Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

Therer were 85ish scholars this year apparently. The largest number in recent years (ever possibly?). Or so I was told the Provost said in an address to the SU Council a week or so ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

rjt wrote: »
    Therer were 85ish scholars this year apparently. The largest number in recent years (ever possibly?). Or so I was told the Provost said in an address to the SU Council a week or so ago.

As in 85 to be elected this year??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

Maybe they're being generous seeing as people may not be as willing to go for it next year, resulting in fewer scholars and less monetary loss to college? I know it's supposed to be objective and everyone who gets over 70, but I get the impression there's a bit of twiddling with marks if there are too many successful candidates.

I don't know exactly but I think Trinity Monday you just go yourself, if your name gets called you get ushered around for the day with the other scholars, if not you find other people who missed out and drink away the disappointment.

mathew wrote: »
    As in 85 to be elected this year??

Yeah. The exact figures I was told (which are second hand, so could be wrong) - 83 scholars, which is 27% of those that took the exams. And apparently the highest number ever.

rjt wrote: »
    Yeah. The exact figures I was told (which are second hand, so could be wrong) - 83 scholars, which is 27% of those that took the exams. And apparently the highest number ever.

Cool... Still not gonna get my hopes up tho.. Exemptions are fine!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Yeah, it's 27%. Or so I heard too...

It's the 11th day at the 11th hour, right? Semi-decent clothing, I presume? To be honest, I'm expecting nothing.

@mathew: You, me and JC meet up in LG12 that morning(if he's up for it too!), then head on up?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You can wear whatever you want at the announcement. Its that evening at the Scholars Dinner that you need to be well attired. 83 sccholars would indeed be a lot, its normally around the 70 mark. Good luck to everyone waiting.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    You can wear whatever you want at the announcement. Its that evening at the Scholars Dinner that you need to be well attired. 83 sccholars would indeed be a lot, its normally around the 70 mark. Good luck to everyone waiting.

You got scholls didnt you?
    Whats the story with the day if you get em? Are you ushered around to all sorts of things for the whole day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

It is 83, but the percentage of people getting schols is about the same. Its usually around a quarter of those who sit the exams.

And college doesn't do generous, people who get schols earn them.

You got scholls didnt you?
    Whats the story with the day if you get em? Are you ushered around to all sorts of things for the whole day?

More or less, though they are all optional events. Worth going to though. You meet the junior dean, have lunch in the provost's garden (followed by the game of marbles with the fellows!) and possibly some other things I forget. You'll be free from about 3pm to organise yourself for the scholars dinner that night.

• Advertisement

More or less, though they are all optional events. Worth going to though. You meet the junior dean, have lunch in the provost's garden (followed by the game of marbles with the fellows!) and possibly some other things I forget. You'll be free from about 3pm to organise yourself for the scholars dinner that night.

Thats alright. Thought theyre were events all day.
    obl wrote: »
    @mathew: You, me and JC meet up in LG12 that morning(if he's up for it too!), then head on up?

sorry, missed that earlier..
    My parents want to come to the announcement so I'll pass on that.
    Might meet up for the dinner if we both get it (not exactly expecting to myself tho.
    Ill listen out for your name :P

obl wrote: »
    Yeah, it's 27%. Or so I heard too...

It's the 11th day at the 11th hour, right? Semi-decent clothing, I presume? To be honest, I'm expecting nothing.

I saw a timetable earlier today, and I think it said that the announcement of scholars and fellows was between 10 and 10.30. I might be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

There's a timetable on the TSM noticeboard, which is at the Nassau Street entrance, right beside the entrance to the gallery.

I plan to be there anyway - even if I don't get it, I'd love to be a part of the tradition. And I'm keeping my hopes up! :)

There's a timetable on the TSM noticeboard, which is at the Nassau Street entrance, right beside the entrance to the gallery.

I plan to be there anyway - even if I don't get it, I'd love to be a part of the tradition. And I'm keeping my hopes up! :)

Thanks. I'll have a look at that.
    The announcement is 10am. I emailed the exam office to ask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

83 may have sounded like a large number this time last year, but right now it seems positively minuscule...

bright wrote: »
    83 may have sounded like a large number this time last year, but right now it seems positively minuscule...

Ye.. I was thinking the same thing myself alright.. if you think how many people sat the exams... somewhere up in the 320 range...
    Ah well sure.. all we can do now is wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Ye.. I was thinking the same thing myself alright.. if you think how many people sat the exams... somewhere up in the 320 range...
    Ah well sure.. all we can do now is wait and see

If 83 is 27% then 307-308 people sat schols, and if this year is like any other no where near that number of people actually finished all the exams.

Don't stress yourselves into the ground over it this week. Seriously, go to the pav. Watch the unmentionable event get set up. Drink, dance and forget about it. Stressing this week wont make a difference Monday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

bright wrote: »

It's all over now. There's nothing to be nervous about. Hils is right.

I'm just hoping all of you were in the Pav last night!

Argh, I know, but if you look at Psycholoogy (one of my TSM courses), eight people sat the exam (including me) and they all got exemptions! No way of knowing what way Psychology's gonna go there. :( And I have *no* idea how many English students (SH or TSM) got exemptions, or even how many did the exam ("lots").

I know it really doesn't matter at this stage, but I can't help but fret.

Argh, I know, but if you look at Psycholoogy (one of my TSM courses), eight people sat the exam (including me) and they all got exemptions! No way of knowing what way Psychology's gonna go there. :( And I have *no* idea how many English students (SH or TSM) got exemptions, or even how many did the exam ("lots").

I know it really doesn't matter at this stage, but I can't help but fret.

The number of people getting exemptions isn't always that good an indicator of who gets schols anyway. I've seen subjects where everyone who got exemptions got schols and some where none did. My advice would be to stop trying to overanalyse everything!

• Advertisement

You're right, but still... *is nervous*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Will people who do Schols next year have to wait till Trinity Monday?

Fad wrote: »
    Will people who do Schols next year have to wait till Trinity Monday?

I'd say so ye.. Keep with tradition and all that.

I may well be wrong however..

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

Is everyone here planning to go next Monday or have a friend who won't mind making an awful phonecall there instead?

My course don't give exemptions and apparently no indication either...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I'd say so ye.. Keep with tradition and all that.

I may well be wrong however..

Stalking this board has made me see how "Lovely" the wait has been so far.

I can only imagine the longer wait will make it even more fun.

Brods wrote: »
    Is everyone here planning to go next Monday or have a friend who won't mind making an awful phonecall there instead?

My course don't give exemptions and apparently no indication either...

I shall be there.. There's always that slight chance.. however tiny it may be.. it'd be good craic to I'd say..

Whats the story with a swearing in ceremony on tuesday tho??

http://www.tcdlife.ie/scholars/scholar/about-monday.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Are the results emailed out, or do we have to be there. I'd much rather not go in, but have been told that if you're not there to accept you miss out. Can anyone say with any certainty?

They are posted on the notice board for outside the exam hall. Nothing was emailed about exemptions or timetables or anything.

You could ask the exams office... just email exams@tcd

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

I have been told that if you're not there to accept you miss out.

Thatd be frickin' hilarious if it was true, what with me having exams on the wednesday and thursday...

• Advertisement

Are the results emailed out, or do we have to be there. I'd much rather not go in, but have been told that if you're not there to accept you miss out. Can anyone say with any certainty?

That's very much not true. You have to be around on the Tuesday morning to be sworn in, but even that can be worked around I imagine. You'd wanna be there on the Monday night though, the dinner is not to be missed. The results aren't e-mailed out either, but they're posted up immediately following the announcement.
    Whats the story with a swearing in ceremony on tuesday tho??

You go into the Provost's house on Tuesday morning, you say an oath in latin (something about honoring the defending the educational integrity of the provost and the college or some such nonsense). Its the end of the formalities though. After that you are officially scholars.

Advertisement