Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I need a team.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

pick a non league team...mine is tamworth town, been keeping an eye on their results for about 6 years now and they have one 1 or 2 big days out too.

and sure, theres always our own team boardeaux to come and watch every Monday/Tuesday !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

and sure, theres always our own team boardeaux to come and watch every Monday/Tuesday !!
    He used to bloody play for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

pick a non league team...mine is tamworth town, been keeping an eye on their results for about 6 years now and they have one 1 or 2 big days out too.

tamworth vs burton albion rivalry is renewed.. tamuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Aldershot Town. Just because they have great fans http://www.redbluearmy.com/archive.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Live quite close to there and have been to a few of their games when there is nothing on telly or am at a loose end of a weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Accrington Stanley

Accrington Stanley? who are they?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

raheny red wrote: »
    Accrington Stanley? who are they?

:D

EXACTLY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Boardeux is the obvious choice4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I reckon you should support a team that plays in a country that doesn't have internet access. Then we won't have to listen to your EL rants when you go to their home games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I reckon you should support a team that plays in a country that doesn't have internet access. Then we won't have to listen to your EL rants when you go to their home games.
    :) QFT :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

BaZmO* wrote: »

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Support your local football club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

What about Rangers Kdjack?...or god forbid ....Celtic?
    Good chance of winning something come May...plus you get the excitement of being a big fish in a small pond...plus the added bonus of being a complete and utter minnow in european terms....get it both ways...and well you know who to pick ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Whooosh!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Confey?

They rejected me from the B team so I reject to support them!

The Grade A b@stards!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

PHB wrote: »
    Ultimately I'd suggest Spurs. They should go on a decent enough run now and are fantastic to watch going forward, and amusing to watch defending.
    Also they are in London which makes watching them very easy. The flights over are nice and cheap. Flights to manchester multiply by 20 whenever the time of a United game is.

I'd even bring him to a game or two...he'd need to hate West Ham thought...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Eh , Am i the only one who sense the sarcasm on this thread , in keeping with the rest of the drivel posted up here. Why not support a IRISH* team like Celtic....... All joking aside easy to get to games , you have a 50/50 chance of wining the league and will be in Europe at one stage or another and also you can put on a Celtic tracksuit head to Croke park with a big sign saying NO FOREIGN GAMES !!!!!!!!!

*hides in the corner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Sarge wrote: »
    Eh , Am i the only one who sense the sarcasm on this thread , in keeping with the rest of the drivel posted up here. Why not support a IRISH* team like Celtic....... All joking aside easy to get to games , you have a 50/50 chance of wining the league and will be in Europe at one stage or another and also you can put on a Celtic tracksuit head to Croke park with a big sign saying NO FOREIGN GAMES !!!!!!!!!

*hides in the corner

lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'm impressed that four other people voted for Pompey, as well as Eirebhoy and Moi!

If you go for Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea or Man U, the winning ust beboring, as it is expected, the only genuine emotion you can look forward to is dissappointment.

If you follow us, you will be joining the most passionate fans in the premiership who are hoping to exceed last season finish and hopefully a place in Europe. Pompey geting into Europe will mean as much to the fans as it does any Eircom League team getting into the Champions League. It is a realistic aspiration not an expectation.

The only downside is that we are crap when the TV cameras turn up:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

I'm impressed that four other people voted for Pompey, as well as Eirebhoy and Moi!

If you go for Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea or Man U, the winning ust beboring, as it is expected, the only genuine emotion you can look forward to is dissappointment.

If you follow us, you will be joining the most passionate fans in the premiership who are hoping to exceed last season finish and hopefully a place in Europe. Pompey geting into Europe will mean as much to the fans as it does any Eircom League team getting into the Champions League. It is a realistic aspiration not an expectation.

The only downside is that we are crap when the TV cameras turn up:(
    I always vote for Pompey.

SectionF wrote: »
    I always vote for Pompey.

Jesus, three of us!

we'll be startin our own "Pompey transfers rumours and General Chat" thread soon:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    not gonna get in on the off topic debate.

As a serious answer, id go with Barcelona.

On TV loads thanks to sky, play great football, good chance of winning something, Champions League football, bit of controversy still so you get those mini lows to make the highs better, probably just as cheap to fly there as to England and you get the bonus of a great city with savage women and nice people. If anything travel will be easier/cheaper as prices flights for match days in England often jump.

If Barca doesn't grab you, try Seville for much of the same reasons, but with the whole plucky underdog thing going on as well.

I agree, since I moved from Barcelona as a young kid Ive supported them from home, go to a couple of games a season. Easy to do, tickets can be found very easily with the whole city vending machine thing. Im sure youve been to Barcelona, my favourite city, cheap flights, bags of culture, youll fall in love with the place. Im quite pessimistic this season but I still reckon we should bag one of trophy.

Got my ticket for the christmas week el classico clash. My first Madrid Barca derby, cannot wait.

If you dont wanna support Barca theres alway Seville as rebel said, its another beautiful city. Or maybe even Villareal....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Pompey geting into Europe will mean as much to the fans as it does any Eircom League team getting into the Champions League.

Hardly. You think doing something that 7 teams do something every year matches upto something that has never been done before? Thats without even getting into the attachment to a team you can see every week debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

villa are a good solid team to support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Leeds...nearly guaranteed a win every week, and doesnt matter how much of a handicap they have, they'll still win the league. Isnt that what you're looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Helix wrote: »
    villa are a good solid team to support

This is true.

DSB wrote: »
    Hardly. You think doing something that 7 teams do something every year matches upto something that has never been done before? Thats without even getting into the attachment to a team you can see every week debate.

I'm not sure what you mean there. If you mean that it will mean more to pompey fans then I'd agree. Portsmouth have never played in Europe and 7 years ago we were at the foot of the old first division with a transfer imbago in place because we hadn't paid the player wages.

I have seen us play in every division of the football league and I still remember relegation from the old old third division and recall all too well the boos around the ground as we lost 2-1 to Newport County. We are still an old fashion type club, old ground, fans who generally come from the city or surrounding area and hardly any of the prawn sandwich brigade.

Just because we are now competing on level terms with teams in the "Biggest League" in europe, why would qualification for a european competition mean any less to us than a fan of Shamrock Rovers or Bray Wanderers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Because those fans are martyrs, each and every one. Haven't you realised this by now?

PiE wrote: »
    Because those fans are martyrs, each and every one. Haven't you realised this by now?

You should see some of the absolute shoite I have had to endure as a Pompey fan. Only when you have had to put up with that sort of crap, can you really appreciate the good times, which I why I'm glad I'm not a fan of one of the "Big Four".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

If you want a rollercoaster ride of emotion, then Newcastle is the team for you ;)

Couldn't agree more...they break my ****in heart every 2nd ****in weekend..:mad:

saying that..Newcastle's a great town..very friendly ppl plus the great nightlife it has to offer..
    The stadium is right in the city center and only a 5 min walk from the metro station..can't get handier than that...

Whatever you do..don't under any circumstances pick Liverpool.
    I can't tell you what I think of them as I'd been banned asap :D
    Without a doubt they are the worst fans I've ever come across.
    eg. Claim before the CL final that they will settle for a win and don't care about being in it next year. Win the CL final and then bitch about not being allowed to defend their title. Entire club throws it's toys (stolen) out of it's pram (probably stolen) until they get their way and are allowed back into it at the expense of another side who had qualified for the CL. Not only that but then the club including knobhead Gerard bitch about how the old Liverpool was awarded MBEs/OBEs and they want one as well..sickened me and a lot of other team's fans.

If anything support Arsenal..they play the finest football seen since the days of Newcastle under Keegan.
    Now I'm off to cry and remember the good old days where we still won ****all but played the football othere clubs dreamed of playing. Bar United of course cause those bastards were beating us to the league :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

from a United fan, I say City.

They've improved, not bad to watch anymore and need some decent supporters.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Who is on the telly the most during the period you're looking at? Pick them :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Who is on the telly the most during the period you're looking at? Pick them :p
    Which has the least unpleasant oligarch owner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

How about the Welsh Premier League's Aberystwyth.

Try saying that name as fast as you can 10 times. I can get to around four before my tongue twists.

I'd go with Leeds, who started with such a big deficit and now look like they are going to walk through the opposition the way they are playing at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Thrill wrote: »
    How about the Welsh Premier League's Aberystwyth.

Try saying that name as fast as you can 10 times. I can get to around four before my tongue twists..
    Pfft, as Welsh place/team names go, that's an easy one.

Ab-er-ist-wit. Not that hard.

What about Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantyssiliogogogoch Town?

Try making up chants for these guys, the game is over before you even get half way through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

DesF wrote: »
    What about Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantyssiliogogogoch Town?

Ha, I passed through this place a couple of years back and tried to take a picture of the shopping centre with its name. Wouldn't fit in the shot!

Advertisement