Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike stolen - O'Connell Street

Options
  • 11-11-2007 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi, my bike was stolen on O'Connell Street tonight between 8h15 and 8h45. Just thought I could post a picture here just in case of... It was locked to a tree just under the Spire. I've attached to this post a picture of the bike.

It was reported to the Garda but they don't seem to care much... (they were supposed to call me back at 11 to get more details... they did not).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Sorry to say but i think your bike is currently residing at the bottom of the liffey. In fairness on a saturday night o' connoll street is probably not the place to lock a bike.

Sorry if i'm being overly negative but thats the way things are in our lovely city

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Ning wrote: »

It was reported to the Garda but they don't seem to care much... (they were supposed to call me back at 11 to get more details... they did not).
    It's Saturday night. It's Dublin. I'll wager they have more pressing matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

It's never nice having your bike nicked. Sorry for yer loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Hi Ning, sorry about your bike. I've sent you a pm about where you might find it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Karoma wrote: »
    It's Saturday night. It's Dublin. I'll wager they have more pressing matters.

At 03:27 on a Sunday morning I'd wager you've better things to be doing than posting unhelpful comments on someone's stolen bike thread.

OP-Keep an eye on the Buy and Sell, the little bolloxes that took it might try to flog it there for 50quid. What bike is it? I'll keep an eye out for it anyways. Sorry to hear about it-i hate thieves.

• Advertisement

I often leave my bike on O'Connell St at night (not overnight!) on the weekends and although it can be rough it's not much more dangerous than other places. It is a busy street and is also our principal street. There is usually a garda on duty outside the GPO.

What kind of lock did you use - did they cut the tree or the lock? Helps others to avoid making similar mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Well his first mistake is that his bike is too shiny. If I was leaving my bike anywhere in the city I'd spray paint it different colours to make it look like it was peiced together from other bikes, i'd slash the seat to make it look old, I'd have mis-matching wheels, insulation tape that makes it look like it was falling apart and I'd sandpaper anything smooth. I'd make it look like junk so nobody would want it. But as long as it's comfortable who cares?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

sorry to hear that, but if the locks in the pic are what you used they are really easy to break. any lock that will go around a tree probably is. Get a really good quality chain or D lock when you replace the bike..

cregser wrote: »
    i'd slash the seat to make it look old, ...[]... I'd make it look like junk so nobody would want it. But as long as it's comfortable who cares?

would slashing the seat make it retain extra water after a shower? I know a plastic bag under the saddle can help keep the saddle dry but I almost never do this. The cushioned part of my saddle always holds water that oozes out when i sit on it. Should I keep an eye out for an old leather seat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Hi, my bike was stolen on O'Connell Street tonight between 8h15 and 8h45. Just thought I could post a picture here just in case of... It was locked to a tree just under the Spire. I've attached to this post a picture of the bike.

Thanks

I hope you weren't using those locks in the picture to lock that bike up. They would offer no protection against even the most basic bike thief. 30 seconds with a bolt cutters would break them, easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Thanks

That's a terrible fancy bicycle to be leaving on O'Connell street (or anywhere else) on a saturday night.

You have my deepest sympathies though - it is a cowardly injustice to perpetrate against an Irishman, so highly do us Irish prize our bicycles...even if it was bicycle so lacking in character and personality as the one in your picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

cregser wrote: »
    Well his first mistake is that his bike is too shiny. If I was leaving my bike anywhere in the city I'd spray paint it different colours to make it look like it was peiced together from other bikes, i'd slash the seat to make it look old, I'd have mis-matching wheels, insulation tape that makes it look like it was falling apart and I'd sandpaper anything smooth. I'd make it look like junk so nobody would want it. But as long as it's comfortable who cares?

A possible risk of this method is that your bike might be removed by the authorities who I presume occasionally purge abandoned bikes from cycle parking facilities.

And it makes you look like a skint skanger when riding it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

even if it was bicycle so lacking in character and personality as the one in your picture.

real useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Right lads, I'm sure the chap realizes he shouldn't have locked it on O'Connell Street late on a Saturday night. I don't think anyone else has to remind him of that again. I'm also sure that he has found out the hard way the his lock wasn't great-so stop telling him. As Uberwolf said, saying that the bike lacks character donates nothing to Ning-his bike's still gone, so unless you've something helpful to contribute, don't post it.

Ning-Try the gardai again -it may have been moved by the authorities-there's been a few cases recently of them putting up notices that bikes will be removed from trees in that area so it may turn up with them.

It looks like a fairly rare bike (?) so hopefully someone'll spot it or you yourself will-if you do, kick the crap out of them. Buying a stolen bike funds the little fúckers that steal them and gives them motive to do so and that's as bad as stealing it.

If you don't get it back, try to get a less fancy looking bike if you're locking it in town. As mentioned-two locks always helps. Let it get as filthy dirty as you possibly can - far less appealing looking. Always lock both of your wheels and keep the locks well up off the ground and point the key hole towards the ground. I think a big thing about bike security is to park it next to an easier target-bad for the other guy, but better for you. I've had to learn the hard way too and there's nothing worse to come back to find your bike gone-especially if it's in any way fancy.

Also mark your bike in some way to identify it. A recent thing that came up on the forum was a laminated card in the seatpost/handlebar with your name and phone number. Customising it with different pedals/mudguards/grips etc.... and having a couple of photos to identify these as yours also helps.

Again, hope you find it-stealing someone's bike's such a scum thing to do. Bastárds.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

Try Kevin Street Garda Station, thats where (or use to be, not sure if it still is) bikes that are recovered end up for disposal. Don't have the number handy but if you call the Public Office they will put you through to the Cycle Store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Sorry to hear about your bike ,all this thievery got me thinking .

Would handlebars that fold down and can be locked in that position ,put thieves off robbing bikes ?

They must rob bikes and cycle away on them ,I doubt they could cycle a bike with no handlebars.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ning

Hey guys, thanks for the answers. I've only moved to Ireland a few months ago, I did not realize that O'Connell Street was so unsafe as there are hundreds of bikes parked there, and Garda at every corner. Also I usually put my bike in very busy places hoping that it would scare thieves (lots of witnesses).

Any safe place to park my new bike in the city center?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I wouldn't call O'Connell St the worst spot in town.
    If you can manage to park outside the GPO, there is usually a garda there (slouching and texting on their mobile ;))

In theory it should be safe as it has blanket CCTV but sadly that doesn't deter the scum.
    I've seen trashed and bent bikes outside Pearse St and Store St garda stations so if it's not safe there then I don't realy know where else to suggest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

That's a terrible fancy bicycle to be leaving on O'Connell street (or anywhere else) on a saturday night.

ITs a diamond back M05, not a terrible fancy bike by any means, they are e200-250 in most places(shh even in the hell that is known as halfords http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_217790_langId_-1_categoryId_82394 , very common, cheapish bikes. not at all rare
    i reckon it was somone just locked, or a few kids who wanted a thrill.
    it wont be in the buyandsell, thieves who rob to sell know their bikes, people dont give scum enough credit, they know their expensive bikes, thats why people get bikes robbed!!never let your guard down!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ning

oobydooby wrote: »
    I often leave my bike on O'Connell St at night (not overnight!) on the weekends and although it can be rough it's not much more dangerous than other places. It is a busy street and is also our principal street. There is usually a garda on duty outside the GPO.

What kind of lock did you use - did they cut the tree or the lock? Helps others to avoid making similar mistakes.

I used this lock: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_159380_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_31389_crumb_33980-31270_parentcategoryrn_31389

Don't buy it!

• Advertisement

if thats the case why bother with alock??
    nothing wrong with that lock, its about right for the cost of the bike.
    every lock created since the dawn of time can be broken....thats fact. even ones for over e200. its all bout being smart and streetwise, ive never had a bike stolen ever(thank god)...mine is locked with a kryptonite U-lock.cost me $55 in the usa, they are bout e80 here...highly reccommend em.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

kona wrote: »
    if thats the case why bother with alock??
    nothing wrong with that lock, its about right for the cost of the bike.
    every lock created since the dawn of time can be broken....thats fact. even ones for over e200. its all bout being smart and streetwise, ive never had a bike stolen ever(thank god)...mine is locked with a kryptonite U-lock.cost me $55 in the usa, they are bout e80 here...highly reccommend em.

not sure I agree there, a cable lock like the one he used can be broken in seconds whereas a decent U lock will take at least a couple of minutes as long as you don't leave a big gap for leverage.

Being 'streetwise' isn't going to stop someone stealing a bike locked with a lock that can be broken in seconds?

copacetic wrote: »
    not sure I agree there, a cable lock like the one he used can be broken in seconds whereas a decent U lock will take at least a couple of minutes as long as you don't leave a big gap for leverage.

Being 'streetwise' isn't going to stop someone stealing a bike locked with a lock that can be broken in seconds?

yes it will, by removing the chance of a thief even looking/seeing the bike, if your really streetwise you may not even need to lock your bike(if you know where these places are)i always lock mine however, not risking the life of my bike, i cant afford another of the same spec

as for that cable lock and a similarly priced U-lock, both are ****e. those u locks are made from ****ty cast steel, very brittle, either a decend smack with a hammer or a bit of leverage(using bike as a lever)will break it no hassle.
    i work in a bike shop btw, ive broken these locks, with minimal effort.
    ive also seen the locks smashed by thieves, when the customer asks for their money back under guarantee:confused:wtf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jaycummins

BEST WAY TO LOCK A BIKE. Bring a set of those allen keys along with you in ur bag/pocket. just loosen the saddle and turn it around (ie: facing away from the handlebars). Thieves wont be able to cycle off on it without allen keys so they wont bother knicking it. If you're leaving it for more than two hours take off the front wheel (easy if u have quik release wheels) and lock it to your back wheel. This causes more effort for the thieves so they wont be bothered taking yours.
    just do anything that would piss the guy off and he wont knick it.

kona wrote: »
    it wont be in the buyandsell, thieves who rob to sell know their bikes, people dont give scum enough credit, they know their expensive bikes, thats why people get bikes robbed!!

