Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

WRC - Why cant it be better?

Options
  • 11-11-2007 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

Alright, I could be way off base here but I have a few complaints to make about the upcoming WRC next weekend.

My first complaint is why is there not more promotion and advertisement of this event? Which is surely one of the largest motorsport events to come to Ireland? This seems to me to be a big dis-service to the event and to the cause of motorsport in Ireland - great we got the WRC to Ireland, trumpets and fan-faire of all the tourism its gonna bring in etc... except nobody in the general public knows its on.

My other complaint is about the super special in stormont. This could really be a great night out - except its on a thursday, in belfast?!? Why couldnt they run it on a Friday/Saturday. I'm sure many of you are like me and would love to go; I personally would love to make a whole weekend out of it, go up to belfast friday evening for the super special, stick around watch a bit of rallying up north saturday.

But with it on Thursday, I'd need to take a halfday/full days leave to make it up for 6pm and either come home late or stay overnight and take another day off? pfft....

Maybe I've just got sour grapes and this is the way it always run in other countries but I think with a bit of adjustment they could have made it far more appealing. Testament to this is that the tickets for the super special are still on sale a week beforehand priced at £28 :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Shuco

What is the point in promoting and advertising the Rally Ireland next week? Anyone who has any interest in rallying knows about it. What's the point in encouraging the general public to attend? There will be enough traffic problems without every Tom, Dick and Harry getting in the way. As it is, I cringe everytime I hear an add about it.

In many WRC events the rally starts on the Thursday evening with a Super Special. Taking leave for the first time WRC comes to Ireland......what's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Rally Ireland will be unlike any rally held here before. Its F1 on closed roads.

Designated spectator areas, etc. The organisers know they will have a full house and more.

There will be a lot of pissed off potential spectators next weekend.

Its a TV driven event, expect to be baton charged if you interfere with the schedule.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It is being promoted - I have heard several adverts regarding it on the radio - don't watch a huge amount of TV so can't speak for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Shuco wrote: »
    Anyone who has any interest in rallying knows about it.

Agreed, its not a secret, and if you have any interest in motors in general, you'll have heard about it.
    in belfast?!?
    Whats wrong with that, Let me guess, your from Dublin or near Dublin, and the world revolves around Dublin. I'm going and cant wait. But its the only part of the rally i'll see.:(

Sorry if this isn't the case, but i had an argument about this only today with a Dubliner, so its still on my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I forsee the headlines now:

"Poor oul Paddy gets milled by speeding boyracer... oh no wait he jumped out infront of a WRC car, trying to get a good picture"

I'm no mad rally head, but i've done the research, looked up the maps etc. and hope to 'get a stage in' :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Senna wrote: »
    Agreed, its not a secret, and if you have any interest in motors in general, you'll have heard about it.

Whats wrong with that, Let me guess, your from Dublin or near Dublin, and the world revolves around Dublin. I'm going and cant wait. But its the only part of the rally i'll see.:(

Sorry if this isn't the case, but i had an argument about this only today with a Dubliner, so its still on my mind.

I am from Dublin :D

I'm glad its on in Belfast though; I just wish it was on Friday or Saturday night so that I can make the Super Special and make an entire weekend of it. If it was I'd book into a hotel and stay the whole weekend up the north. Instead I'll probably just travel up Saturday instead and check out a stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

http://www.rallyireland.com/

Links to the website, with the maps.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Tails142 wrote: »
    I am from Dublin :D

I'm glad its on in Belfast though; I just wish it was on Friday or Saturday night so that I can make the Super Special and make an entire weekend of it. If it was I'd book into a hotel and stay the whole weekend up the north. Instead I'll probably just travel up Saturday instead and check out a stage.

My physic abilities grow stronger by the day:D

I think this is the format for every WRC event, spectator stage on the Thursday, then full weekend of racing. I'm going to this, but i'd prefer to see a few stage instead, but work comes first:mad:

Advertisement