Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Is The Universe Expanding Into?

Options
  • 10-11-2007 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭

hi this has been playing on my mind for a long time,we know that the universe is getting bigger and expanding all the time but into what? i cant get my head around that if it is growing and taking space from something else what is it? and whatever it is what are the boundaries of that space it is taking? sorry i hope have asked this correctly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

That is the whole mystery OP and somthing we find hard to get our heads around ,the whole concept of this vast never ending space , but if it's any comfort to you ,this verse from an old script might ease your mind a bit

' Desridata
    ' you are a child of the universe , no less than the trees and the stars you have a right to be here, and whether or not it is clear to you , no doubt the universe is unfolding ..as it should ' .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

hi this has been playing on my mind for a long time,we know that the universe is getting bigger and expanding all the time but into what? i cant get my head around that if it is growing and taking space from something else what is it? and whatever it is what are the boundaries of that space it is taking? sorry i hope have asked this correctly

It's not expanding into anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah but even nothing is something ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

ok well the universe expands into whatever it is it expands into, well what is the whole universe/expansion etc etc contained in? where are the limits? whats holding everthing in?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

ok well the universe expands into whatever it is it expands into, well what is the whole universe/expansion etc etc contained in? where are the limits? whats holding everthing in?

First result on Google, start reading this

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=274

• Advertisement

thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Its not expanding into anything. The Extraverse in itself doesn't exist. Space doesn't exist until the expansion of the universe brings it into existence. Simple really.

*Ain't I? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Might it not be squishing up against another universe in the multiverse?

And what is the edge of the universe made of? Is it solid? If not could I theoretically put my head through it to have a look outside? :D

now your talkin bendibus!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah but even nothing is something ;)

Mike.

Have always said that meself. There's no such thing as nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

the human brain cannot comprehend zero or infinity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

From a religious viewpoint we are told god is responsible for the universe ,and we are back to who made god ?

Or nothingness........or even before that ,it's a never ending concept that has no answer. Thats from a scientific viewpoint .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You can see why people prefer to put it all down to the work of a Supreme Being.

So much easier on the brain :)

Mike.

Advertisement