Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's June '93, and you've just been made Chelsea boss...

• 10-11-2007 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

It's June 1993 and the worlds richest man, Bill Gates, has gotten a bit heady with all the money he has suddenly found himself sitting on. He needs a plaything, a casual business investment that won't lose him a lot of money (comparatively at least) and will provide him with some weekend entertainment.

He buys Chelsea. He doesn't have a completely limitless supply of cash to invest but is willing to break the bank on some big-name signings and some good players to "guarantee" success.

As a close friend, and footballing expert, Mr. Gates sees you as perfect for the job of taking this super-team to where it belongs... the top of world football. The recently appointed David Webb is immediately sacked and you are given your transfer kitty and told to work your magic.

Straight down to business.

Who do you sign, and how do you justify the signing to your superior?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Keane and Shearer and ehh WTF!?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Keane and Shearer and ehh WTF!?

kdjac

Mr. Gates does not accept your justification, please come back later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    It's June 1993 and the worlds richest man, Bill Gates, has gotten a bit heady with all the money he has suddenly found himself sitting on. He needs a plaything, a casual business investment that won't lose him a lot of money (comparatively at least) and will provide him with some weekend entertainment.

He buys Chelsea. He doesn't have a completely limitless supply of cash to invest but is willing to break the band on some big-name signings and some good players to "guarantee" success.

As a close friend, and footballing expert, Mr. Gates sees you as perfect for the job of taking this super-team to where it belongs... the top of world football. The recently appointed David Webb is immediately sacked and you are given your transfer kitty and told to work your magic.

Straight down to business.

Who do you sign, and how do you justify the signing to your superior?

I thought Gates didnt make his money till Windows 95? A bit premature maybe?

kearnsr wrote: »
    I thought Gates didnt make his money till Windows 95? A bit premature maybe?

Nope. Top of the Forbes list in 1993.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Keane and Shearer

and this 21yr old french youngster ive been hearing so much about, Zinedine Zidane.

why these players you ask Mr Gates? well cause you want to win the league dont you, with these players i guarantee you will. plus the french dude will nutt you one otherwise.

• Advertisement

Ferdinand and Batty

kdjac

and this 21yr old french youngster ive been hearing so much about, Zinedine Zidane.

why these players you ask Mr Gates? well cause you want to win the league dont you, with these players i guarantee you will. plus the french dude will nutt you one otherwise.

Mr. Gates does not accept physical threats, but is curious about this French youngster. He will look into it further.

8 posts in and i get it.

Le tissier cos hes deadly.

kdjac

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

8 posts in and i get it.

kdjac

I still dont get it. Why would Bill Gates buy Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'd definitely sign up Lionel Messi to the youth team. Him and Cesc. 6 year olds are an excellent investment Mr Gates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Frank Arnesen

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

Schmeichel, Bruce, Sol Campbell, Irwin, Sheringham

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I keep hearing about this Brazilian lad called Rivaldo, could we scout him Mr. Gates?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

also Gabriel Batistuta

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Seba Rossi.

Paolo Maldini

Redondo

Rivaldo

Baggio

Viali

And a few of the better players from the ****ty PL thing we are playing in.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Frank Arnesen

hmmm he retired in 88

Class player tho back in the day

kdjac

Seaneh to win the PL in them days you needed power and strength :)

They wouldnt cut it tbh.

redondo of course anywhere in the world.

kdjac

Roberto Baggio is a proven goal machine from Juventus we could look at my scouts tell me he might become the World player of the year very soon. can i sign him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Roberto Baggio, Gabriel Batistuta, Lothar Matthaus and Fernando Redondo. Sorted. Maybe get the 12-year old Luke Chadwick into the youth system as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

This is a strange thread :)

• Advertisement

I've offered Southampton infinite money but the player just doesn't seem to want to leave. No ambition, forget about him.
    I'd definitely sign up Lionel Messi to the youth team. Him and Cesc. 6 year olds are an excellent investment Mr Gates.

Done.
    Brendygg wrote: »
    Schmeichel, Bruce, Sol Campbell, Irwin, Sheringham

I'll see what I can do.
    Seaneh wrote: »
    I keep hearing about this Brazilian lad called Rivaldo, could we scout him Mr. Gates?

Very good, I'll send some of my henchmen over there now.
    Brendygg wrote: »
    also Gabriel Batistuta

Excellent, I've heard good things. The offer is in the pipeline.
    Seaneh wrote: »
    Seba Rossi.

Paolo Maldini

Redondo

Well thats the goalkeeping and left-back sorted anyway, plus a decent midfielder to boot. Well done, I like your work.
    Roberto Baggio is a proven goal machine from Juventus we could look at my scouts tell me he might become the World player of the year very soon. can i sign him

I'll keep an eye out, does this guy take penalties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Mr Gates, you'll be needing a worldclass DM and a playmaker !! Splash the cash on Desailly and Boban.

And Romario is a guaranteed goal-machine - im sure Barca will let him go if the price is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Warren Barton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Marco Van Basten. His injuries are behind him and I see big things for him in 93-94.

