Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

My course head asked me(as the only exemptee in my course) if I was going in on Monday at ten.

Now I'm racked with doubt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Why doubt? Surely that's a good sign?

Jimmy, you've tried to get coherent, unambiguous information regarding schols out of him, right?

True....

The way he said it was more just out of general interest, but I'm looking for hints that may not be there. And the lack of them is making me doubtful. I dunno. Here comes the stress again!

• Advertisement

My dept are incredibly distant from the subject of schols. I wouldn't know where to go looking for hints if I desired them.

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    My dept are incredibly distant from the subject of schols. I wouldn't know where to go looking for hints if I desired them.

Us being such a small course, we kinda know him, personally. Still hoping to be the 10th CSLL scholar ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

Is that the done thing? asking?! seems crazily unconvoluted for trinity!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

obl wrote: »
    Us being such a small course, we kinda know him, personally. Still hoping to be the 10th CSLL scholar ever!
    How long is ever? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Brods wrote: »
    Is that the done thing? asking?! seems crazily unconvoluted for trinity!

It varies wildly by department. Some departments, especially small ones, will give hints to the students (i.e. "make sure you're there on Monday"). Others won't say a word.
    How long is ever?

1592?

• Advertisement

The first one was in 1989, most recent in 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

most recent in 2005.

Nope, a good few years before that.

Nope, a good few years before that.

Sheggs? Carl always refers to Claire (03) as the most recent though.

http://www.tcdlife.ie/scholars/scholar/about-list.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Sheggs? Carl always refers to Claire (03) as the most recent though.

http://www.tcdlife.ie/scholars/scholar/about-list.php

Oh yeah, makes sense. I was thinking of 05 being my SF, but it's late and only now am I realising that years cross calendar years.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    you say an oath in latin (something about honoring the defending the educational integrity of the provost and the college or some such nonsense)

"Ego <nomum>, electus in numerum Discipulorum hujus Collegii, promitto me statutis Collegii obtemperaturum, et ea ab aliis observanda quantum in me est curaturum.
    Scholastica exercitia singula, discipulis in statutis injuncta diligenter praestabo; et si cura mihi muneris alicujus obeundi in negotiis Collegii administrandis commissa fuerit, ea studiose perfungar. Collegii, et singulorum in eo studentium, praesertim Praepositi et Sociorum seniorum salutem, et dignitatem, pacem, et commodum, tuebor et procurabo. Praeposito in omnibus licitis et honestis, promptissima voluntate et studio parebo. Haec omnia supra memorata in me recipio, atque me sedulo facturum promitto ac spondeo."

Reading the stutes is awesome.

i sound like an eejit when reading in english.. This is gonna be tough.. Do they give you a copy with phonetic pronounciation? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

Confident much? :)

Matt, don't worry, last year, one of my friends showed me a copy of it with a phonetic pronunciation guide e.g; collegii = co-leg-gee

But back to my first point, I'm not too worried about that. :rolleyes:

I knew JC latin would come in handy some day!

bright wrote: »
    Confident much? :)

Matt, don't worry, last year, one of my friends showed me a copy of it with a phonetic pronunciation guide e.g; collegii = co-leg-gee

But back to my first point, I'm not too worried about that. :rolleyes:

Ah no.. dont really plan on having to read it.. But there is always that tiny little chance..
    Once a phonetic version is supplied everyone that gets it should be fine...

I hope I do have to make an attempt at reading it tho.. well worth the making a fool of oneself... :P

edit: Just realised I missed my 1000 posts landmark.... :(

We had someone from the history dept come in and go through it with us for 20 minutes or so, so that was handy. You don't do it individually anyway, its all in one group so you mutter whatever you feel like really!

• Advertisement

Charters say that you can say it in Latin or English. I'll do Latin if I get the chance.

Whay are we made to wait again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭scruttocks

any word on numbers for BESS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

More generally, does anyone know how many Scholars the different faculties "get", if it's even divided up that way.

http://www.tcdlife.ie/scholars/scholar/about-list.php tells me only three people in each of Psychology and English got it last year, but I don't know if that takes TSMs into account. Hmmm.

Edit: Ohh, fascinating, it doesn't (you have to search for "Two Subject Moderatorship"). Eight TSM Scholars last year.

Edit2: Even more fascinating, there were only 71 Scholars last year, compared to this year's reported 83. This search thing is incredible!

More generally, does anyone know how many Scholars the different faculties "get", if it's even divided up that way.

It's not, at least not insofar as there is no limit to how many each faculty/school get, though I think the foundation scholarships might be (there are only ever 70 foundation scholars, so only 14 or so get elected every year. I presume they're spread out via the schools, or they'd all be in science).

I think Sir Ophicus was asking if anyone knows the breakdown of the 83 this year by faculty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

I highly doubt that will be released until Monday. Unfortunately. Though it is probably for the best not getting hopes up etc.

You're probably right. What I'd like to know is how may of the ~320 who sat the exams are still in the running at this stage. Among people I know, it's running at about 20%, which can't be right...

well considering 27% of the 320 apparently got it there can hardly be 20% of the 320 in the running..
    Id say about 20ish from my course applied, 14 sat and 10 got exemptions..
    That doenst really say much for the other courses tho

• Advertisement

bright wrote: »
    I highly doubt that will be released until Monday. Unfortunately. Though it is probably for the best not getting hopes up etc.

Members of the Board should have that info already - but not student numbers, just details of how many in each course would have got it.

Advertisement