Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

girlfriend preganant

Options
  • 10-11-2007 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

i am going out with a girl for the relativley short time of two months. She told me last noght she is two weeks pregnant. i am still in shock. has anyone got any advice for me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Two weeks pregnant? Sounds a bit suspicious to me. That seems too soon to know about it and have it confirmed. Has she been to a doctor for a confirmation pregnancy test?

I'd suggest you go with her to the doctor (if she'll let you), see/hear the result, how far along the pregnancy is, what is the expected due date etc.

Don't insult her or anything, just tell her you'd like to go to a doctor to see everything is OK, ask questions of the doctor etc. Is it possible she's just making this up and telling you this to test what your reaction would be if a pregnancy were to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Mind Hunter 85

hi
    i think she means by two weeks that she thinks its two weeks since conception which is in fact four weeks pregnant if dated by last period , suprisingly not all women know how a pregnancy is dated if they've never been pregnant before.
    but yeah like the other poster either get her to do a test with you ,or go to the doctor together.
    only when its confirmed ,if she is , you can go from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

As Asta says she probably means 2 weeks from conception which is officially 4 weeks pregnant according to last period date. It is of course possible for her to know she is pregnant. Pregnancy tests can show up positive even a few days before the period is due. With my first I knew I felt different and did a test on the day my period was due and it was postive. Some people start to feel different very early on. Others might not "feel" pregnant until their period is a few weeks late.
    OP if you and your girlfriend had unprotected sex (or messing about!) 2 weeks ago (or thereabouts) then it's possible she was worried about it. if her period is regular as clockwork and didn't arrive on the expected morning,.. she may have done a test to put her mind at ease. OP please don't make your girlfriend feel you think she is making this up. She is likely to be even more scared and shocked about this than you are.

What specific advice were you looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Even if a woman "feels" pregnant and has missed a period and even if she has used a home test kit, the only way to be sure that there is a pregnancy is to go to a doctor and get it confirmed. Of course 40 weeks can be counted etc, etc, but there's no point sitting down, working out due dates and getting tied up in knots with worry about the situation until you know for definite there's something to worry about. Of course, contraception can be discussed with the doctor too, particularly if it turns out that she's not pregnant and it was just a scare.

dame wrote: »
    Even if a woman "feels" pregnant and has missed a period and even if she has used a home test kit, the only way to be sure that there is a pregnancy is to go to a doctor and get it confirmed. Of course 40 weeks can be counted etc, etc, but there's no point sitting down, working out due dates and getting tied up in knots with worry about the situation until you know for definite there's something to worry about. Of course, contraception can be discussed with the doctor too, particularly if it turns out that she's not pregnant and it was just a scare.

Most doctors these days don't actually "confirm" a pregnancy if a woman has missed a period and has had a positive result on a pregnancy test. Well... mine didn't anyway... I was never sure there was actually a baby in there til I had a scan at 11/ 13 weeks.

In my error though I did assume the OPs girlfriend did actually take a test and it was positive. If not then she should and I agree "feelings" are not confirmation of a pregnancy.

OP if your girlfriend hasn't taken a test then you should encourage her to but I think the emphasis should be on "to be sure to be sure" rather than for you to see that she's telling the truth. If the test is positive then a visit to the doctor is in order and the two of you can start to make decisions about what happens next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

thanks every one for replying to me. to fill everyone in on what happened i am only going out with this girl for two months, she missed a period did a home test kit. it proved positive and she went to a doctors clinic. he did a test and it proved positive and he told her she was about 2 weeks gone. now, she also told me that the doctor did a scan and he was able to show her someting in the scan that proved her pregnancy. Would doctors have these scanning machines in their clinics? i thought she would have to go to a hospital for this? also could you see something after two weeks? the doctor told her to come back in four weeks for a check up and she is anxious for me to go as well which i also am. any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Thanks for the update.
    Some doctors have scanning machines (called ultrasound), but very, very few GPs do; if she went to a maternity hospital then yes, they would have one, as would a private consultant (such as in the Blackrock clinic), but they tend to be expensive. Also if the embryo's age is 2 weeks, she is 4 weeks pregnant (as you count from the last period, as was mentioned previously). It's a little strange for a doctor to say 2 weeks pregnant, but I guess it could happen. At that stage an ultrasound would show very little- probably just a black spot where the amniotic sac is, certainly no baby. Did she get a print out of the scan? Most doctors give one as a keep-sake.

I would definitely go with her in 4 weeks. By that time, you should be able to see a heartbeat if the pregnancy is viable, and you can also ask the doctor questions; even if you decide not to stay together, do go, because doctors are used to all sort of situations and will be able to advice you both on options regarding adoption, what you can do to support her even if you're not together etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We had an ultrasound done in the Coombe at 5 weeks - at that stage all they can see is a tiny round blob - had to go back about 10 days later and they could see a heartbeat then. This is using a pretty sophisticated ultrasound machine (and a vaginal probe, no way a sensor on the abdomen could see anything so early.)
    The GP can do a urine test but unless it's the sort that's sent off to the hospital lab, it won't be that different from what you can buy yourself in the chemist.
    It seems very odd that the GP is supposed to have done a 'scan' that early - unless she meant something else entirely.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

viztopia wrote: »
    i am going out with a girl for the relativley short time of two months. She told me last noght she is two weeks pregnant. i am still in shock. has anyone got any advice for me?

have you asked her what she wants to do? This is just me being old and cynical but if she suggests having an abortion in the UK and could you give her €500 ask for another test to be done and you to see the results.

viztopia wrote: »
    thanks every one for replying to me. to fill everyone in on what happened i am only going out with this girl for two months, she missed a period did a home test kit. it proved positive and she went to a doctors clinic. he did a test and it proved positive and he told her she was about 2 weeks gone. now, she also told me that the doctor did a scan and he was able to show her someting in the scan that proved her pregnancy. Would doctors have these scanning machines in their clinics? i thought she would have to go to a hospital for this? also could you see something after two weeks? the doctor told her to come back in four weeks for a check up and she is anxious for me to go as well which i also am. any thoughts?

It's unlikely that her GP actually did a scan to be honest. Even if they did have the equipment I don't know why they would do one at that early stage? I'm also thinking that if she had already missed her period it's unlikely her GP told her she was 2 weeks pregnant as they date the pregnancy from the last period.
    Is it physically possible that she got pregnant earlier in your relationship?

• Advertisement
Advertisement