Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishmonger in Co. Kildare/West Dublin

• 10-11-2007 4:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

As the title says. I live in Naas but all I have is fish counters in Tesco, Superquinn etc. selling farmed crap.

Does anyone know of anywhere that I can buy fresh caught salmon etc. rather than farmed crap?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

AFAIK Superquinn sells fresh sea-caught fish.
    Some Dunnes do too - I think there are only a few though.

Contact BIM for info - I'm sure they will send you any details that you need.
    www.bim.ie
    http://www.seafoodcircle.ie/Pages/mapdetails.aspx?county=Kildare

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Superquinn in Naas only seems to sell farmed salmon, sea bass, trout etc. They are the worst I have come across. Super Valu only seemed to have farmed salmon.

To be honest it's mainly salmon I'm interested in and I am unable to find anything other than farmed.

Ballyman wrote: »
    Superquinn in Naas only seems to sell farmed salmon, sea bass, trout etc. They are the worst I have come across. Super Valu only seemed to have farmed salmon.

To be honest it's mainly salmon I'm interested in and I am unable to find anything other than farmed.

It is illegal to fish, sell, cook and serve wild salmon - as there is a driftnet ban on salmon fishing. You may catch it yourself in rivers (if you have a licence) but salmon is out of season at the moment. Irish farmed Salmon is apparently the best in the world - so farmed 'crap' will have to suffice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

My issue isn't with the taste etc. of farmed fish it's the fact that they are farmed and thus fed incorrectly to make them as large as possible as quick as possible and this to me isn't right. Apart from the fact that the level of potential toxins in farmed fish is much higher.

I'd prefer to pay more for something that was caught in the open seas.

Thanks for your replies.

Ballyman wrote: »
    My issue isn't with the taste etc. of farmed fish it's the fact that they are farmed and thus fed incorrectly to make them as large as possible as quick as possible and this to me isn't right.

Farmed salmon are fed a feed made of fish meal, fish oils, vitamins, minerals, some vegatables and other essential elements. This consitutency reflects what they eat in the wild - Salmon are carnivores, so they will eat other fish. The manufacturers of the fish meal for farmed salmon source the fish they used for this from sustainable stocks of fish which arent used for human consumption, and from fresh trimming from the fish industry.

On the point of fast-feeding them:
    Salmon are particularly slow growers, and their growth is also dependent on their stage in their life cycle. So, it take on average 3 years for a salmon to go from egg to fully grown fish ready for harvest. This would reflect a wild salmon at sea which could be caught by a rod and line.
    Salmon are not force fed to get to a larger size. They are carefully fed to ensure they trive as best as possible. It's the same as a cattle or dairy farmer. It's in their best interest to make sure that their herd is happy and healthy. Obviosuly this includes being fed well. But you dont overfeed them to the point were they dont have a tender flesh any more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement