Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Did I buy a Lemon

Options
  • 10-11-2007 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I bought my Toyota Levin in march, (don't want to say off who for now) the car is a 00 ae111 model. Scince I got the car I had to replace the too lower arms on the front left side in the supper strut and now the right lower arm needs to be replaced. Does this happen with these cars? I got the car that way and is costing me a lot and I can't enjoy the car, should I get rid or fix the other arm on the suspention. I don't know what to do. But I heard that these cars have good power and there lots of fun. What should I do?

Can anyone help, other than what I said above the car is in good shape.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Was the car professionally inspected before being bought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Speed_Mad

The guy I got it off of said a mechanic in japan checked it out and he told the guy I got the car off of that the left suspention had minor damage.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You accepted that and didn't get it checked for further issues?

Well the guy I bought it off of sounded unique so I belevied him. I know I shouldn't have but the car looks sweet and I'm starting to think that I got stung.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Well ...you were TOLD that there was damage ..so no, I wouldn't call that getting stung.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Front multi link suspensions on JDM Toyotas are notorious for wearing out quickly. Toyota actually had a PDF on their UK website a while back explaining what is weaker/smaller on the JDM cars, and why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

You didnt get stung just cause it needed a couple new suspension parts. Is this a Bzr or a Bzg levin? the Bzr has the superstrut suspension and these struts are known to be weak and will need replacement on our roads. If the car seems good otherwise i wouldnt worry too much, its very easy to panic when you get a car first and a few bits need doing but doesnt mean its a lemon. Its a jap, replace the broken bits and it`ll keep running.

I was gonna buy 1 of these cars (Bzr model) but after researching them a bit i decided not to for the following reasons:
    1 - superstrut suspension is weak and will need replacing
    2 - the 6spd gear box in the Bzr is weak and can need replacement aswell
    3 - They are nowhere near the claimed 160bhp, lucky if they make 140 ish on our petrol. Perhaps Maxol`s new E5 grade of fuel will help this though.
    4 - I had a honda civic and was afraid of leaving Hondas ultra reliability.

The Bzg model has no superstrut suspension and has a 5speed gearbox but has the same engine so you`re propably better off getting the Bzg as it doesnt have the "weak" extras that the top of the range "Bzr" model has,,, all in all i stayed away from them cause it sounded dodgey to me that the "top" model was full of dodgey bits so to speak.

Will the dealer you bought it off help you out at all with the costs, how much were the lower arms out of interest? I remember hearing of some lad buying these struts/arms off toyota and they wernt as expensive as he thought they`d be so dont automatically write off your local toyota garage for getting the parts. A lot of main garages wont fit parts for jap imports but will order in the parts for you.

You`re better off posting this on a main car forum like dtdirl.com as most folk on here probably dont know what a levin is and the typical motorist on here drives a family wagon focus or a crap gti golf.

I sold my civic and bought a Honda Sir in the end by the way, 167bhp and no reliability issues of any nature.

Yeah shes a bzr model I had a Honda Integra 1.6 and loved it but I wanted something with a bit more umph. And the guy I got the car off of said he fixed it but I have to fix it anyway am going to change the car about this time next year, have you got any sugestions I love the jap cars.

Just stick with the Hondas, plenty of various models, plenty of variants from decentish power to fast as hell and no real reliability issues. If you had a 1.6 integra i assume it wasnt the old vtec model, i`d say you`d like any of the dohc vtec engines as a nice upgrade, an sir civic is quick enough. Im a bit of a honda fanatic but you cant get an overall better car for the power/money/looks/reliability and if you need to get some cash quick you will sell a honda in the monring.

The sir i have at the min is a 1995 del sol with 140k miles on it and its running like a dream!
    A type r civic (ek9) in black will be my next car, all going well!

The del sol is a great car I drove one and they are quick but a bit small for me. My levin is quit quick but I recon when I fix it sell it and go back to honda, I'm thinking in the way of Integra type R or civic type R my old 1.6 Integra was a 98 model a good car but I wanted a bit more power. I never drove any of the type R range are they reliable?

• Advertisement

The type r`s are reliable as any other honda. My mate had a `96 Dc2 for 2years and it gave no trouble, he just sold it. It had to get a new radiator when he got it first off the dealer but a lot of jap imports need something done to them when they come in 1st, even if its only little things. Them imports could have been sitting up for over 6months in japan or even longer before they get here.

I wouldnt give up completely on the levin yet, they look nice with the Bomex kit. What colour is yours?

The Levin is black with TRD spoiler, TRD front bumper and a vented fibre glass bonnet. She looks sweet real head turner and quick to boot. The TRD kit looks simaler to the bomex kit you would'nt notice the diffrence until you get up close. But ya she is TRD kit.

Hey Speed Mad,,,, sorry to bring up an old thread, but was just wondering if you changed the levin or stuck with it. I sold my del sol over Xmas and was half considering a levin but i said i`d stick with the hondas and bought an Sir Ek4 civic. I remembered this thread and just said i`d ask out of interest. Have you had any more problems with it or is it ok now.

Advertisement