Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mass effect

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Bought this the other day and I'll admit that I've never been one for RPGs, but I'm absolutely immersed in this game. I actually felt a sense of achievement with being
    made a Spektor
    and am looking forward to seeing what the rest of the game throws at me! Already I'm contemplating how to play if differently when I start over again :).
    I was wondering what you were on about cos I'm only after reaching that part tonight.

Sense of achievement is an understatement! It's so damn engrossing, loving it.

Now where to go next...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

This has quickly become my 'Game of the Year'. Absolutly loved it. The combat, while a bit difficult at first, is brilliant. Story is great, and Saren is cool
    if not really in it enough. Also, i've never wanted to bang a blue alien with tentacles for hair as much as i did in this game.
    Loved every minute of it.
    tman wrote: »
    I ran over one of the monkeys by accident last night, I still feel kind of bad:(
    I know exactly how you feel. That was the most evil thing i did in the entire game. I only killed the one that stole the datapad and after Ash and Liara gave out to me, i felt really bad about it. God damn ethics :(

Now i just need to decide whether or not to start again with my original character (level 42 Soldier) or start a new game as a Vanguard or Adept.
    Kabuto wrote: »
    Sorry if I've managed to miss this, but is any shop doing a trade in deal on this game? Like 'trade in two games get this for a euro' kind of thing. I really want the game but just don't have the money to buy it.
    Gamestop have a "Trade in 2 games and get this for €9.99" deal if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Kiith wrote: »
    This has quickly become my 'Game of the Year'. Absolutly loved it. The combat, while a bit difficult at first, is brilliant. Story is great, and Saren is cool
    if not really in it enough. Also, i've never wanted to bang a blue alien with tentacles for hair as much as i did in this game.
    Loved every minute of it.
    Definitely my game of the year as well (which has really surprised me given how awesome Super Mario Galaxy is)
    I ended up
    going for Ash instead... she seemed a bit more up for it:p
    Now i just need to decide whether or not to start again with my original character (level 42 Soldier) or start a new game as a Vanguard or Adept.
    The end credits are rolling in front of me now and I'm already considering how I'll play through it this time. Think I'll use my original character again and just go all-out renegade.

Games like this are why I'll never grow out of playing games. Absolute brilliance from beginning to end.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

tman wrote: »
    Williams and Wrex
    Ashley said something like "I would've just thrown a rock at it":p
    lol, I was with those two. I thought I had to kill the monkeys and search the bodies. So I took out on tribe with a cannon shot. Rex said "Nice shot!" and Williams said "Well, it's not exactly what I would of done." :D

Oh, and I got an achievement for it too. Who needs to save the animals!

Not overly fond of
    the driving section

Do the renegade points actually make a difference to the overall story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Sorry if I've managed to miss this, but is any shop doing a trade in deal on this game? Like 'trade in two games get this for a euro' kind of thing. I really want the game but just don't have the money to buy it.

Smyths. I traded in 2 games and got Mass Effect. No additional cash was required even though the box had something to the effect of "€9.99 when trading in 2 Xbox 360 games" on it. Get a Smyths loyalty card first though just in case that had something to do with it.

IIRC Gamestop run a similar offer - and both are Dependent on the combined trade in value of your games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Hopefully I'll get to start playing this from the 18th onwards (day after my final essay deadline). Then I'll be happy over Christmas, really the fact I'm not wasting countless hours playing it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Finally found the time to start this this weekend, I'm about ten hours in now. For the first few hours I absolutely loved it, following the story and doing all the sidequests in the first city was amazing, I loved the variety of dialogue choices and the depth of the different quests available as you explored an amazing city.

But then the story moved me on from there and things have taken a turn for the worse. Progression seems to have turned into fighting through waves of enemies (the gun play isn't bad but it isn't amazing either) and being forced through god awful driving sections. Aswell as being sidetracked by sidequests that take place accross multiple planets, which result in more time spent travelling and looking at load screens than actually spent doing the quest.

I'm hoping it's just going through a slightly dodgy phase and things will pick up a lot again though because it was easily my game of the year up until the last couple of hours play which I haven't enjoyed and eventually forced me to switch off the console when I got pissed off at the stupid vehicle not shooting where I was pointing and getting me killed yet again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'm about 6 hours into the game and I must say it's been too long since I've enjoyed a game as much. Engaging storyline, excellent fighting(I know it's not everyones cup of tea but I love it) and environments that I want to explore.

2 Thumbs up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I actually think the gun play is better than many dedicated FPS games I have played, I can't fault it anywhere.

The driving, again can't fault it either, its just like Halo. The crosshairs on the APC are a bit wonky when your trying to shoot at a target lower than the barrel can depress to, the crosshairs should have an X or something on it when it goes out side the cannon's coaxial limits.

But yet its an RPG game, alot of peope think of it as a shooter action game like Halo which it is not trying to be.

I'm almost finished it and I'm looking foward to going through it again.

This is the game of the year on the 360, its the most enjoyable game I have played on the 360 since launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Hands down game of the year for me too. I'm about 35 hours in to it and I've only just landed Virmire now. I'm pretty sure I've completed all the available side quests - time to get through the main story.
    steviec wrote: »

I'm hoping it's just going through a slightly dodgy phase and things will pick up a lot again though because it was easily my game of the year up until the last couple of hours play which I haven't enjoyed and eventually forced me to switch off the console when I got pissed off at the stupid vehicle not shooting where I was pointing and getting me killed yet again...

The driving itself didn't bother me, and was really easy once you got the hang of it. Just never try to shoot something beneath the plane of the turret, unless you're perched on the side of a hill. The only thing that annoyed me slightly with the driving sections was the monotony of all the non-storyline planets. Sure, each of them had different environmental effects, landscape textures and pretty skylines, but driving over all of them was exactly the same, just up and down, up and down barren ragged hills and mountains with no foliage, no water systems, no interesting landscape features, and mostly never indigineous life.

Still, despite that, game of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

Just finished my first playthrough. Gotta love that
    funky 80's synth tune over the end credits. Not really a spoiler but it caught me off guard :)
    . Still have Mario / Bioshock / Portal as vying for my game of the year, ME is close to those though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Just finished this and I have to say its a fantastic game. Will have to start a 2nd play through soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Kabuto

Fnz wrote: »
    Smyths. I traded in 2 games and got Mass Effect. No additional cash was required even though the box had something to the effect of "€9.99 when trading in 2 Xbox 360 games" on it. Get a Smyths loyalty card first though just in case that had something to do with it.

IIRC Gamestop run a similar offer - and both are Dependent on the combined trade in value of your games.

What game's did you trade in, I was thinking of trading in Crackdown and Gears of War. That should be alright yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Off topic I know but just to reply to something I mentioned in my earlier post: :)
    What game's did you trade in, I was thinking of trading in Crackdown and Gears of War. That should be alright yeah?

Dunno if they'd make the minimum required trade-in value. One of the games I traded in was Forza Motorsport 2. The other was either Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter or its sequel which had been bought 5 minutes earlier (as part of a 2 for €20 offer).

The receipt indicates that I got €30 for each game - though when I tried trading in Forza 2 a week previous, I was offered €15 for it in a different branch of Smyths. So the 'trade-in 2 games' offer really served me well.

Shop around: be sure to try both Smyths and Xtra Vision, as well as Game and Gamestop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭hotnipples

I'm stuck on the aforementioned asari commando fight with matriarch benezia. Did everyone have trouble with this fight are am I just too low a level? I'm an adept and I'm having serious trouble with it. They keep hitting me with a biotic that paralyses me and then I'm easily killed. Annoying as hell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Move to the right, around the side of the Matriarch, that way she can't hit you while you're fighting the commandos etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

After having finally getting my console back from repair limbo I can honestly say this is the best game I've played in years. Concentrating completely on the side quests right now since hearing all this talk of the main quest being quite short.

Finally beat benezia last night. I think in total it must have been at least 30 attempts. The difficulty spikes are a little annoying. Think I've reached a new one now.. I'm on a planet in Atermis Tau cluster and a giant geth robot drops in front of me and rapes me and my squad in about 2 milliseconds. I have only tried it once because of my last save being aaaages away, but I can just tell it will be another 20 or so reloads before I have mastered a strategy to beat it. I love the game, the freedom you have is superb - and its probably the best game I've played on the Xbox, but I feel the combat suffers from some serious imbalance issues.

The Benezia fight (until you learn to move to the right as soon as the battle starts) and the giant geth robot fight are tough fight alright, but I wouldn't go so far as to say the game combat is "unbalanced" as a whole, as they're the only such instances experienced.

• Advertisement

My comment is a little premature I suppose. I will see how the rest of the game pans out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Just completed this. Took 16 hours all in all, though I got bored of the sidequests so I could have dragged it out longer if I wanted.

Still have mixed feelings on this one. It has some amazing high points, which goes for just about anything involving dialogue and the wealth of choices involved, but it seems to be too combat heavy for my liking.

In KOTOR there was almost always a security terminal you could hack into, a secret entrance you could unlock, a way to negotiate your way through, but in Mass Effect once you were on a mission there was pretty much none of this, it was constant fight fight fight all the way through. Not that it was a bad combat model, it was quite good actually, but it was disappointing compared to previous Bioware games, and compared to how amazing I was expecting the game to be after the fantastic first city.

What really let the game down for me are the Mako and the uncharted planets. Spending ages switching from planet to planet, driving across dull terrain and engaging in samey sidequests that all involve travelling around or shooting stuff was really disappointing.

Overall it's still an 8, maybe even a 9, but it could have been so much more. Well worth playing for the story and the freedom on offer, though I'm not sure if I'll play it through a second time, though I want to experiment with making different decisions I don't want to sit through the hours of combat that would accompany them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Finished my second playthrough and still love this game as much as I did the first time round its everything from the dialog to the 80's sci-fi feel and soundtrack.

I think its the dialog sequnces I get the most enjoyment from as you have the freedom to let them play out as you want without having to worry about maxing out the good/evil meter.

Would agree about the repition of the side planets getting tedious after awhile but I still had to do every one.

I really hope bioware put the lvl of effort they put into the main quest worlds into their future downloadable content and not just shiney normandy/horse armor.If so I can see myself playing this game untill mass effect 2 comes out.

Would defo vote it game of the year with mario galaxy a close second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Started playing this yesterday and got through the first mission. I found the combat elements infuriating to be honest. Squad AI is absolutly useless too but I was expecting that from the reviews anyway.

Im enjoying the story however and finding myself getting sucked into the world very easily. I havent played an RPG type game in years so im really having alot of fun with that. Hopefully the combat gets less annoying as time goes by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Can someone help...

I've just started the main quest after leaving the citadel. Am stuck on a planet after going after the archeologist. Can't remember the name of it, but it has a refinery on it and you eventually get to a giant geth, you have to fight on foot. I think I need to level up some more before this fight, but when I backtrack to the start I can't contact the Normandy. So, when the jammed messages comes up on my mini-map, does that mean I can no longer get back to my ship?

Trouble is I've only got one save file :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

You never *have* to level up more.
    When the cut scene ends you're standing by some crates, don't fight from there, move to the left down the slope and fight a few of the geth from there until the area is cleared more. Then go back behind the crate to fight the geth armature. Take shots at it until you see the blue ball it's charging (the "Siege Pulse") pop back to cover and move in a bit so you don't get hit by it. Keep shooting it and taking cover until it's down.

Only at the Benezia fight now; made it thru the first wave but screwed up royally after :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

It's for sale for €45 in Game in Liffey Valley. Seems like a good stocking filler!

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Started playing this yesterday and got through the first mission. I found the combat elements infuriating to be honest. Squad AI is absolutly useless too but I was expecting that from the reviews anyway.

I can see how the combat can initially throw a player who's not used to RPGs. Its not like COD4 or Halo where your character's skill is pretty much the same throughout the game.

When you start off Mass Effect you've no skill points spent on your combat abilities, so the damage and accuracy of your shots isn't as good as you'd think they'd be in an FPS. But it gets much better once you level up some.

But yeah, the squad AI isn't the best. I generally just used them to draw fire away from me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

you can also switch the difficulty down to casual select the shotgun even if ya have no stats in it and just charge your way to victory.

Advertisement