Failing that Thomas Brolin. Amazing in Euro 92 and playing well for Parma. Bound to dominate the game for the next decade if judging on current form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

me. all i need is some discipline and i'll be a great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Warren Barton.
    A decent right-back for sure but c'mon!.....with the money Gates is pumping into the club, he should be aiming a lot higher.

Also, Wimbledon is a local rival, so they'll be reluctant to sell in case they piss off their fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

SofaKing wrote: »
    A decent right-back for sure but c'mon!.....with the money Gates is pumping into the club, he should be aiming a lot higher.

Also, Wimbledon is a local rival, so they'll be reluctant to sell in case they piss off their fans.

Djimi Traore's dad?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Pigman II wrote: »
    Marco Van Basten. His injuries are behind him and I see big things for him in 93-94.

Failing that Thomas Brolin. Amazing in Euro 92 and playing well for Parma. Bound to dominate the game for the next decade if judging on current form.
    Why not push the boat out? I'm sure you can come up with a few dead footballers if you think hard enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jesus, getting hammered 5-0 by a **** team seems to be the straw tthat broke the camels back for Joe, his brain's melted.:)

Anywho, Ronaldo is the obvious chioce, he was just starting to do the business, a trip to the WC is on the horizon.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    Jesus, getting hammered 5-0 by a **** team seems to be the straw tthat broke the camels back for Joe, his brain's melted.:)
    Anywho, Ronaldo is the obvious chioce, he was just starting to do the business, a trip to the WC is on the horizon.

But the PL was one on power and strength in them days, how anyone think of a fancy player (he was like 16).

Dont you people watch the stupid sky one shows about football in the early days fo the PL :p

/lol 5-0 may have did it considering shels were at home :eek:

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

I'll keep an eye out, does this guy take penalties?

I love it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Theres this french fella, Cantona. I hear he has a really powerful kick, hell be hard to prise away from Chelseas Manchester rivals but hes worth the investment

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

alright Mr. Gates, i've two suggestions for you. One for the present and one for the future.

I think we should buy back Vinnie Jones, i know we only sold him last summer but this league's won on strength & power & this guy's put on quite a bit of the former since he left us, once he gains momentum no force can stop him! (Please find inclosed image).

Now one for the future.
    We've all been hearing about this young guy Roy Keane, how he's the "next Bryan Robson" etc etc. Well that just won't cut it in this competitive day & age, now he might be only 12 years old but here's the "next-next Bryan Robson"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mr. Gates I feel we should have a look at the current Portuguese set up. They have a couple of players just coming out of the under 21s who have a bright future ahead of them. My source has indicated to me that Manchester City have turned down the opportunity to take one of them on trial. His name is Luis Figo. I have a feeling that they may regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭weemcd

vieria, cantona, bergkamp & cannavaro, buffon if the budget would stretch to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Gullit, Vialli, Zola, Cannavaro, Buffon, Van Basten and Keane or Davids would be my choices, gotta keep ol Dinie Wise in the team, imagine a midfield with Wise and Keane in the centre... body parts would be flying :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Ronaldo for the youth system. A future 3 time world player of the year in the making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It's 1993 - The Premiership is still mainly UK players and nowhere near the skill level or attractiveness of the superstars in Italy, I'll have a hard time persuading the best in Europe to come anywhere near us so....

We've still got some decent platers like Le Saux, Frank Sinclair, Wise, Townsend and Graham Stuart.

I want to add the following :)

Peter Schmeichel - top keeper, will become the best in the business
    Roy Keane - young Irishman, midfield dynamo, we'll win Europe with this guy.

We'll win this league with 2 decent wingers, these two are the best crossers of the ball around.
    Stuart Ripley
    Jason Wilcox

Chris Waddle - invaluable experience, and still an unbelievable player

Strikers
    Eric Cantana - fiery frenchman, will be invaluable in Europe
    Teddy Sheringham - top scorer in 92/93 enuff said
    Alan Shearer - was out for half the season, but this guy + Teddy will get us 40 goals a season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think people have forgotten that the foreigner rule still applies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

PHB wrote: »
    I think people have forgotten that the foreigner rule still applies?

Bill Gates dosent care for rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

bill gates makes the rules.
    steve mcmamanan and an oldie but will still score goals Ian Rush.

George Weah FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The three foreigner rule is a bit of a stumbling block so maybe looking closer to home would be best.

I vote for a 24 year old midfielder who has established himself in the top flight and already has a title to his name. Looks to have a long career ahead of him and will be respected by players and fans alike. International too. His name? Gary Speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I reckon there's two defenders from Middlesbourough and Norwich that could be good together. Daisy and Dolly they're called . . . . ooops I meant Bruce and Pallister.

Now if only someone got them together in the same team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I reckon there's two defenders from Middlesbourough and Norwich that could be good together. Daisy and Dolly they're called . . . . ooops I meant Bruce and Pallister.

Now if only someone got them together in the same team.

Great idea, just about 4 years too late. Pallister joined UTd in 89 and Bruce joined in 87.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Sign Robbie Fowler, then sell him on a couple of years later for massive profit (he won't get into the team then anyway).

Advertisement