Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Checking Brake Lights

Options
  • 10-11-2007 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

My daughter did her driving test yesterday and one of the questions the examiner asked her was how to check if the brake lights were working while in the car on your own.She didnt know and he didnt tell her.She said press the brake and get someone to check lights but that was not the answer he was looking for.How would you do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Get a brick and put it on the brake pedal LOL :D

Personally if i needed to check mine i'd reverse in front of a shop window or something reflective and look in your mirror . But to be honest i doubt many people in this country actually check their brake lights.

Strange question to get asked. Did she pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I don't know what the 'official' answer is - but I check them by looking at the reflection in the window of the house across the road as I'm reversing out of my driveway :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

There's a white wall behind me when im reversing out of the driveway, i check the brakelights on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

a) Drive 100km/h in the overtaking lane of the M7, with nothing in the driving lane.
    b) Wait for someone to tailgate you, it should not take long.
    c) Slam on the brakes.
    d) If the person behind hits you, your brake lights don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

testicle wrote: »
    a) Drive 100km/h in the overtaking lane of the M7, with nothing in the driving lane.
    c) Slam on the brakes.

Best answer ever :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

c) Slam on the brakes.

First time I smiled all day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

MAYOMICK wrote: »
    My daughter did her driving test yesterday and one of the questions the examiner asked her was how to check if the brake lights were working while in the car on your own.She didnt know and he didnt tell her.She said press the brake and get someone to check lights but that was not the answer he was looking for.How would you do it?
    As far as I know, that's the correct answer. Or maybe check them when in the rearview mirror when parked in front of a window at night?
    c) Slam on the brakes.
    I love it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

They were looking for: reverse up to a white/reflective wall and look for the reflection in your rear view mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

my car checks mine.. a light comes on if a bulb blows in any of them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

jimogr wrote: »
    They were looking for: reverse up to a white/reflective wall and look for the reflection in your rear view mirror.

AFAIR that is the answer given in the rules of the road book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

MAYOMICK wrote: »
    My daughter did her driving test yesterday and one of the questions the examiner asked her was how to check if the brake lights were working while in the car on your own.

Surely the answer is that as a learner, she wouldn't be in the car on her own...... (-:

Advertisement