From what I see it's mostly cheap bikes being stolen. The type of bike that is easy to sell on is a shiny "modern" looking yoke with disc brakes. I've never had my E850 Dutch bike touched (famous last words), relatively expensive yoke but hard to sell. A good road bike might fetch less at the average fence than the aforementioned "modern" yoke's. Road bikes are probably not fashionable amongst the crowd that buy stolen bikes.

jaycummins wrote: »
    just do anything that would piss the guy off and he wont knick it.

I'd say that if it looks like you've made an effort to thwart thieves, there's a increased risk that they'll destroy it instead.

People rob bikes in order to sell them on, not to make trouble for their owners. If there are other bikes to be robbed, chances are they'll ignore yours and move on to the next one.

In other words, I suspect the bike vandal and the bike thief are different people.
    Membrane wrote: »
    I'd say that if it looks like you've made an effort to thwart thieves, there's a increased risk that they'll destroy it instead.

Membrane wrote: »
    From what I see it's mostly cheap bikes being stolen. The type of bike that is easy to sell on is a shiny "modern" looking yoke with disc brakes. I've never had my E850 Dutch bike touched (famous last words), relatively expensive yoke but hard to sell. A good road bike might fetch less at the average fence than the aforementioned "modern" yoke's. Road bikes are probably not fashionable amongst the crowd that buy stolen bikes.

i work in one of the more, shall we say scenic parts of north dublin:D. i see these guys come into the shop with their robbed bikes asking how much they are worth, they aint cheap bikes, they will only go for the big names, giant,trek, gt, kona etc........they dont look twice at diamondback(i know db make expensive bikes but most in this country are cheap crap) and believe me road bikes are target number1.
    that diamond back would only get e50 max in the buyandsell(i wouldnt pay it tho) why bother with this when you can spend the same effort and risk robbing a much more expensive bike???= more money for heroin or whatever.

and this proves that the people who buy cheap bikes to commute under the excuse that they are less likely to get robbed, well full of crap tbh.
    i think i was ambushed for saying this on another thread and nobody believed me:rolleyes::D
    most cheap bikes are shiney and expensive looking....but 100% ****e....its like fishing for mackerel...works every time!!
    the op was just unlucky tbh with this one, it was defo just a bunch of sham sandwiches who stole it.
    people should buy decent bikes and a decent lock and save a fortune on repairs. then kop on and learn how to and where to lock your bike.
    decent commuter and decent lock,muguartds lights etc, should come to about e450 max.
    bus fare for me is e1.60 so lets say 3.20 for a return from town

450/3.20=140 days of bus fare so that means lets say you travel 300 days a year that makes e512 profit.......easily enough to replace the new bike if stolen and still have a profit.
    and your fitter, which means for the single lads more women!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

cunnins4 wrote: »
    A recent thing that came up on the forum was a laminated card in the seatpost/handlebar with your name and phone number. Customising it with different pedals/mudguards/grips etc.... and having a couple of photos to identify these as yours also helps.

Great idea. In the next week or so I'm going to put together a new commuter & winter training bike but it's going to look shiny and new when I'm finished assembling it. I don't really want to put sandpaper or lecce tape to it either. What I might do is just get a good D lock. I wonder what small part of the bike can be easily removed when parked that also renders it useless. I'm thinking pedals but you can't be taking those off every day, hummm, what about taking the quick releases with you when you park & lock it? The wheels would fall off almost instantly or even better the scumbag would be in a terrible accident!

IMO most thieves are opportunists unless they really want something. Regardless of the bikes worth if it looks shiny and new and some bling parts, it'll be eye-catching and more susceptible to the scumbags dirty little fingers.

Sorry to hear about your bike Ning. I would be gutted.

• Advertisement

Removing the saddle and bringing it with you strikes me as a simple and effective trick.
    Hungrycol wrote: »
    Great idea. In the next week or so I'm going to put together a new commuter & winter training bike but it's going to look shiny and new when I'm finished assembling it. I don't really want to put sandpaper or lecce tape to it either. What I might do is just get a good D lock. I wonder what small part of the bike can be easily removed when parked that also renders it useless. I'm thinking pedals but you can't be taking those off every day, hummm, what about taking the quick releases with you when you park & lock it? The wheels would fall off almost instantly or even better the scumbag would be in a terrible accident!

IMO most thieves are opportunists unless they really want something. Regardless of the bikes worth if it looks shiny and new and some bling parts, it'll be eye-catching and more susceptible to the scumbags dirty little fingers.

Sorry to hear about your bike Ning. I would be gutted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement