Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mass effect

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Giving an 8 game a miss? Have we become so spoiled by inflated review scores?
    I'll be buying this on friday, but I don't know when I'll get a chance to play it, hopefully soon though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

nah. but i don't have many 70 euro notes to throw around. Halo 3 and COD4 are 2 of the best games I've played in years.

Might pick up the Orange Box and currently playing Zelda on my DS.

For a game that promised so much I can't justify the cash on it based on the EG review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

quarryman wrote: »
    nah. but i don't have many 70 euro notes to throw around. Halo 3 and COD4 are 2 of the best games I've played in years.

Might pick up the Orange Box and currently playing Zelda on my DS.

For a game that promised and delivered so much I can't justify the cash on it based on the EG review which was only high and not insanly high like the rest of the reviews.

I fixed your reasoning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

hmm.

8/10 isn't a "must-have" in my book though and the review seems to give reasons for this score.

so it delivers then? How much have you played?

I might rent it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

8/10 should be a must have tho

review scores are bloody ridiculous

an average game should get 5, working up from there

8s should be for brilliant games, and 9s should be rarities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Eurogamer mentions "unoptimised state of the frame-rate, texture pop-in and v-syncing terrors". IGN also mention poor frame rate. Damn it :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I can see the frame rate issues being patched in the not to distant future. Especially if they're going to offer lots of DLC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Moe Lester

played this game last week for about an hour but didnt really like it there is just somethign about it that doesnt smooth over with me the graphics are exellent but the gameplay just lost me.

like the guy that was with me gets killed and i can still here him shouting lost shields and **** and the charactors seem to cleyshy if you know what i mean.

there is too many pause scenes if you ask me.

there may be other people out there that love this game. but i have finished cod4 and assassins creed and they knock this one out of the park in everyway.

anyone else feel like this is ripping of alot of sci fi shows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Gamespot have given it 8.5.
    The Good: Powerful storyline draws you into a tense, politically charged universe; Dialogue options will keep you constantly engaged in your missions; Great visuals and superb voice acting; Biotic powers are fun to pull off in battle.

The Bad: Vehicle navigation and combat are weak; A bunch of annoying interface issues.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/masseffect/review.html?page=1&sid=6183119
    grizzly wrote: »
    I can see the frame rate issues being patched in the not to distant future. Especially if they're going to offer lots of DLC.
    Is it really fixable though? Have other 360 games had their frame-rate improved via patches? I'd imagine if it was so easily fixed it wouldn't be a problem in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Frame rate issues generally arent easily fixed with patches. I've never seen it done with a 360 game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

God I hope not. I have the asian version pre-ordered from play-asia. I believe it's been confirmed that the U.S. version is region-free so it's looking good.

I can confirm the US version is region free as that's what I've been playing. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

My play-asia order has been shipped but they haven't updated their site yet to indicate if it's region-free or not. But after what happened with PGR4 and Orange Box they may not be too eager to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

with gamespot, the line:

The Bad: Vehicle navigation and combat are weak

Do they mean:

vehicle navigation and (vehicle) combat are weak

or

vehicle navigation and (all) combat are weak

hope its not all combat, that'd suck

Nearly all the reviews so far have criticised the combat. Gamespot were a little kinder than most. It's supposed to be ok provided you don't approach it as a shooter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

It's not a shooter though, its an RPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

My play-asia order has been shipped but they haven't updated their site yet to indicate if it's region-free or not. But after what happened with PGR4 and Orange Box they may not be too eager to do so.

I hope you're right here, I'm just after ordering the asian version...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

After the recent deluge of high-quality shooters it will be nice to play a game that isn't (shock, horror) a shooter.

Most of the reviews complimented the storyline, something which the shooters of late, apart from Orange Box, have not excelled on. And, I can put out with a few minor problems such as popping textures and menu navigation issues for an immersive RPG. I mean a few little issues hardly makes the game unplayable.

It does seem like to big of game to rent - 40 hours of game time according to Gamespot. Assassin's Creed seemed to get more stick in the reviews anyway. I know which one I'll be splashing out on.

That aside, we've been spoilt in recent months - Bioshock, Halo 3, COD4, Orange Box, Assassin's Creed, Rainbox Six.

There's never been a better time to be a gamer. If you don't get it now, I'm sure there'll be cheaper second hand copies floating about in the 2008, when the Master Chief has lost his shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gibson-les-rick

www.gametrailers.com watch the review in SD or HD the game looks unbelievable,i can't wait.Just got AC today,bloody excellent aswell,so what is the price for mass effect?70euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Don't suppose anyone's checked Tesco today to see if they "accidently" released it early, like Assassin's Creed?

• Advertisement

xtra-vision in shannon,clare, had it 2 days ago on the shelfs but they took it off again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

humanji wrote: »
    Don't suppose anyone's checked Tesco today to see if they "accidently" released it early, like Assassin's Creed?

Was in the Omni Park Tesco branch today and of the 5 Xbox 360 titles they had on display, Mass Effect wasn't one of them. Assassin's Creed is €55 though.

A week ago they had no Xbox 360 games at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

tman wrote: »
    I hope you're right here, I'm just after ordering the asian version...

Put me down as another hopefully shrewd buyer/possibly unlucky fool. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

having ahd a week to play it now, im quite underwhelmed

at first its the best thing ever, i challenge anyone not to wet themselves at the first few minutes, but the goodness of the game kinda gets lost in the annoying problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

That Eurogamer review seems to have missed the point a bit. I would have thought that Mass Effect was more a full RPG than something with "RPG leanings". In any case I doubt I'll be playing it any time soon since my 360 still isnt back from repairs. :(

That Eurogamer review seems to have missed the point a bit. I would have thought that Mass Effect was more a full RPG than something with "RPG leanings". In any case I doubt I'll be playing it any time soon since my 360 still isnt back from repairs. :(
    It is a full RPG,but alot of reviewers don't really see it like that because of the combat and weapon system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,912 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

has nowhere released this early? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

It is a full RPG,but alot of reviewers don't really see it like that because of the combat and weapon system

Yeah I cant seem to get my head around the fact that its an RPG.. It just don't seem like it is! It feels way too much like an FPS to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

ShaneU wrote: »
    has nowhere released this early? :(

Thinking the same thing, wouldn't mind having a go of it this evening... May have to wait til tomorrow so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

For anyone who wants to know I asked around the shops and the cheapest is HMV @ 55euro Virgin @ 57.99.

Game said 74euro! :eek: crazy!

Advertisement