Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I need a team.

• 10-11-2007 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

The EL is over for a few months only a u21 final in a cold cold belfield to look forward on thursday then thats it live football is over till Setanta Cup in feb.

So seeing as supporting a team is really easy when they winning and good, i need a team to support.

So can the folks of boards.ie help me support a team, i actually will go a game or 2 its pointless otherwise, but warmer i suppose.

So it has to be a safe team one gauranteed to win.

heres my list, help me choose.

Who to support? 77 votes

Arsenal
    0% 0 votes
    Man Utd
    27% 21 votes
    Man City
    20% 16 votes
    Liverpool
    3% 3 votes
    Chelsea
    14% 11 votes
    Porstmouth
    6% 5 votes
    Blackburn
    9% 7 votes
    Everton
    3% 3 votes
    Sundireland
    2% 2 votes
    Den OSS
    11% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Coventry City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Timans wrote: »
    Coventry City.

Always keep an eye on them hawkins plays for them one our best centrebacks and irelands. hes out injured at the minute but the fans love him.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I was born there so I always keep an eye out as well. I'd watch their games if they were on TV more. But, obviously they're not.

Here's hoping they get in the Prem!

Also cant pick a team that wont win anything, its not safe i need to win something come may so my team has to be based on that.

No point picking a **** team in a **** league i got one of those already.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Pick a sleeping giant so you can claim you were a supporter before the bandwagon jumpers arrive ( a la Sunderland)

Sheffield Wednesday or Nottingham Forest have a very good chance of Premiership football in the next 2-3 years.
    Big clubs with a proud history

Plus you have an Irish connection.
    Glenn Whelan is an excellent Championship level player and Forest have a great youth policy with several Irish underage international players.Alan Power for example

Edit: I see your poll-why a Premiership team? Could you not look beyond the obvious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

KdjaCL wrote: »
    No point picking a **** team in a **** league i got one of those already.

kdjac
    True, maybe you should go for a south american team, then we could all whinge at you, like you do at everyone else, you know, support a team from your own continent, can't believe it etc etc... Then of course you could spend alot of money going out there, granted you would be surprised at the number of people who attend those games, a big crowd would be a nice change for you. Then when you came back you could have some fool come along and give you grief for spending money going along to go and see a game in America when you could have stayed closer to home and spent it on watching a team who at least have a chance of spending a few quid one an Irish player. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Accrington Stanley

micmclo wrote: »

Edit: I see your poll-why a Premiership team? Could you not look beyond the obvious?

Has to be a safe team gauranteed to win something or get into Europe, i mean whats the point of watching/supporting/going to games if its **** team in a **** league.

Also keep an eye on Sheff Wed as our old keeper went there Chris Adamson, hes with stockport now.

kdjac

True, maybe you should go for a south american team, then we could all whinge at you, like you do at everyone else, you know, support a team from your own continent, can't believe it etc etc... Then of course you could spend alot of money going out there, granted you would be surprised at the number of people who attend those games, a big crowd would be a nice change for you. Then when you came back you could have some fool come along and give you grief for spending money going along to go and see a game in America when you could have stayed closer to home and spent it on watching a team who at least have a chance of spending a few quid one an Irish player. :rolleyes:

Lol

I actually dont whinge at people, what i do is stick up for my team. Tbh they the only team i care about. Most PL fans dismiss things without seeing it, i stand up for the fact i paid roughly 200 quid for a season ticket and seen some smashing football and some cracking goals (54 of them to be precise).

these 5 being my favs.

i dont care who anyone supports i go to more PL/Div1/Div2(lol leeds) and La Liga matches than most on here but i dont dismiss some league i have never seen simply because the one game i seen was crap, i watched 3 PL games today and now watching a La Liga game. As i do every week but i dont dismiss the PL as its crap which it mostly is if you watch all the teams play and not your own. Did any pool fan watch all 3 of todays games? i seriously doubt it they were all awful games. but best league in the world ......etc..... la liga game is also ****e barca losing 1-0 and looking clueless .....added to the 0-0 last night been a **** weekend of football for me. Hoping Utd Utd BBurn morrow will be decent otherwise every league ever is ****e based on this weekends games

Theres a high horse here and im certainly not the one on it.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Join me on the Pompey bus.

• Advertisement

If it looks like whinging, reads like whinging and makes ones eyes bleed like whinging then it's probably whinging.

If it were just sticking up for your team then surely you would not complain about the teams supported by others and where they spend their money...

And regarding the high horse, it is far too far below the pedestal you put your team and league up on for you to get down to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Palermo.

