Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike stolen - O'Connell Street

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

kona wrote: »
    i work in one of the more, shall we say scenic parts of north dublin. i see these guys come into the shop with their robbed bikes asking how much they are worth, they aint cheap bikes, they will only go for the big names, giant,trek, gt, kona etc........they dont look twice at diamondback(i know db make expensive bikes but most in this country are cheap crap) and believe me road bikes are target number1.
    that diamond back would only get e50 max in the buyandsell(i wouldnt pay it tho) why bother with this when you can spend the same effort and risk robbing a much more expensive bike???= more money for heroin or whatever.

I could be completely wrong on this, but my impression is that most bikes are stolen by either young scrotes looking to ride them tehemselves or show their mates how daring they are, I'd imagine that this category is less likely to try and sell bikes on. The other category would be junkies who I'd think would primarily not sell directly to the public, they'd offload their spoils to fence's like that woman on the North Circular.

I was looking for a 2nd hand road bike recently and for a few months I regularly looked at the Buy and Sell, eBay and Gumtree websites, the places where supposedly a lot of stolen Dublin bikes end up. I like to think that I can smell a rat a mile away, but I found very few bikes on there that I thought could be stolen (you can tell an awfull lot from the way a bike is described in an add).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

kids do rob bikes, they do a smash and grab most times off others kids, or just nick em from schools, way more bikes there not locked than in town.

a smash and grab is where a kids is cycling along and basically gets jumped, bike taken, .
    this aint **** im making up, this is genuine, seen first hand, ive met these kids while out in st annes or whateva, they are scum.
    everyone is entitled to their opinion...but what im sayin isnt a opinion, its what happens.
    and membrane you are right buyandsell isnt littered with stolen bikes, a junkie wants/needs cash asap, he wont be waitin or puttin up with tyre kickers whilst puking everywhere desperate for a fix. they go down to the fat aul fella in little sport and flog it for a few euro.....and yes little sport is into this...or so im told by mechanics who used to work there, and local scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Without giving away any more specifics as to who this woman is, do you know how much truth is in the rumour?
    Membrane wrote: »
    ... fence's like that woman on the North Circular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

Without giving away any more specifics as to who this woman is, do you know how much truth is in the rumour?

I don't know. I read about her in the 2005 article that has been linked to before in this group: http://www.indymedia.ie/article/72315?print_page=true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Membrane wrote: »
    I don't know. I read about her in the 2005 article that has been linked to before in this group: http://www.indymedia.ie/article/72315?print_page=true

Interesting article. Never heard of her. Bítch. Thieves=scum of the earth.

Well if either of mine go missing I know where to go looking. Someone should burn her house down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Snapper1

Quantity not quality is the key!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

ITs a diamond back M05, not a terrible fancy bike by any means, they are e200-250 .....
    thieves who rob to sell know their bikes, people dont give scum enough credit, they know their expensive bikes, thats why people get bikes robbed!!never let your guard down!!
    I have seen bunches of kids checking out bikes, they are selling these on for a few quid, of course there are truely professional thieves but I firmly believe most are ignorant scum. To the untrained eye that bike does look "fancy", ignorant bike thieves will look at the disc brakes and black branded rims, -usually on more expensive bikes. Some cheap bikes are done up now to look expensive. I take the opposite route, making my expensive bike look crap.

My bike & components are all hand painted yellow, as I described in other threads. Even if somebody recognised the quality it would take them a good few days to clean the paint off to the point where somebody would buy it. It is far easier to spend 10mins with the hacksaw on a similar bike with a better chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Certain parts of O'Connell Street have had a crack down on bicycle parking - there are no cycle parking signs up on trees and around the taxi ranks. The Public Domain Unit of Dublin City Council may have taken it. Try 01 2225315 (not sure if it is the correct number).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 flippythewarvet

kona you have a generally abusive attitude and a bizarre turn of phrase. Please look into this.

All the best to you and yours,

p.s kona bikes are gay.

• Advertisement

9 posts and lashing out the abuse already^^. Nice.

I shouldn't have gone to the pub at 3 O'Clock today. Posting all sorts of rubbish on boards since I got home and I haven't even eaten my dinner!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭fantasma

The only bike on O Connell Street that is safe is the Floozie and occassionally even she has her problems. My friend took my brothers bike there one fine day and came back to my flat with the broken lock in his hands and an expressionless face. In the end I had to tell my brother it had been robbed from the shed at the back of our house to which he still believes to this day ( I am planning a future sit down session). Bikes and O connell Street don t mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

kona you have a generally abusive attitude and a bizarre turn of phrase. Please look into this.

p.s kona bikes are gay.

careful now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I cycle and I use motorcycles so one area I know about is bike security.

Sure I'm often parked outside Cineworld on Parnell St so it's vital I know this stuff.

Ask anyone in motorbikes and these are the best chains around.
    Only disadvantage is they are heavy but if you parked in the same place everyday then they are a good investment.
    Yes, they are expensive but you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

fantasma wrote: »
    The only bike on O Connell Street that is safe is the Floozie and occassionally even she has her problems. My friend took my brothers bike there one fine day and came back to my flat with the broken lock in his hands and an expressionless face. In the end I had to tell my brother it had been robbed from the shed at the back of our house to which he still believes to this day ( I am planning a future sit down session). Bikes and O connell Street don t mix.

You obviously haven't been on O'Connell St for years. The "floozie" was removed about a year before they erected the Spire. The street also has several bicycle bays.

There's no problem leaving your bike there, but this poor "Ning" chap left it there on a saturday night, so it's hardly surprising - given that it's an expensive looking bike. I would say get a normal bike like everyone else and it won't get knicked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Another place to look for bikes that may have been 'borrowed' by some of the more illustrious of our citizens is 'The Hill' - North Cumberland Street (runs between Parnell Street and Cathal Brugha Street) on a Saturday morning.

The earlier (like 6am early) the better quality of item, or so I am led to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

p.s kona bikes are gay.

who are you my ma???...sorry if i dont put sugar on the truth.
    kona bikes are the best bikes you can get

P.S are you homophobic???or just confused???...you must be a wanna be rapper so,please look into this!!! you do realise bikes cant be gay???!!where as with a namelike that, and the confusion you could be.
    loooooooooooooser:D

1974.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 flippythewarvet

who are you my ma???...sorry if i dont put sugar on the truth.
    kona bikes are the best bikes you can get

P.S are you homophobic???or just confused???...you must be a wanna be rapper so,please look into this!!! you do realise bikes cant be gay???!!where as with a namelike that, and the confusion you could be.
    loooooooooooooser:D

Your an odd fellow.. but you steam a good ham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭fantasma

You obviously haven't been on O'Connell St for years. The "floozie" was removed about a year before they erected the Spire. The street also has several bicycle bays.

There's no problem leaving your bike there, but this poor "Ning" chap left it there on a saturday night, so it's hardly surprising - given that it's an expensive looking bike. I would say get a normal bike like everyone else and it won't get knicked.

Well observed Chessplayer. Your are right. In fact I haven´t lived in Ireland for some time now and I think that event was the last time I ever went to O Connell Street. 10/10

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement