Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

sternn wrote: »
    If scholars decide not to take accomodation, is there a monetary payout?

There is!!

As for the President, her daughter got schols in Dentistry.

Its a pretty surreal day..
    +1 to what Liquorice said tho.. it is pretty sweet wandering around the college in a gown.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

Today was one of those days that made me love Trinity even more, seeing the Scholars get called out and all the funny and fancy things that went with it, lets hope the college keeps these traditions in order as changes are introduced starting next year.

A big shout out to the 10 BESS Scholars, well done, as I said before I pretty much think your great for even doing schols but well done on being part of the biggest group of BESS scholars for a while!! Also commiserations to those who didn't get it, quite a number on 69, that must be hard.

Also 3 foundations scholars in BESS!! Well done, well done!! :D

You guys know who you are!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

sternn wrote: »
    If scholars decide not to take accomodation, is there a monetary payout?

Yes, I think its half the value of the room, so in or around two grand. I'll highly recommend taking the accomodation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Any word on Foundation or Toronto Schols?

It should be on the noticeboard outside the exam hall. It'll say Foundation beside those who got it (or possible non-foundation beside everyone else, I dont remember). It also lists the Toronto Schol winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭antiselfdual

obl wrote: »
    Any word on Foundation or Toronto Schols?

Well,
    rjt wrote: »
    Robin (Joshua) Tobin, Maths.
    Have to say I'm very impressed.

Damn straight.

bright wrote: »
    really? I wasn't even aware there was an appeals process. Have people ever gotten it on appeals?

I got 68. Too far out for it to matter for myself, I think.

But a friend of mine got 69 and he may have been quite harshly treated.

You can't appeal just because you were harshly treated, but if there was an error made in the counting up of your script you can definitely get it looked over. There are other similar means by which you can appeal which I can't remember now. So because academics make mistakes, yes go check it out.

And yes, people have gotten it before on rechecks but it is unlikely.

If you're looking for more information have a chat with Hugh (sueducat@tcd.ie) and/or your tutor.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

Would also like to mention Ruadhai Dervan (maths) and Brendan O' Conchuir (TP) who came 2nd and 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Congrats to Matthew specifically, big announcement at an assembly this evening (Conor Brodrick too, if he's on here)!

Congrats to everyone else of course!

OK, so what's the story for next year, does anyone know? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

obl wrote: »
    OK, so what's the story for next year, does anyone know? :)
    I've been trying to find out very unsuccessfully.. :/ Nobody will give me any straight answers.

It'll be 3 exams during the week beginning January 4th-ish. How the exams themselves will be split up is to be decided at the start of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭antiselfdual

I've been trying to find out very unsuccessfully.. :/ Nobody will give me any straight answers.

This might help or at least make you more confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Does anybody know If the first year exams in Medicine still contribute to the schols If I choose to sit them?
    Had intended to do a serious amount of study during the summer but I may have allready placed myself out of the running with my performance this year. :mad:

http://www.tcdlife.ie/scholars/scholar/review-update-apr.php

This is the latest info on schols for next year that I am aware of, though it could be out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I think the lack of easily accessible and plainly worded information is actually factored into schols as an extra element of difficulty.

Congratulations to everyone who got them by the way, which I forgot to say earlier. Seemed like a lot of deserving people were rewarded. I didn't get it which wasn't really a surprise at all... but sincere commiserations to anyone who put in the work and just missed.

Fad wrote: »
    Congrats to Matthew specifically, big announcement at an assembly this evening (Conor Brodrick too, if he's on here)!

Congrats to everyone else of course!

Oh Jaysus?? Are you serious?? Bernies husband was elected a fellow of the college too..

That was a pretty incredible day I have to say tho. The evening especially. Was really cool to meet the Scholars of the decades and so many of my lecturers. What a speech by Prof. Luce too.. think that was when it began to sink in..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

mathew wrote: »
    Oh Jaysus?? Are you serious?? Bernies husband was elected a fellow of the college too..

We had an assembly about Graduation and Shelia mentioned about the two of you getting it. Nothing about Bernie though!

Alex has a lot to live up to now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Karlusss wrote: »
    I think the lack of easily accessible and plainly worded information is actually factored into schols as an extra element of difficulty.
    And lack of any previous exam papers for the (possibly) new layout/syllabus/blah. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭scruttocks

RAAAAARGH scholars dinner was great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I concur.

And then going to Lillies in capes...

What a day/night.....

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

Fad wrote: »

Thanks... do I know you?!

Well done everyone!

Brods wrote: »
    Thanks... do I know you?!

Well done everyone!

He's current sixth year apparently ;)

Anyone know if commons runs through the summer.. or if not when it ends??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You cheap soundrel!

It does, but it changes to mid-day commons (so lunch basically) in a couple weeks. Seved at 1.05 in the room to the left of the main dining hall. Much more informal too, you can leave whenever you want (unless you're the poor sod who has to say grace). Its kind of a carvery thing, pretty nice generally.

Stupid facebook quiz...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Bess head........ \o/

Bess head........ \o/

Schols reject.

That one hurt. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 diluvial

On the topic of commons, I have a few questions: how long do normal commons last? Is seating allocated or anything? and is there any dress code, or can you wear anything whatsoever ( within obvious limits)?
    I don't want to embarrass myself on my debut :D

Advertisement