Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So I just got Linux - Now What?

• 10-11-2007 12:53pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thanks to everyone who helped me out in this thread - I now have ubuntu working on vmware.

I know it sounds like a stupid question, but what do I do now? Can anyone recommend some fun / interesting things I should be doing?

What do people generally use Linux for? Is it just cause you hate windows? Cause XP works fine and does everything I need it to.

I had just heard loads about Linux and always wanted to give it a go to see what all the fuss was about, but now what? What fun can I have with Linux?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Zascar wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone who helped me out in this thread - I now have ubuntu working on vmware.

I know it sounds like a stupid question, but what do I do now? Can anyone recommend some fun / interesting things I should be doing?

What do people generally use Linux for? Is it just cause you hate windows? Cause XP works fine and does everything I need it to.

I had just heard loads about Linux and always wanted to give it a go to see what all the fuss was about, but now what? What fun can I have with Linux?

It's just an OS at the end of the day. It's not there to be "fun", it's there to work. The software you install on top of the OS can be fun though :).

I don't use it because I hate Windows (I still dual boot for work purposes). But it has many advantages over Windows, the main one in my opinion been the lack of viruses. I don't feel near as edgy doing internet banking or buying stuff online with Linux.

Have a look at the package manager (probably Synatic in Ubuntu but I'm not sure). There are a pile of programs you can download from there that might keep you amused for a while.

Edit: Nearly forgot! If you have a decent graphics card then try out Compiz or Beryl. They are probably installed by default, but not enabled. They're pretty cool 3D desktop effects, but a novelty IMO. I used them for a week and then went back to the regular desktop graphics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If it was a full install of Ubuntu you could have fun with Compiz-fusion, Awn, Virtualbox like these etc but as its virtual its limited what you can do. Try out some of the software in your add/remove like Stellarium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You should check out some of the cool linux only software. Amarok is great. Almost everything else that's really cool is available for windows too because the source code is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Why did you install linux in the first place if you didn't have a reason to? :confused:
    I know it sounds like a stupid question, but what do I do now?

You can now:

a) Not have your OS crash
    b) Not pay hundreds for said OS
    c) Get loads of free software using synaptic
    d) Explore and learn about an alternative OS
    I had just heard loads about Linux and always wanted to give it a go to see what all the fuss was about

TBH, there are thousands of people who only install a linux-based OS out of some sort of sad anti-MS 'fite da powa' type feeling (and to jump on the bandwagon). Luckily for those of us who have an actual use for it, the linux kernel is also a very good base for a stable, secure OS.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

FruitLover wrote: »
    Why did you install linux in the first place if you didn't have a reason to? :confused:

Exactly as you say above in point D: "To Explore and learn about an alternative OS"

I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about, and get a feel for what Linus is like. Windows does everything I need it to, but that doesn't mean I should not explore other options too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Exactly as you say above in point D: "To Explore and learn about an alternative OS"

Not a bad reason, albeit a little underwhelming when you get around to it. TBH, it's only really when you use a linux-based OS as your primary desktop OS and/or on production servers that you really get a feel for its benefits.

I switched to Ubuntu 3 weeks ago by setting up a dual boot to see if i liked it & never boot 2 vista now. I have 2 use Ubuntu for work so i was familiar with it. Only keepin vista 4 dx10 games (gettin dx10 gpu in 2 weeks). Wehn i do boot to vista it drives me mad as my av prog, win defender & everythin else searches for updates.

I've also got 2 mates who tried @ same time, 1 setup dual boot also (Ubuntu & XP)......now he wants 2 remove Xp. Other had hd on lappy blow, was usin Vista, so he installed Ubuntu on external hd. Now he not want Vista back & loves Ubuntu.

I'd advise you to create a small partion (20Gb) for linux & install it proper. I guarantee you it will amaze you how good it is. Compiz-fusion, Awn & Virtualbox alone will keep you busy for ages & once you get the hang of it you will hate goin back to face those virus scans etc :D You will notice the true speed of your pc in linux without an os slowing you down.

Few reasons why you should change:
    -Windows is insecure & new security holes are found every day. Thousand new m$ viruses a month.
    -Linux doesn't need anti-virus progs cos there are virtually no viruses. Been less than 100 viruses ever, but they were quickly patched.
    -Windows hogs your machine & it will slow down the more software you add.
    -Linux allows you take complete control of every aspect of your pc.
    -Linux doesn't crash & when a prog crashes it doesn't bring down the os with it. -You never need to reboot, even after a crash or adding new software.
    -Its compatible & completely usable with really old hardware.
    -Drivers & software update themselves.
    -Regular free updates, new versions every 6 months which are legal to fileshare.
    -The linux forums are very helpful, especially to noobs.
    -Its completely free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Few reasons why you should change:
    -Windows is insecure & new security holes are found every day. Thousand new m$ viruses a month.
    -Linux doesn't need anti-virus progs cos there are virtually no viruses. Been less than 100 viruses ever, but they were quickly patched.

Let's be fair. New security holes are found in Linux all the time too. The difference is that they are fixed very quickly.

As for AV - the tossers that write them are targeting the most prevalent OS. On the other hand the security model that is in Linux (and M$ makes a half hearted attempt to emulate in Pissta) makes it more difficult.

But I most definitely agree with all the rest. I made the complete switch a couple of months ago (still have a Windows box as a file server for my XBMC but only cos I've been too lazy to change the config on the XB) and haven't looked back. Use PC mainly for games but the games that I play work fine in Wine or have a native client. Only exception is the UT3 demo but that will have a fully supported native client shortly after release.

Macros42 wrote: »
    On the other hand the security model that is in Linux (and M$ makes a half hearted attempt to emulate in Pissta) makes it more difficult.

:rolleyes: If thats what m$ were tryin 2 do in Vista by having user account control, its not worked as i found it very annoying & disabled it within minutes of my 1st install of Vista. But i've no problem with the logging in as root methods in linux & it has not bothered me @ all.

Forgot to add earlier that there are av progs for linux, but these are to protect Windows from infection from stuff dl'ed in linux. Linux itself does not get affected by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    :rolleyes: If thats what m$ were tryin 2 do in Vista by having user account control, its not worked as i found it very annoying & disabled it within minutes of my 1st install of Vista. But i've no problem with the logging in as root methods in linux & it has not bothered me @ all.

hence my "half-hearted" comment. Tried UAC for all of 2 minutes - what a pita. sudo ftw :)

But my point was that virus writers target windows as the most used OS. I wasn't defending MS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Macros42 wrote: »
    But my point was that virus writers target windows as the most used OS.

That is not necessarily true. I suggest more compelling reasons are a greater number of unpatched Windows exploits and that the writers have more experience coding for Windows. If you think Linux is not a target, let your sshd listen to the internet on port 22 for a few hours and see all the 'failed password' log entries. They can't find holes easily so they resort to brute-force password attacks. Linux boxen are highly desirable for botnet control and hosting phishing sites.

Contrast the number and severity of exploits on big open source targets like Apache and Firefox to their Microsoft equivalents.
    http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/skoll/anti-virus.php

@Zascar
    I use a Linux distro to do pretty much the same things I previously did in Windows. My system is no longer weighed down with antivirus/antispyware resource hogs and I have a greater choice of applications that are frequently more stable and secure with features I need rather than useless features added to sell a new version.

Advertisement