Just for the scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

not liverpool please. sick of looking at your drivel in the thread as it is.

If it looks like whinging, reads like whinging and makes ones eyes bleed like whinging then it's probably whinging.

If it were just sticking up for your team then surely you would not complain about the teams supported by others and where they spend their money...

i dont complain about other teams :confused:

i have more other teams that most on here but i go to their games, you may be confusing my abuse of people who dont actually go to games with some EL cause. The whole people who go to games are fans those who dont are people who like football, it really pisses irish people off :D
    And regarding the high horse, it is far too far below the pedestal you put your team and league up on for you to get down to it.

ahh at last as a fan i can have one over you team, ever qualified for the European Champions League as champions of your league? Nope and i doubt you ever will but keep safe in the knowledge that being the 4th best team in your league is good enough to get you into it, as you wont ever qualifiy as champions of your league.

:D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Don't support Liverpool, it's far too stressful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Arsenal. no better team for the neutral. even when they lose they play good possessive football...

el rabitos wrote: »
    not liverpool please. sick of looking at your drivel in the thread as it is.

Quality post as ever thats 2137 in a row now :D

kdjac

Arsenal. no better team for the neutral. even when they lose they play good possessive football...

leaning towards them, went to see them in Madrid last season ****ing great game, good fun with the fans too. Went to highbury twice and wembley once when they were playing.

Was meant to go to prague this week but couldnt get off work, mates went and reckoned it was the coldest day in the history of ever :eek:

Lightweights tbh

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

its not safe i need to win something come may so my team has to be based on that.

Your list is seriously flawed so. I mean come on, it's got Everton on it.:)

Stekelly wrote: »
    Your list is seriously flawed so. I mean come on, it's got Everton on it.:)

Europe will do, granted it has to be after Pats get knocked out.

Which means i may be going to a game in europe that pats will lose 5-0 (all the others i went to went that way)

So ste should i go ?

kdjac

• Advertisement

Europe will do, granted it has to be after Pats get knocked out.

Which means i may be going to a game in europe that pats will lose 5-0 (all the others i went to went that way)

So ste should i go ?

kdjac

Don't bother, theres no fun when you know the outcome before. Although you'd make a fortune betting on Pat's to lose 5-0 in Europe (probably domestically aswell :))

Don't bother, theres no fun when you know the outcome before. Although you'd make a fortune betting on Pat's to lose 5-0 in Europe (probably domestically aswell :))

errrmm thats an odd one that made me think.

in my 25 years going to pats i only ever recall losing 5-1 , dont rememeber a 5-0 in the league. oddly the 5-1 game was to Derry away after than we went unbeaten for the next 21 games and won our 1st league title under Kerr in richmond.

thanks for the memory :D

kdjac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

hmm, watever team is smuggiest i say, suits EL fans :p

really tho, Blackburn. exciting players, good squad, good manager, attitude seems okay too.
    or else arsenal, amazing footballers and very fast and exciting football. plenty of young 'uns too. wenger is a bit of a d1ckhead tho :/

Jazzy wrote: »

So liverpool then :D

Went there before gave my ticket to merseyside derby to some pool kid with his da who had no ticket. Not being able to able to walk thanks to Woodpecker Red may have helped that decision.

pub was warmer :cool:

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Drogheda United.

A team of winners and already guaranteed Champions League football (well, for at least one round, anyway). :)

Jazzy wrote: »

really tho, Blackburn. exciting players, good squad, good manager, attitude seems okay too.

I think your confusing the word exciting with physical.

PDN wrote: »
    Drogheda United.

A team of winners and already guaranteed Champions League football (well, for at least one round, anyway). :)

No thanks our 54 goals will keep me warm in that we attacked them in every minute of our matches not just the last 5.
    I think your confusing the word exciting with physical.

LOL awesome this thread is bringing out the best in everyone, did you win your last CL by playing football or being physcial?

pot Kettle black?

kdjac

ahh at last as a fan i can have one over you team, ever qualified for the European Champions League as champions of your league? Nope and i doubt you ever will but keep safe in the knowledge that being the 4th best team in your league is good enough to get you into it, as you wont ever qualifiy as champions of your league.

kdjac

What do you mean qualify for the champions league ? I am fairly confident your team have never qualified for the champions league, I believe they have been in the qualifiers but never managed to beat enough other poor teams to make it into the competition (you may be setting the bar a bit lower as you are talking about a far lesser league or do you still consider Ireland in the European championships ?) and as for saying something will never happen, well it is a better bet that Liverpool will qualify for CL as champions before any irish team qualify for the competition. I am not going to say never as that would be an incredibly stupid thing to do :rolleyes:

