Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

reserve defence forces

• 11-11-2007 1:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭

me and one of my friends are going to join the reserves but the thing is he's underweight according to another guy in the rdf i know.

i didnt know there was a weight requirement,

i was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a weight req. and if they really stick to it,

thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

im not an expert but if there is obese people in the rdf and sometimes in the pdf what diferance would it make to be under-weight. the only problem that would have is his strength in carrying a fully loaded bag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

im not an expert but if there is obese people in the rdf and sometimes in the pdf

i told the guy that said there was a weight req this but he said it didnt matter you had to be a certain weight:confused:

how heavy is a fully loaded bag??

blay1 wrote: »
    i told the guy that said there was a weight req this but he said it didnt matter you had to be a certain weight:confused:

how heavy is a fully loaded bag??

there is no set weight on a bag, u can pack what u want but u'll need differant thins on average i probally be bout 20 pounds i tink

okay, thanks for the info

okay, thanks for the info

no problem u will get better off other guys on the site who know more.

how told you this not a name but was he in the rdf , was he a crl,sgt r just a pte

• Advertisement

he's a pte, prbably not a reliable source of info

thats what i was thinking your better off going down to the barracks and talking to someboby in the know like a cpl or lt

yeah, you're right,

thanks, much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Not just an ordinary private so......but an RDF Private....far superior and knowledgeable in all matters :p

I'd be pretty thin and got on fine during my time with them, you might be thin, but it doesnt mean that your not fit, talk to someone in the know about it first :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

There's no minimum weight requirement.

If the Doc feels your under weight you'll be given a Body Mass Index exam to assess your total body fat %.

Although I'm not in the RDF so don't say what I say as given, but its how its done in the PDF.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

There's no weight requirement.

The bloke that told you that was talking out of his arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

And As For Lifting Stuff The Health&safety Reg State That You Are Required To Lift Only What You Can There Is No Min Weight That You Need Lift To Secure A Job Army Or Not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Actually I think you'll find that there is a weight requirement. It's not a set minimum weight, as such, but your BMI HAS to be within a healthy range for enlistment or you have to be subjected to a series of further tests to make sure that you're medically sound and not at risk of weight related problems, be they from too much weight or too little.

I know because I was subject to it. I showed up with a BMI of 18, which isn't far off healthy and the MO was very unhappy about it. Save for the fact that her boss, the cmdt, thought that I seemed healthy I wouldn't have passed the medical. They basically did a lot of pulling at my back to try and determine how much of it was muscle and how much of it was fat/skin. They also did the same to my thighs.I told them that I eat in McDonalds a lot and the reason I'm thin is just because of a high, teenage metabolism. I could also prove that my dad only had a BMI of 16 when he started his cadetship, thus proving that it was genetics and a high activity level keeping me light. I also mentioned how often i had to carry heavy weights. Because of that, along with the fact that my back is mainly muscle they decided to pass me.

Their reasoning, I was told, is that if you don't have enough fat and undergo any rigorous training it can age you prematurely. Also, if you don't have enough body mass, carrying a fully loaded bergen, packed webbing (incl ammo) and your weapon (be it steyr or GPMG) the weight isn't spread over a great enough area and can damage your back permanently.

If you are underweight and can go in and tell them why you are (genetics, teenage metabolism, highly active etc etc) and your reason satisfies them then they're likely to pass you, provided you're not emaciated. Also try mentioning having done something like the wicklow way where you've had to carry a heavy load over a long distance. That's not to say they'll pass you without strings attatched. My medical file says that I'm to be discharged if I suffer any backpain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

There is no weight restrictions in the rdf.
    Be it over weight or under weight.

And on the subject of the weight of a pack (bag) it would be a hell of a lot heavier than twenty pounds :D when you have your sleeping system warm clothes food extra ammo and any other mission specific equipment it gets kinda heavy.:eek:

There is no weight restrictions in the rdf.
    Be it over weight or under weight.

And on the subject of the weight of a pack (bag) it would be a hell of a lot heavier than twenty pounds :D when you have your sleeping system warm clothes food extra ammo and any other mission specific equipment it gets kinda heavy.:eek:

any idea how heavy?

:cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

It could be any weight depending what type of exercise your on and how long your going to be on the ground.
    Dont worry youll be grand.:rolleyes:

Advertisement