Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Ah life is too short to worry about these things.
    Do you think that the hours you put in to schols will soften the workload for you next year?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

diluvial wrote: »
    On the topic of commons, I have a few questions: how long do normal commons last? Is seating allocated or anything? and is there any dress code, or can you wear anything whatsoever ( within obvious limits)?
    I don't want to embarrass myself on my debut :D

About 45 minutes. From 1815 - 1900. No allocated seating (just dont go sitting down at the fellows table up top!). There is no dress code.

The most common mistake made by new scholars (and guests) is that they dont realise they have to stay standing while the fellows exit the dining hall following the second prayer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

obl wrote: »
    Stupid facebook quiz...
    Bess head........ \o/
    obl wrote: »
    Schols reject.

That one hurt. :D
    I started it and stopped after question 1.

It didn't adequately reflect the habits of my friends :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It does, but it changes to mid-day commons (so lunch basically) in a couple weeks. Seved at 1.05 in the room to the left of the main dining hall. Much more informal too, you can leave whenever you want (unless you're the poor sod who has to say grace). Its kind of a carvery thing, pretty nice generally.

Oh cool.. bit of a free lunch when Im in work so!!
    Does one still have to sign in before xx o'clock on the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 diluvial

About 45 minutes. From 1815 - 1900. No allocated seating (just dont go sitting down at the fellows table up top!). There is no dress code.

The most common mistake made by new scholars (and guests) is that they dont realise they have to stay standing while the fellows exit the dining hall following the second prayer.

I don't seem to have a thanks button so i'll thank you manually like a schlub: thanks.

• Advertisement

mathew wrote: »
    Oh cool.. bit of a free lunch when Im in work so!!
    Does one still have to sign in before xx o'clock on the day?

Before 11am.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭antiselfdual

The other most common mistake is thinking that the online menu bears any resemblance to what is actually served.

The other most common mistake is thinking that the online menu bears any resemblance to what is actually served.

Well yes, but I was saving that as a surprise. Always bear in mind, if the menu claims you're getting Baked Alaska as a dessert, its wrong - they toyed with us over that one for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭antiselfdual

I've never seen that one... The "chocolate couscous pudding" has always intrigued me but has never materialised (probably for the best).

I guess I won't ruin any more surprises, although I will mention that they're quite fond of cream.

Sorry for all the questions here Podge...
    How long does lunch normaly take?? is it less than half an hour?
    It'd be quite cool to be able to pop over on my lunch from work :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Brods wrote: »
    Thanks... do I know you?!

Doubt it, but your name was mentioned at the assembly yoke.

Sorry for all the questions here Podge...
    How long does lunch normaly take?? is it less than half an hour?
    It'd be quite cool to be able to pop over on my lunch from work :P

You can leave as soon as you're done, so 20 minutes or so if you wanted.
    I've never seen that one... The "chocolate couscous pudding" has always intrigued me but has never materialised (probably for the best).

Hmm, never saw that one. I'd love to know who writes up the menus, cause they're clearly high on something/just not paying the blindest bit of attention to what actually goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Bit late I know, but congrats to all who got them!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

Fad wrote: »
    Doubt it, but your name was mentioned at the assembly yoke.

Ah cool, besta luck in the leaving anyway. Try to not get your graduation canceled by having a massive food fight, getting asked to leave the school and never come back, and in retaliation taking a 4th year and tying him in his boxers to the flag pole in Mt A.

Posting on boards, however, probably precludes you from starting any of the above!! :p

Ah cool, besta luck in the leaving anyway. Try to not get your graduation canceled by having a massive food fight, getting asked to leave the school and never come back, and in retaliation taking a 4th year and tying him in his boxers to the flag pole in Mt A.

Posting on boards, however, probably precludes you from starting any of the above!! :p

Hah, did Chizo (It was him, wasnt it?) ever really recover from that? :pac:

I was buying food in the canteen, looked to my left, saw a yohgurt sailing across the assembly hall, then all hell broke loose.......For that I commend you!

Ha, god. wasn't me... pfft, sausage maybe, yohgurt no way!

Well I haven't seen havoc on such a scale since then.

Maybe it was a large-ish carton of milk (Its all coming back now!).

so.. Wine commons on friday.. Anyone gonna head? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Piss off :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

And there I was thinking that a first year class rep would do none of those things.... :p

• Advertisement

sd123 wrote: »
    And there I was thinking that a first year class rep would do none of those things.... :p

Any good? Will it happen again?

It's sad that I'm still reading this thread right? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

No, so long as its not at 3.45 in the morning :p

Ye, there'll be more of them. Probably after the summer. We'll be sent an email.

It'l pretty much the same as normal commons except you are allowed to broig your own wine.. Although a bottle between 2 is probably easier since you only have 45 mins..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Hey guys, just a quick question.. does anyone know if the new Schols rules have any bearing on what year you do the exams in? Like I know most do it in SF year, but one could previously do it in JF or JS if they wished.. Looking at the website now though and it says: "Students in the Senior Freshman (second) year may compete for a foundation scholarship."

Does anyone know if that means first and third years have been completely ruled out of going for Schols?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Hm, I think it always said that?

Aoibheann wrote: »

Does anyone know if that means first and third years have been completely ruled out of going for Schols?

I highly, highly doubt it. There was no mention of even countenancing that in any of the schol review groups.

Hm, I think it always said that?
    I highly, highly doubt it. There was no mention of even countenancing that in any of the schol review groups.

That's what I figured guys, thanks a million! Was just speaking to.. someone who answered the phone in.. some department today.. :P And they weren't sure.

But anyway, *if* I do end up wandering towards Trinity and leaving my current course (highly likely), I am liable to spend the entire summer studying like a loon so I can go for schols in first year.. purely out of guilt for having to pay full first year fees. There's totally like a .. tiny, tiny chance I could get them. Maybe. And if not, hey, I'll know for second year!

Now to start pestering people I know for notes! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

My course head encouraged me to sit them next year. I'll be a 3rd year then.

\o/

I'd say it's probably just the whole thing where in general it's 2nd years that go for schols, but there can be exceptions.. Fingers crossed. Meeting a couple of lecturers tomorrow to see what my options are. I'll possibly be starting a TSM course in September, not entirely sure what I'll be taking (narrowed it down to 3 subjects, now to get rid of the pesky spare.. :D) but going to see if I can take schols (even though I'm aware they'll tell me it's borderline insanity) and get all the assistance I can if possible! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭-aboutagirl-

Are you going into first year of a course? If so, you may not be able to take the schols exams, for example in law there is no way a first year could take them because you simply won't have studied enough subjects and some of the exams are based on second year material. So you need to check with your dept.

Advertisement