What do you mean qualify for the champions league ? I am fairly confident your team have never qualified for the champions league, I believe they have been in the qualifiers but never managed to beat enough other poor teams to make it into the competition (you may be setting the bar a bit lower as you are talking about a far lesser league or do you still consider Ireland in the European championships ?) and as for saying something will never happen, well it is a better bet that Liverpool will qualify for CL as champions before any irish team qualify for the competition. I am not going to say never as that would be an incredibly stupid thing to do :rolleyes:

The champions league is still called the champions league in the qualifiers, remember TNS?

jebus thats the worst comeback ever, your not going to get into the CL as champions of your league, that must suck :p

4th is as good as 1st eh ?

kdjac

• Advertisement

The champions league is still called the champions league in the qualifiers, remember TNS?

jebus thats the worst comeback ever, your not going to get into the CL as champions of your league, that must suck :p

4th is as good as 1st eh ?

kdjac

No its not, its called the champions league 1st (2nd, 3rd) qualifiying round. Not Champions league 1st round.

Plus if its all the same why do goals scored in the qualifying rounds not count towards the totals / goalscoring charts?

If your comparing 4th in the pl to 1st in the EL then no it's not the same, it's much better.

As for not getting into the CL as league champs, meh, winning it more than made up for the way we got there.

No its not, its called the champions league 1st (2nd, 3rd) qualifiying round. Not Champions league 1st round.

Plus if its all the same why do goals scored in the qualifying rounds not count towards the totals / goalscoring charts?

If your comparing 4th in the pl to 1st in the EL then no it's not the same, it's much better.

As for not getting into the CL as league champs, meh, winning it more than made up for the way we got there.

Not comparing anything as that would be silly, all im saying is we qualified as champs of our league. Something T4tfs club will never do.

Simple really :D

kdjac

No, it's the champions league qualifiers, just as the european championships qualifiers are played and if you qualify you get to play in the European championships, are you really having trouble with the qualifiers bit ?

If you do not qualify you are not in the competition, if you do then you are.

YOUR TEAM HAS NEVER QUALIFIED FOR THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE.

They may one day and then you can travel all around europe watching your boyos get humped by a team that know how to play football but at least then you can be happy in the knowledge that ye got there as champions of a poor league in a country populated mainly by people who could not give an arse about their achievements (or underwhelming lack of same)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

As everybody knows, European football was established only when the Cup was renamed to the "Champions League". All records from before that date have been erased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If you want an unpredictable team who you are guaranteed to experience both highs and lows with then it has to be Citeh. And we've actually got some decent players now to go watch.

We've also got a cracking stadium to go to and the most loyal supporters around. We have a shot at Europe this year and could win one of the cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

all im saying is we qualified as champs of our league. Something T4tfs club will never do.

you think Liverpool will NEVER win the league ever again? Bit mental to think that i reckon. Are you just starting rows in all the threads on here tonight?!

Someone call a mod............oh wait :eek: ;)

• Advertisement

Unpredictable ???

they have won every home game this season and 6 of their 8 have been One Nil haven't they.

That is championship winning form ;)

No, it's the champions league qualifiers, just as the european championships qualifiers are played and if you qualify you get to play in the European championships, are you really having trouble with the qualifiers bit ?

If you do not qualify you are not in the competition, if you do then you are.

YOUR TEAM HAS NEVER QUALIFIED FOR THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE.

They may one day and then you can travel all around europe watching your boyos get humped by a team that know how to play football but at least then you can be happy in the knowledge that ye got there as champions of a poor league in a country populated mainly by people who could not give an arse about their achievements (or underwhelming lack of same)

the word champions in thrown about your post in a weird manner its like it matters when it suits but not when it doesnt.

fact is we earned out right to play our qualifiers as champions of our league to gain entry to the champions league, granted we got stuffed 10-0 in one from some country called moldova and 2-0 by some country called scotland (was at both being a fan and all). Its irrelevent we earned our right to be there as champions of our league.

As i said your club has yet to do that.

Lol must suck being a liverpool fan and winning all that stuff and never actually qualifing to the champions league as champions of your league.

tbh wouldnt bother me unless someone reminded me off it, i would just say we better than you or something.

kdjac

Mr Alan wrote: »
    you think Liverpool will NEVER win the league ever again? Bit mental to think that i reckon. Are you just starting rows in all the threads on here tonight?!

Someone call a mod............oh wait :eek: ;)

Maybe not ever but not soon if arsenal utd or chelsea are in the same league whichever happens 1st.

kdjac

It's the name of the competition, it is used in sentences that are clear and reasonably well constructed, (I only say that because I am having real trouble understanding most of what you put down in the above post), it is used in those sentences because that is what it is called. The fact that you earned your right to play qualifiers for the competition that ye have yet to manage to get into is neither here nor there as that is not what you originally said (as you no doubt well know). When you say "As I said earlier" do you mean "I said something that was completely dissimilar to this and have battled bravely on for the last page and a half because while I am definitely wrong and have since backed down on both of the points I made earlier". because if that is what you mean then yes, you are exactly right. :rolleyes:

At least I suppose you have seen the error of your ways and took a step away from that bloody stupid comment, cathartic is it, bit like confession ? How long do you think it will be before pats qualify for the CL as champions ? How long do you think it will take for them to actually qualify for the CL ?

And just to acknowledge the point made above Pie, you are of course correct ;) Because otherwise this whole argument would have been put to bed hours ago as the pool have wone the league and followed it up with a EC win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Dear Kdjac/fellow El league supporter and foot.ie user.

Ditch the Premiership and its glamour.
    Ditch the Championship and its useless highlights shows.
    Ditch League 1 and its fallen Leeds Heroes.
    Ditch League 2 and its fake low league appearance.

Your answer lies the Blue Square Premier Division.
    In the form of Burton Albion FC and the Brewers

We held United to a draw and are on a ludicruous 15 game unbeaten run.
    The team on the fringes of the playoffs last year, will surely do it this year.

Kdjac, your carraige awaits

http://www.bluesqfootball.com/team/0,21424,5888,00.html

Signed,
    SligoBrewer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

not gonna get in on the off topic debate.

As a serious answer, id go with Barcelona.

On TV loads thanks to sky, play great football, good chance of winning something, Champions League football, bit of controversy still so you get those mini lows to make the highs better, probably just as cheap to fly there as to England and you get the bonus of a great city with savage women and nice people. If anything travel will be easier/cheaper as prices flights for match days in England often jump.

If Barca doesn't grab you, try Seville for much of the same reasons, but with the whole plucky underdog thing going on as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    not gonna get in on the off topic debate.

As a serious answer, id go with Barcelona.

On TV loads thanks to sky,

why would you want to support a side cause there on the tele a lot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

why would you want to support a side cause there on the tele a lot?

:confused: He's picking a team to support for the few months the eL is out of action. Being able to see them is probably gonna be pretty important.

From reading his posts i get the impression he doesn't want a team that he'll only be supporting by checking for their results and maybe getting to travel for one or two games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Especially since the OP goes to 90% of matches or whatever...

I'd go with Leeds. Heroes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I thought you already had a soft spot for Sevilla Kdjac. Stick with it, at least you'll get to watch some decent football. If you don't fancy travelling to the 3rd world region that is Andalucía, I'd recommend Barça. It's worth it just to see Xavi, Iniesta and Messi playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The ridiculously childish back-and-forth in this thread is horrible. If you like Irish football, f*ck it, you're stuck with it and none of these Liverpool fans are ever going to support Irish clubs. If you support Liverpool, why should you care what an eircom League fan thinks of you and your team?

This board has begun to repeat itself ad infinitum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

DaveMcG wrote: »
    I'd go with Leeds. Heroes.

Well Said. KdjaCL I know you have a hidden love for Leeds so you know it makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    This board has begun to repeat itself ad infinitum.

Amen. Lets end the pissing contests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ultimately I'd suggest Spurs. They should go on a decent enough run now and are fantastic to watch going forward, and amusing to watch defending.
    Also they are in London which makes watching them very easy. The flights over are nice and cheap. Flights to manchester multiply by 20 whenever the time of a United game is.
    If you have a team in London, it's quite easy for you to get over and back in a day. What would make it easier would be if the game was at 3 o clock, in which case, Spurs are your best bet as they are the least shown on TV.
    Furthermore, it's relatively easy to get tickets for Spurs as nearly all games bar catagory A go on general sale.
    That said, if you flew into Heathrow, you could just get the tube all the way to the Arsenal stadium.

Still, go for Spurs :)

Ease of access really should be your number one priority.

p.s. I'm imaging in a years time you'll be screaming in support for Spurs, losing your like of the eL, and then totally swap sides in the arguments :) Could be funny :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

If you want a rollercoaster ride of emotion, then Newcastle is the team for you ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement