Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

The book is passed around kinda randomly apparently. You may sign it once or you may sign it 5 times. Everyone signs it once AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

There seems to be a reluctance to give "first" marks higher than around 70

The French department mark you out of 70 and record that number as a percentage. *****.

mathew wrote: »
    The book is passed around kinda randomly apparently. You may sign it once or you may sign it 5 times. Everyone signs it once AFAIK

The Invigilator today told us we "have to". And also not to sign it, even if we already have, including previous years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Everyone should sign the book once, it will be brought round on a number of occasions for this purpose. On the other hand, you should only sign it once, so if you've already signed it simply mention this to the invigilator and let it move on.

can you correct your mistakes if you see it a second time???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

I suppose in theory you could, but you might find it hard to explain why you're riffling through the pages and trying to edit an entry.

Exam tomorrow morning, then a week off!

Ugh, I have Neuroscience tomorrow. He's given the same paper for the last three years - hope that holds true again, or I may be the teensiest bit screwed.

Besta luck with them folks.

Im off till Wednesday. Hopefully I'll get a bit of productive study done in those days.. Its been kinda unproductive since my last exam on friday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭scruttocks

Maths and stats tomorrow, then I have to get up to 40% in my giveaway subject on paddy's day for an exam on wed. Sick. At least there's a good rate of return on study when you don't have a clue about the subject

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Argh, nerves.

/goes to bed

Ugh, I have Neuroscience tomorrow. He's given the same paper for the last three years - hope that holds true again, or I may be the teensiest bit screwed.

Ugggh. He changed every single question, the bastard. I got two answers written anyway, and they make sense, but I think he wanted more references than I had to hand.

Ugggh. He changed every single question, the bastard. I got two answers written anyway, and they make sense, but I think he wanted more references than I had to hand.

Sure at least you have another one over now. Closer to finishing up..

I really cant wait to get it all done. Its starting to get to me now.
    Only 7 days to go tho.. I can do this.. :cool:

And it all turns sour on one exam...

Not gonna get schols now, but exemptions should be pretty safe with very little more work. Or I could work my ass off for the next week and pray to God for favourable questions. The choices...

:(

Today's exam was easy but unforgiving. I chose one long question I didn't get finished over a shorter one that probably would have yielded more marks. The other 3 were all right though. I'd predict about 60-75%, hopefully scraping the 70%.

Still reasonably on track. The hardest test will be Thurs and Fri though.

obl wrote: »
    And it all turns sour on one exam...

Not gonna get schols now, but exemptions should be pretty safe with very little more work. Or I could work my ass off for the next week and pray to God for favourable questions. The choices...

I do know the feeling. Felt that way after my exam today, but looking over the paper I realised I actually did better than I thought. I'm sticking with the hope of Schols and the praying, though it didn't work today. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Yeah I think my chances of getting schols went on a bad question on my first paper. But it's been good since, so I'm keeping up hope and study. Won't be all that surprised when they come back and tell me I got 59% or something that would render the whole thing pointless.

Is anyone else pinpointing the moments where they went wrong that will potentially cost them schols?

I'm far too analytical for my own good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

Is anyone else pinpointing the moments where they went wrong that will potentially cost them schols?

Every waking minute.

It does, in fact, make it difficult to study for the rest, and my difficult ones are yet to come. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Mine wasn't so much driving into a wall as having your breaks cut on a long hill and gradually realising that you're about to drive into a wall. Which is the problem with essay questions. Only saw I'd ****ed it up when I was too far gone to do something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

I've done two out of five so far, on both I failed to get the last questions finished, though today it was worse than the last time, I hardly got started. I expected these to be my worse exams, but schols is pretty much sailed now. Funny, after all the studying it was the same problem I've had since junior cert that screwed me over. I don't learn, ever.

Ah well. I have to tell myself I'm gonna pull a blinder in my remaining exams, if only to motivate myself to get exemptions. Roll on EC Law!!

Not finishing one question is by no means an immediate problem wrt getting schols. You are still only aiming for 70% don't forget - that is less than 3/4 of the questions answered fully correctly! ;)

My experience is that most people underestimate their marks in schols, not the other way round. Stick in there all of you! (though if you don't get it don't blame me!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

Does anyone know if schols really is 'if you deserve it, you'll get it'? Or do they tweak marking schemes to make sure not everyone deserves it? I just got worried yesterday 'cause there's ten talented people taking psych schols as either SH or TSM and I don't see them giving ten, or even eight or six scholarships to a fifty-person class; even though potentially all ten could get 70%+.

They told us in CS that they'd be happy if everyone got schols. Despite this, only 1 person's got it in the last 3 years.

I reckon they're just very unforgiving with the marking.

Only myself and one other guy are going for it seriously from my course. The other guy's a genius and will get it. I'm just worried what comparisons to him will do to my marks...

Liquorice wrote: »
    Does anyone know if schols really is 'if you deserve it, you'll get it'? Or do they tweak marking schemes to make sure not everyone deserves it? I just got worried yesterday 'cause there's ten talented people taking psych schols as either SH or TSM and I don't see them giving ten, or even eight or six scholarships to a fifty-person class; even though potentially all ten could get 70%+.

Not after that Neuroscience paper....

But covceivably, yes. In practice, probably not - they do tend to curve it a bit.

I just remembered I forgot to sign the book.

I think it's ridiculous the way they bring it around. You're doing a difficult exam. It's distracting to be told you're expected to catch the invigilator's attention.

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I just remembered I forgot to sign the book.

I think it's ridiculous the way they bring it around. You're doing a difficult exam. It's distracting to be told you're expected to catch the invigilator's attention.

They got us to all queue up and sign it at the end..

Liquorice wrote: »

They've given up to 7 to TP before, and that's only a 30-35 person class.

mathew wrote: »
    They got us to all queue up and sign it at the end..
    I know, and I forgot to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

I've got three in a row tomorrow, Thursday and Friday. Bloody hell. Give me and Sir Ophiucus your sympathies. And your tips on midday napping, 'cause I'm gonna need it.

Advertisement