Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best place to get bodykit?(Limerick)

Options
  • 10-11-2007 5:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone tell me the best place around Munster(preferably Limerick) to get an R32 bodykit for a MkIV Golf? How much would i be looking to pay for full fitting and paint?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

Try Dreamworx ....decky 087-9634108, based in kilcornan co. limerick

They can supply, fit and spray.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Have you used them before? What are they like for value etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

Havent used them myself but i have seen their work and it is top class !!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Second for dreamworx. Not used them myself, but i've seen their work at carshows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

If the are fibre glass replicas walk away!

There are some ABS plastic reps on ebay rare enough though

If you want the proper OEM you will pay though,like everything you get what you pay for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

any price on the r32 kit im thinking of getting one myself 2.. only have checked out ebay so far. around 700 euro for 17in r32 alloys on ebay with tires

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭whacker4fun

tossy wrote: »
    If the are fibre glass replicas walk away!

There are some ABS plastic reps on ebay rare enough though

If you want the proper OEM you will pay though,like everything you get what you pay for.

Are the fibre glass/ glass reinforced plastic that bad??? Ive spoke with a lot of guys that fix them and they have said they are not that bad, soemtimes you may have a problem with fxing them but apart from that if fitted correctly are great looking....
    Id get the abs plastic front bumper and grilles tho........

You might get away with fibre glass replica skirts and ABS bumpers but the whole kit is so low that you would have to be super careful,like one case of parking to close to a kerb(front in or rear in) and you would crack the fibre glass so easy and once it starts cracking it gets so weak and keeps going.

I would also recommend the lower front bumper lip from a seat leon cupra R around 30 euro from your seat dealer fits the bottom of the R bumper perfectly with just a little trimming at the sides and gives you that little extra protection if you bottom out on a bad road.

If you do go ahead there are some rules though

1 don't put an R32 badge on it

2 lower it

3 Don't fit anything less than 18" rims 17" rims will make it look crap.

Also don't fit any crap boy racer wheels like wolf race or whatever,the original R32 wheels are OZ aristos and although not made anymore are still availible on ebay and there are also some replica's about but the weigh a ton

I have the original r32 18" wheels on it for some time now....gets alot of attention with em. Ive looked into getting the kit for a long time now, some garages wont even price putting an r32 fibre glass kit, they maintain it will crack, while others say it will be fine once properly primed and painted.
    The other problem then is the double exhaust, very costly, its a miltek exhaust which will really look the part.
    I know what you mean about it being low, even a gti golf has a very low front, I pulled the bumper off on a kerb some time back, so teh fact im on sites alot, its making me think I wont bother!!!!!!!

All the golfs are low not the suspension set up but just the sump - front splitter etc - try driving around with a full sport suspension :eek:

Are the wheels originals or reps? nice one either way - nice OEM mod

The factory fitted exhaust on the R isn't milltek but you would have to get a milltek back box (at the least) or some other R32 replica exhaust.

An original R32 exhaust would be cheaper but it would not fit due the positioning on the silencer etc due to the 4motion set up on the R32.

If i was you i would go for an R line rear bumper alot rarer and alot nicer on a car that isnt an R32 if you know what i mean,it has one large cut out on the left for a single tip exhaust something similar to the anniversary valance

• Advertisement

I bought them maybe 3 years ago and was under the idea that they were originals, but they do weigh quite a bit, so now im not sure,but the still look awesome.
    I was just going to get a welder to make up a replica exhaust and use that, didnt see any problems in that, i just dont wana have a big purrrr out of the car after so I wouldnt bother going to a mod shop.
    can i ask a stupid question, are the fibre glass kits just a mould from the original and is the abs plastic a mould aswell? In general are most body kits on cars fibre glass?????

Most OEM bodykits i.e factory fitted original spec body kits would be abs plastic(Gti.R32,M3 etc etc),its stronger but more expensive,that goes for european cars not sure about japs (but who cares about them :D )

Next time you are changing a wheel check the back of them for a 0.Z or VW stamp,chances are if you have them 3 years even if the are reps the are probably pretty good ones.

Yeah any decent welder will make an exhaust for you - you would need to find 2 stainless steel tips (the part that sticks out from under the bumper) to make it look the part.

Yea thats what i thought, but sure i reckon that all them little civic's and boyracers are just fibre glass. No im not the mechanic so who knows.
    Id say ill buy the front bumper out of abs plastic, rest fibre glass....
    see how it goes???

yeah most would be fibre glass,fibre glass is ok until the first time you catch a kerb or it gets hit be a flying stone from a car in front etc...

ABS is just much stronger and also more flexible,most aftermarket fibre glass replica kits wont fit as well either so that might be a thing to watch for!

What colour is the car by the way? whats the spec engine etc....

What colour is the car by the way? whats the spec engine etc....[/QUOTE]

its black, I brought it in from England, gt tdi standard 130bhp but was ECU remapped to 150bhp+, a couple of mechanics have told me its anything up to 170bhp but ive never gotten it checked on a dyno! As long as its able to whipe most boyracers I dont care!
    What do u mean by aftermarket??????

the 130s are a great engine.I can tell you it would be putting out 150 as standard most 130s ive seen have been,a remap would see 170,might be worth getting it dyno'd as if it hasn't been remapped or hasn't been remapped properly then you don't know what you are missing!

Its not a GT though thats only a badge stuck on by the UK dealers no such thing as a mark 4 GT TDI - what you have is a highline or a trandline or what ever spec it is.

After market simply means parts/bodykits etc made by 3rd party companies for a particular car.

Its not a GT though thats only a badge stuck on by the UK dealers no such thing as a mark 4 GT TDI - what you have is a highline or a trandline or what ever spec it is.

I knew that the dealers put them on, but i thought the 130 and 150 standards were the onlt GT mark 4 golf car. I was told that some of the dealers but them on the 115 and 110 tdi's to get more cash for them. Like the 130 AND 150 have all the additional extra's but I know that both have highline written on the label behind the spare wheel in the boot, and thats the one of the ways you know your getting an original...it has the out put power on this label aswel so you will know if its nt a remmapped 110bhp tdi.
    If they only do this, and there is no such thing as a Gt mark 4 golf, how can they get away with this....
    theres been a few arguments about this before on this board.....worth searching it....

If it says highline then you have a well spec'ed car not every 130 is a highline though some are comfortline-trendline etc.

For instance a 110 or 100 highline will have everything your car has except the 130 engine.

The idea of badging them GT TDIs came from the 150 tdi which shares a few things with the MK4 GTI such as the same suspension(a sport suspension of sorts but still awful)

Don't get me wrong i'm not knocking your car the 130 is one of my favourite MK4 engines after the 3.2 v6 but this issue of GT TDIs is a bug bear of mine,and i know its been well argued here and on many other sites too but the are a gimmic thought up by dealers.

The only true GT TDI is the new 170 GT MK5 but even now the dealers are messing that up as they are badging MK5 140's as GT sports and even soem 105bhp one's also - its a joke to be honest.

Agh I know u aint knocking the car,its a subject like u that i did alot of research into....and it amazes me how they can get away with it. But teh dealer with argue the point different to get a sale.
    I was told when buying the car to check it out that you aint getting a rip off...very easily done if it someone that knows f&^k all about the cars! get a trendline 110 remapped to 150 with a gt tdi badge!!!!
    Ive seen a decent few of the new tdi...there all 2.0 litre standard. the basic is the 140 but its badged as a 2.0 tdi......so really been honest you dont know what type of tdi your sitting at the lights against.
    Wanted the 150bhp myself but any i seen were drove into the ground and from what i hear the 140 engine is far more reliable.

You got the better of the two engines trust me the 130 is a far superior engine,the 150 suffers from serious turbo lag over the 130 and the 130 is very tune-able,i know of a few 130's pushing 230bhp

The newer 140 is a much more refined diesel engine and a world apart form the PD engines we have in our golfs.

As for GT TDIs i have seen anything from 90bhp to 150bhp golfs badged as GT's with various different levels of trim,some even vans(WTF?) and some with textured rub strips and bog standard talilights with orange indicators some people haven't a clue really!

Maybe it pisses me off too much,im taking medicine for it :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement