Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build problem

Options
  • 10-11-2007 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

I've started putting together my new build today and I've encountered a problem which I can't quite figure out. Basically the heatsink fan spins once then stops completely on boot up. After the post it tries to spin again and the same thing happens. Now my friend has the exact same components as we bought the same stuff together and he is getting the exact same problem.

We first built his fully and then turned it on to see if it worked. It posted fine with one beep but the fan wouldn't start like mine. Then today I put mine together with just the motherboard CPU and RAM in and the same thing is happening. So I figure it couldn't be the PSU anyway. I'm kinda at a loss as to what to do.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

Make sure your bios is flashed to the latest version, best thing to do here would be to try another proc fan on there if you can find one. If you get the same result I would say it may be incompatibility between your fan and motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

That could be totally normal......does it boot up?

Some of those fans only turn on when required.....(if they are connected to motherboard)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Anima wrote: »
    I've started putting together my new build today and I've encountered a problem which I can't quite figure out. Basically the heatsink fan spins once then stops completely on boot up. After the post it tries to spin again and the same thing happens. Now my friend has the exact same components as we bought the same stuff together and he is getting the exact same problem.

We first built his fully and then turned it on to see if it worked. It posted fine with one beep but the fan wouldn't start like mine. Then today I put mine together with just the motherboard CPU and RAM in and the same thing is happening. So I figure it couldn't be the PSU anyway. I'm kinda at a loss as to what to do.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Make sure you have the extra aux 6/8 pin power connectors hooked up from the PSU to the motherboard.

I would advise you to consult the motherboard manual and double check what power connections are on your board.

Didn't RTFM for a friends build and didn't hook up the needed aux power connector and got the same symptoms:o.

So RTFM and make sure the power connections are done properly. Other than that it might me something shorting the motherboard, loose cable or a screw etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I haven't tried just leaving it on for a bit and see what happens as I was worried it might damage the processor, which is a Q6600. Whats the longest I should leave it running before it would be risky? I've read the manual loads of times and as far as I can tell all power connections are perfect i.e. the fan is getting juice as well as the processor and motherboard.

I'm ruling out the fact that its something like a short because its happening to both of our PCs in the exact same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

just try it on another fan connector first . You may have it enabled to run 0% in the bios.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

make sure that you have you have main power plug plugged in ,and also 4pin power to mobo square 4pin connector in all the way.Maybe you have 2 power switchs ,like me ,one on off at rear for psu,and 1 at front ,power to pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Sounds exactly like what happened when I forgot that 4pin power plug also. Have a good look, there could be a cover over half the socket wich you need to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

Anima wrote: »
    Now my friend has the exact same components as we bought the same stuff together and he is getting the exact same problem.

Hello, I'm Anima's friend.
    We seemed to have solved the problem.
    That could be totally normal......does it boot up?

Some of those fans only turn on when required.....(if they are connected to motherboard)

Its looks like Neon-Circles was correct.
    Anima left it on and the fan started eventually. There is some kind of a "smart fan control" which is switched on by default on our mobos. So it seems our fans only start when the cpu requires it. Anima left his system on for a few minutes and cpu temp settled around 36 I think.
    Thanks for all yer suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

;);)

Is there a heatsink under the fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah there is, its the stock fan. Its pretty rubbish, I was just watching the temps in the bios and it was just gradually climbing, not the best :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Stock Intel fans are OK but Quads run hot anyway, what sort of temps are you getting? From what your friend posted, sounds perfectly normal for a quad with stock cooling.

Also, disable smart fan in bios and use speedfan to manually control fan speed if you wish, if you're not happy with temps. It's a great program for monitoring and adjusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Go to fan control in the BIOS. You can set it to turn on when it reaches a certain temp, or keep speening if you set the temp to something low like 25c.

The is perfectly normal behaviour.

Advertisement