Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

So, how did the Friday exams go for people?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭t0mm

LenovoUser wrote: »
    Better than having a bad experience !!! Basically, I am not speaking from experience of schols, millions of words have been written and are being written here and elsewhere by people who have no experience of schols. We plan !

But your not planning. Someone asked how hard they were, and you answered him. But you never did them. It's like if someone asks what France is like, and you turn up and speak over a French man, because you feel as you are older than a someone, that you know more about schols. That is poor logic. You also seem to have failed to grasp the fact that not everyone who does schols does programming. It may come as a suprise to you, but not everyone does. I will now leave a long and obnoxious pause while this information sinks in ..............
    I hope this pause was long enough. If it wasn't, please scroll back up and repeat as necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭LenovoUser

t0mm wrote: »
    But your not planning. Someone asked how hard they were, and you answered him. But you never did them. It's like if someone asks what France is like, and you turn up and speak over a French man, because you feel as you are older than a someone, that you know more about schols. That is poor logic. You also seem to have failed to grasp the fact that not everyone who does schols does programming. It may come as a suprise to you, but not everyone does. I will now leave a long and obnoxious pause while this information sinks in ..............
    I hope this pause was long enough. If it wasn't, please scroll back up and repeat as necessary.
    Aw Shucks...

LenovoUser wrote:
    Aw Shucks...

Don't worry. Many people get a bit senile and start to forget what they were talking about in their old age. It's to be expected really.

Don't worry. Many people get a bit senile and start to forget what they were talking about in their old age. It's to be expected really.
    If you weren't a Trinity student, I would take that to be an outrageous expression of Ageist bigotry, so please desist. Thanks .

• Advertisement

LenovoUser wrote:
    If you weren't a Trinity student,

I find it ironic that you attempt to berate me for being ageist, yet this sort of snobish elitism is of the exact same genre and worthy of the exact same condemnation, so please desist. Thanks.

I find it ironic that you attempt to berate me for being ageist, yet this sort of snobish elitism is of the exact same genre and worthy of the exact same condemnation, so please desist. Thanks.
    You are guilty of making an outrageous Ageist statement without qualification, only a sincere retraction and apology will suffice .

I believe that it is a fact the Trinity students do not publish such statements, but this does not excuse your unqualified statement one way or the other whether they do, or whether they would, or whether anybody else would make such statement or not, whatever I may be taken to have implied or not, in my objection to your published statement here which is an unqualified attack on elderly people everywhere.

I shall not continue as I am not a nagger, and in any case I am getting ready to watch the match. Good Evening !

( People do not have a choice about being elderly as you will find out, people do have a choice , comparatively, as to whether they become Trinity students or not ) .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

If you weren't a Trinity student, I would take that to be an outrageous expression of Ageist bigotry, so please desist. Thanks .

You are guilty of making an outrageous Ageist statement without qualification, only a sincere retraction and apology will suffice .

I believe that it is a fact the Trinity students do not publish such statements, but this does not excuse your unqualified statement one way or the other whether they do, or whether they would, or whether anybody else would make such statement or not, whatever I may be taken to have implied or not, in my objection to your published statement here which is an unqualified attack on elderly people everywhere.

I shall not continue as I am not a nagger, and in any case I am getting ready to watch the match. Good Evening !

( People do not have a choice about being elderly as you will find out, people do have a choice , comparatively, as to whether they become Trinity students or not ) .

I'd love to this this battle in The Thunderdome / The Insult Thread :rolleyes:

LenovoUser wrote:

Again, this snobish belief that a "Trinity student" is in some way superior to everyone else. For you to refuse to even acknowledge the prejudice contain in such a statment, then move on to demand an apology for my diagnosis of your inconsistant and incoherient posting, beggars belief. I never once stated negative implications with being old, other that medical facts. Nor did I state that I was in anyway above anyone of any age. You on the other hand, hold that you are better in manner and status because of the place you learn, and use this belief in defence of it's own.

"I am better than you because I got to Trinity, and I know this because I am better than you, because I got to Trinity."

I stick to my guns sir.

I'd love to this this battle in The Thunderdome / The Insult Thread :rolleyes:
    Hi old friend - oops, sorry there, I didn't mean anything sinister in the "old" adjective, I use it in the sense of " endearing ", stop swatting for once, potential Schol, and enjoy the match .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

mathew wrote: »
    <beingPedantic>

just thought i'd point out that over and out makes no sense..
    Over means you're finished what you're saying and expect a reply
    Out means you're finished what you're saying and dont expect a reply

</beingPedantic>

To be fair, pointing out an error in a small part of his post is kinda pointless.

You'd be better spending the time pointing out that the gross majority of his posts have little attention paid to relevance to ANYTHING........

So, how did the Friday exams go for people?

Seriously, ignore the trolls. I don't want this thread locked, it's really useful, but if people keep responding to one another it most likely will be.

Fad wrote: »
    To be fair, pointing out an error in a small part of his post is kinda pointless.

You'd be better spending the time pointing out that the gross majority of his posts have little attention paid to relevance to ANYTHING........
    Ah sure we can't all be as talented as you, Fad ! ( said tongue-in-cheek as I view the grammar of your last sentence with concern for the future of the English language! ) BIG GRIN.

Seriously, ignore the trolls. I don't want this thread locked, it's really useful, but if people keep responding to one another it most likely will be.
    Absolutely, Sir ! Please note that they are all responding like a pack of wolves to some harmless observations I made . But I share your concern, so I'm adjourning now to watch the match in the hope that they will calm down .

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

What's going on?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Ah sure we can't all be as talented as you, Fad ! ( said tongue-in-cheek as I view the grammar of your last sentence with concern for the future of the English language! ) BIG GRIN.

Brilliant, when you cant respond to something adequately, you point out grammar errors. Bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Can everyone please stay somewhere near the topic? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Can everyone please stay somewhere near the topic? Thanks.

Can we gat a ban, or an infraction or something please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

Mods ruin all the fun :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Kazaap

For what exactly was he banned? Surely if being annoying and/or stupid is a bannable offence then half the people who post here would be gone. And its not like hes a troll, he is genuinely like.... that. I cant think of any other reasons for a ban, unless something was said thats been deleted. Hes the most entertaining thing on boards at the moment though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Kazaap wrote: »
    For what exactly was he banned? Surely if being annoying and/or stupid is a bannable offence then half the people who post here would be gone. And its not like hes a troll, he is genuinely like.... that. I cant think of any other reasons for a ban, unless something was said thats been deleted. Hes the most entertaining thing on boards at the moment though :(
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/banlist.php

"please do not reregister another account. we do not want you to use this site again, ever." - DeVore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Kazaap

Thanks, its such a terrible shame though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

please do not reregister another account. we do not want you to use this site again, ever.

Bit much don't you think?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Bit much don't you think?
    Don't think dev liked the nazi stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Oh another account? thought ****head found the mickeymac account to be enough. :P (why is it that the temptation to stir **** is just ssoooo hard to resist :P

And now for something completely different.

I am thinking of doing schols next year, what are the exams like for history/english? Are they the same structure and style as normal exams, and just require more detail, or are they of a completely different ilk altogether? What topics were asked, or is it literally everything? Thanks.

If you have a look here, you can find the schol exam papers for those subjects for the past few years and compare: http://www.tcd.ie/Local/Exam_Papers/schols.html

For English, at least, they're not dissimilar to the regular exams, but do tend to have more general questions and expect more critical references and analysis. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Will previous schol papers be representative of next year's exam, though? Considering they're moving it forward to January, I imagine there'll be less of an emphasis on 2nd year material and more on 1st... Hope they give some (or lots!) of sample papers for it. :/

If the exam format changes then yes, lecturers have to give a sample paper something like 8 weeks before the exam. So it'll be worth asking the lecturers their opinion on this (obviously not now though!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Will previous schol papers be representative of next year's exam, though? Considering they're moving it forward to January, I imagine there'll be less of an emphasis on 2nd year material and more on 1st... Hope they give some (or lots!) of sample papers for it. :/

You'll most likely get one per subject with..

Advertisement