Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mass effect

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

im like a heroin junkie going cold turkey, i have this game and all my others in the attic, hidden away, and cant touch till x-mas day!

AND IM NEARLY 20 YEARS OF AGE

Yes im lucky to be getting so much **** of "santa" at this late age but still.....its gay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

ryanmatty wrote: »
    Did you get an asian copy of the game?

Yep, and it's most definitely region free
    Guess I owe some thanks to the poster that suggested buying the Asian version:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

tman wrote: »
    My copy arrived in the post just now... slapped it in and it booted to the title screen just fine.
    Looking forward to getting stuck into it later on:)
    Argh! I'm still waiting on my Play-asia order to arrive. It was sent two weeks ago today.

Cheers for the confirmation but, due to the guesstimated 2 week delivery period, I caved in and paid full whack for the game in Smyths... well, actually, I traded in my duplicate copy of Forza 2 (that I got for €30 with a wireless controller, thanks to Bargain Alerts), along with a copy of GRAW (which I had purchased for €10 five seconds earlier) and Smyths gave me Mass Effect. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah I was in Smyths today and only for the fact that I couldn't see it on the shelf anywhere I probably would have bought it (again!) and then traded it in if/when the play-asia order arrived. I'm glad I didn't though. I just hope it arrives tomorrow as I won't have much time to play after Thursday.

To be fair to Play-asia though I've ordered from them 5 times and this is the first time it's taken longer than 6/7 days for something to arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Man, I love this game. I just finished my second playthrough and I actually feel like starting it up again (I'll resist).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

koneko wrote: »
    Man, I love this game.

Me too.
    I don't want it to end! I'm up as far as where I
    find out they are experimenting on the colonists with the Thorean

Please tell me that I'm only starting and have hours and hours of fun ahead of me????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,008 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Me too.
    I don't want it to end! I'm up as far as where I
    find out they are experimenting on the colonists with the Thorean

Please tell me that I'm only starting and have hours and hours of fun ahead of me????

Wow - you play games B?! I am surprised! :eek:

Hard to say, you can do them in a different order. Make sure to pick up side quests too :)

You're no help Cat!
    eo980 wrote: »
    Wow - you play games B?! I am surprised! :eek:

Why are you surprised?

Hehe, well, did you go to
    Noveria
    or the dig site yet? You can do them in any order, if you haven't done either of those yet you've got loads left, otherwise, still a good bit anyway, plus lots of side quests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Sorry if it's been asked before, but is there reason to survey all the gas and metal deposits, other than the xp and something to do besides get shot at? If it's important then I'm going to have to go off and thrawl through all the planets I missed :(

And is anyone else pissed off with forgetting what panet they've been to or have to go to? Granted, I'm an idiot, so I started at a disadvantage, but it's the first game in a long time that I've had to use a notebook to write down everything I've to do, to save me having to flick between the journal and the systems map. I'm gettin RSI from reaching for the start button.

There is a gathering quest where it'll log gas, metal, whatever deposits, but you don't need to do it, I'd say don't bother. You shouldn't need to keep track of where you've been, just keep track of what quests you've done in the Journal, it tells you which ones you've completed (and where they where, like which planet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, but it's a hassle having to go into the journal, read what quests are available, then go into the system map thingy and trying to remember the names of the systems that I need to go to. I guess I'm just impatiant and hate the loading times :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,008 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

You're no help Cat!

Why are you surprised?

Well I just never thought you'd be the type to play games. I mostly see you in PI (apart from AH) and you've always struck me as a serious type. I never once got a whiff of your other interests from your posts.

(Yes I realise serious types need to relax too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Do you get anything other than XP points for killing those big worm things on the uncharted worlds? Thresher Maws I think.

Normally when I see one I just hightail it outta there.

eo980 wrote: »
    you've always struck me as a serious type.

Hahahahaaa
    Serious type. Brilliant.
    If you're at the christmas boards beers, come up and introduce yourself, I'll burst your bubble on that one.

Hehe, well, did you go to
    Noveria
    or the dig site yet?

Yup
    Both done.
    So, am I half way?

With just main quests, you'd be
    over half then unfortunately

Nothing extra for killing thresher maws, just some cash and XP, worth doing if one if in your way (like with Kahoku's quest or if it's near an artifact), but otherwise you might aswell skip them.

I finished it last night :(
    Why too short imo!

Started it again, as a man this time... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I finished it last night :(
    Why too short imo!

Started it again, as a man this time... :)

I felt it was too short as well... and because of the nature of the main plot... the fact that it's a race against time to save the galaxy... you feel a bit thick flying off into the middle of nowhere to rescue someones kitten for them...

I thought the culmination of the conduit plot line was utterly stupid as well...
    It was just a way onto the citadel? Didn't Saren have access to the citidel before he started going around attacking planets? What was the point of his evil plan in that case? And Sovereign was able to fly in with ease without using the conduit at all... so the whole plot was utterly pointless. And then there is the reason for the Reapers killing all organic life every 50,000 years... and you get fobbed off with some stupid excuse that we can't possibly understand the way they think... just seems a bit lazy...

imo they could also have continued the game so you had to wipe out the reapers, bet that's Mass Effect Part Deux, money grabbing bastids!
    Still, a very enjoyable game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ah yes... I enjoyed it a lot...

I went back to an earlier point in my file so I could start exploring a bit more and try and get off with Williams.

But then I got stuck on top of a box and I can't get off it.. so I may just start all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

is this worth the purchase then

Vegeta wrote: »

Definitely worth a purchase. I'm only 7 or so hours into it so far but they've been an absolutely fantastic 7 hours!
    It took a while to get used to the combat compared to the KotoR style, but once you do it just feels right.

I ran over one of the monkeys by accident last night, I still feel kind of bad:(

Vegeta wrote: »

Did you not see the part where I said I had started the game all over again and intend to play it through a second time!?
    Well worth the purchase.

I started up a new game + (ie playing the game all over again with my levelled character) the day after I finished my first playthrough, and I enjoyed it just as much. I'm tempted to go for a third play through (either the same character again on Insane or start a new character with new class). Definitely worth the purchase.

tman, who did you have in your party when you ran over the monkey? Some of the responses are great. I went completely Renegade on my second play through and slaughtered all the monkeys, and
    punched the TV interviewer in the face
    . Actually, she punched quite a few people in the face, and shot others, what a badass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I'm only as far as
    disarming the bombs at the start

I know, I know, I just haven't had time in the last two weeks. Hope to bash away into it this weekend. Really enjoying it tho

tman, who did you have in your party when you ran over the monkey?

Williams and Wrex
    Ashley said something like "I would've just thrown a rock at it":p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

This is going to be a post Christmas feast for me I think.

Currently playing COD4, The Orange Box and Halo 3.

I have decided to have a Wii X-mas and have Super Paper Mario, Metoid Prime and the game I'm most looking forward to, Super Mario Galaxy :p!

Just shows what a spectacular gaming year it's been! 2008 will have a challenge to surpass this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Bought this the other day and I'll admit that I've never been one for RPGs, but I'm absolutely immersed in this game. I actually felt a sense of achievement with being
    made a Spektor
    and am looking forward to seeing what the rest of the game throws at me! Already I'm contemplating how to play if differently when I start over again :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Kabuto

Sorry if I've managed to miss this, but is any shop doing a trade in deal on this game? Like 'trade in two games get this for a euro' kind of thing. I really want the game but just don't have the money to buy it.

Advertisement