Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving in bus lanes when they're 'open'

Options
  • 10-11-2007 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi Everyone,
    I'm going to be doing my test shortly and just had a question about something instructor told me about bus lanes.

According to him, if a bus lane is 'open' (i.e. it's outside the indicated for use by bus/taxis only) then you have to drive in it as it is the leftmost lane.
    He said if you're not then the tester will deem you to not have read road signage (not sure what faults would be noted, or what grade..).

He also said that if you have an accident while driving in the 'main' traffic lane (i.e. right lane) then you are deemed to be overtaking and therefore at fault.

I've had lessons with quite a few instructors at various times and no one has told me this before.

While it does seem to make sense, I'm just wondering if anyone has heard this before or if it's common knowledge and i've just missed hearing it until now?!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Sounds like cobblers to me.

First up, all bus lanes (to my knowledge) are either 24 hour, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. or (very few) 7-10 a.m. and 4-7 p.m. So in the vast majority of cases, when you would be doing your test, the bus lane would be active, and you should not be in it.
    He also said that if you have an accident while driving in the 'main' traffic lane (i.e. right lane) then you are deemed to be overtaking and therefore at fault.

Say, for the sake of argument, the bus lane is empty and you hit someone from behind in the other, right-hand, lane. Who are you 'overtaking'? This really sounds like a 'friend of a friend told me..' situation.

Simply put, read the sign, and if you are permitted in the bus lane at that time, drive in it if nessecary, if not, stay out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

First up, all bus lanes (to my knowledge) are either 24 hour, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. or (very few) 7-10 a.m. and 4-7 p.m. So in the vast majority of cases, when you would be doing your test, the bus lane would be active, and you should not be in it
    The bus lane into Dublin at Drumcondra is 700-1000 and 1200-1900. A test candidate would be required to use it if brought there between 1000 and 1200 (mainly so that they can demonstrate to the tester that they read the signs and act accordingly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 _learner

Thanks for the replies.

Where I am doing my test there are a number of buslanes from 7am-10am only, my test is at 11 so I will drive in it.

Cheers!

_learner wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

Where I am doing my test there are a number of buslanes from 7am-10am only, my test is at 11 so I will drive in it.

Cheers!
    If you are driving in a bus lane and see a bus stopped up ahead, move over into the other lane in good time. Don't wait until you are close to the bus. Moving out in good time demonstrates to the tester that you are able to read the road ahead and take appropriate action.

Also, if there are several blockages along the bus lane (eg. buses/taxis dropping/picking up, street sweepers, delivery vans etc.) stay out until the lane is reasonably clear. Don't be tempted to move in and out in quick succession. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Theres a couple of bus lanes near Phibsboro that are 16.00 - 18.00 (think thats the exact hours).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If you are driving in a bus lane and see a bus stopped up ahead, move over into the other lane in good time. Don't wait until you are close to the bus. Moving out in good time demonstrates to the tester that you are able to read the road ahead and take appropriate action.

Also, if there are several blockages along the bus lane (eg. buses/taxis dropping/picking up, street sweepers, delivery vans etc.) stay out until the lane is reasonably clear. Don't be tempted to move in and out in quick succession. ;)

Does th esolid whte linestop being a solid white line when outside bus lane hours thiough?

Stekelly wrote: »
    Does th esolid whte linestop being a solid white line when outside bus lane hours thiough?
    The simple answer is that I don't know. It's been the subject of speculation here on many occasions but we haven't been able to get any definitive answers.

I wasn't penalised for crossing them in any of my tests and I've enver heard of anyone else being penalised. Nor have I heard of any motorist being 'done' by a Garda for crossing an 'non operational' bus lane line.

Personally, I think that the line is only legally effective when the bus lane is operational but I'm open to correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 _learner

Thanks for the advice above Wishbone Ash, hopefully I'll remember it all on the day.

Seems to me the line marking the bus lane is just that, a bus lane marking and doesn't have the same effect as the "continuous white line".. but also open to correction :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

I know it seems obvious but so many people on the road have put me in doubt. You would think that bus lines that aren't 24 would mean that you can drive in them outside of these operation times, yes? So why on earth do i hardly ever see anybody using them outside these times? Especially between 10 and 12. I drive regularly down Cork street and i use them when 'allowed' but i seem to be one of the very few that do, aside from the taxi drivers and buses obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Keep it hush, those who can't read signs are best left queuing behind eachother leaving the bus lanes free to get those who can to their destination that bit quicker ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 guy_awoke

Well,

I did the test recently and my instructor (well qualified ROSPA, IAM etc) said that outside the operational bus lane times, the left most part of the road must be adopted so you must drive in the "lane", however I hardly ever see anyone do this, partly because the signs are so infrequent and way too small and also because everyone just tends to follow the crowd (the old "they can't all be wrong can they?" mentality)
    Added to the fact that there may be buses frequently stopping which impedes their progress and also because people tend to habitually drive in the right hand lane of any multi lane road (mostly to avoid parked cars and other obstructions ahead so it usually gives them the straightest course, also the misconception of the outer lane of a motorway being a permanent lane to drive in) - it becomes clear that 99% of motorists are unaware of this. However you decide to drive, for the purposes of the test you must adopt the left most position on the road if the lane is not operational at the time of your test. As for the crossing of the line, as far as I know the lane "doesn't exist" outside the times indicated so technically there isn't a line to cross there any more. In any case, in the new rules of the road it says you can cross a solid white line to avoid an obstruction (not to overtake) if it is safe to do so.

Hope this helps

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Just found this while searching the net. Very useful. See page 15 "A fault should not be recorded where a driver does not drive in a bus lane during the relevant hours, including bus applicants."
    http://www.rsa.ie/SERVICES/upload/File/ADI%20FORMS/843_RSA_Marking_Guides_BOOKLET.pdf

Advertisement