Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

As of half an hour ago I'm attempting schols. I was intending on handing in the application form on Monday but fell ill. When I went in yesterday to see about late applications the nice girl at the desk said that there were rumors going around that they would extend the deadline. I got the impression that this was due to a lot of late applications coming in.

I also heard that a lot more people have signed up this year, even without the exemptions as an incentive. Can anyone confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

I can't confirm it, but anecdotally: last year there were about eight people at the English department's talk for Schols. This year there were thirty.

Also, I asked the Exams Office about two weeks ago, and they said the volume was about the same as last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭antiselfdual

I can't confirm it, but anecdotally: last year there were about eight people at the English department's talk for Schols. This year there were thirty.

Well last year the format of the exams was familiar and traditional. This year the format is completely different so naturally more people would feel more inclined to go to such a talk...

Good point, actually. I hadn't thought of that.

But are more or less people signing up? Enquiring minds want to know! :) Time to bug the Exams Office again....

Or just study. Nah, that's crazy talk.

I hate to bump threads, but this one's particularly useful, and Schols are (alas) getting ever closer.

Seriously, there has to be more people than this taking Schols this year, right? Right? I mean, I hear the numbers were actually pretty high! Are none of these people on Boards?

Oh, in an attempt at relevance: if you have signed up for Schols and wish to withdraw from them the deadline is this Friday (the 27th November), and you must call into the Examinations Office in West Theatre in person to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

Agh, I should probably withdraw, can't seem to motivate myself at all. Computer science taking up all my time too (curse you linked lists, curse you). I know there were/are a couple more engineers here who were/are doing it. The paper 2 coordinator has been really nice and sent out a list of topics, but nothing from paper 1 or 3 yet. I distinctly remember more schols-y talk here last year alright. There were plenty of people at that talk in october anyway.

It's strange, isn't it? I mean, I'm not surprised no-one in my year's doing it apart from me, as I'm in third year. But aren't there some second-year (or crazy first-years, I suppose) English and/or Psychology students who've signed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

A load of people in my class are signed up for it, I do believe. That said it IS TP. Got a sample paper for one subject yesterday, fml!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

A load of people in my class are signed up for it, I do believe. That said it IS TP. Got a sample paper for one subject yesterday, fml!

You're prospects of getting schols are grim, if you're procrastinating so much that you posted on boards!

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pocket aces

yeah, us engineers got some info today... doesnt look to nightmarish! here's hoping that the 3rd paper (electricity) helps balance out the horrible, horrible subject that is 2e3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

It doesn't look too horrible for the Engineering one alright, but I think I might give up. Having been seen for the last few weeks I'm now trying to catch up on a mountain of work, not to mention tackling those mountainous schols exams!

Btw pocket aces, SF Eng? I thought I had a face put to all the boardsies in our year?!

yeah, us engineers got some info today... doesnt look to nightmarish! here's hoping that the 3rd paper (electricity) helps balance out the horrible, horrible subject that is 2e3.
    Yeah it's got far more of a shape on it now (seems far closer and more real now too). Kinda worried about what 2e3 would be like as well. The syllabus description is vague enough to mean prettymuch everything we've done so far. And I hope the 2e2 bit at the top was a typo... if not, :eek:
    Seems like paper 3 is basically just 1e6 too, that's kinda strange (original email had 1e6, 1e9 and 2e8 down for paper 3, but I suppose they could still incorporate the other two into the topics).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Fad wrote: »
    You're prospects of getting schols are grim, if you're procrastinating so much that you posted on boards!

:P
    tbf posting on boards takes about 5 minutes. Pointlessly making up notes on subjects I already know, now that's a waste of time...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

tbf posting on boards takes about 5 minutes. Pointlessly making up notes on subjects I already know, now that's a waste of time...

I was trying to get at the fact that you never post anymore........

Anyone got any idea why they got rid of anonymous marking?

There has never been anonymous marking for Schols. What they're planning to do is introduce it in a year or two.

On the "venting" side: I have three essays due on December 16, Schol exams from January 11 to 15 ... and a 4000-word English essay due on January 22. Unreasonable? My tutor's response is "that's part of the challenge of Schols". They probably won't give me an extension beause I'm in third year - seems somewhat unfair to me, particularly since that policy is based on Schols tkaing place at Easter, not right after Christmas.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

TheAmateur wrote: »
    Anyone got any idea why they got rid of anonymous marking?

Schols never had anonymous marking.

What they're planning to do is introduce it in a year or two.
    oh. That must've been what I heard/read, but somehow I got it completely twisted. This is why I was never allowed to play chinese whispers...
    I have three essays due on December 16, Schol exams from January 11 to 15 ... and a 4000-word English essay due on January 22. Unreasonable? My tutor's response is "that's part of the challenge of Schols". They probably won't give me an extension beause I'm in third year - seems somewhat unfair to me, particularly since that policy is based on Schols tkaing place at Easter, not right after Christmas.
    That's pretty harsh. I'd say it's also become harder now to take schols in third year because of more first year material being examined. Seems like it'd be the case in engineering anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

Anyone have any idea when the BESS schols are???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Theyre all the same time.. Week of the 11th of Jan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

Nice one icon14.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭quirkster

Im not in a position to sit schols, and I went to withdraw but its too late. They said Id be marked absent. What does this mean? Will I not be allowed sit Schols again?

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dabh

quirkster wrote: »
    Im not in a position to sit schols, and I went to withdraw but its too late. They said Id be marked absent. What does this mean? Will I not be allowed sit Schols again?

Any suggestions?

AFAIK, this should have no real impact whatsoever. If you don't show up to the schol exams, you would find yourself (anonymously) listed as ABSENT on the list posted outside the Exam Hall when the results are announced, and that would be the end of the story. Such absences are not uncommon.

What dabh said, except I'd check with your department that you're not the only person sitting a particular paper. Because if so, the lecturer will be writing a paper just for a person who won't turn up. Worth avoiding that, if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭CJTobin

What dabh said, except I'd check with your department that you're not the only person sitting a particular paper. Because if so, the lecturer will be writing a paper just for a person who won't turn up. Worth avoiding that, if possible.

Definitely agree with this.

According to one of our lecturers, the only penalty for not sitting Schols you've signed up for is that your absence from them will be noted on your academic transcript. Should be a simple matter to explain to a potential employer, IMO.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I assume there will be more than one student sitting the BESS exams. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Jonathan wrote: »
    I assume there will be more than one student sitting the BESS exams. :P

Happened last year. Scruttocks (who used to post here) was the only person sitting the Logic schols exam

CJTobin wrote: »
    Definitely agree with this.

According to one of our lecturers, the only penalty for not sitting Schols you've signed up for is that your absence from them will be noted on your academic transcript. Should be a simple matter to explain to a potential employer, IMO.

Absence from Schols would not even be noted on the transcript, at least on those transcripts produced in my area. Disclaimer: layout of transcripts produced by departments may vary from department to department. The transcripts I am familiar with will generally note if a student was exempt as a result of the Scholarshp examination. (Well that won't happen from now onwards!) Maybe the transcript might be edited to note the award of a Scholarship. But, in my area, if a candidate does poorly in schols, or is absent, nothing appears on the transcript generated within the department.

As for the transcripts produced by Student Records: I haven't ever seen any of these, but I do note that the results of Scholarship exams don't appear in the list of exam results on the online student record, so it seems most unlikely that the busy people in Student Records would be adding them to transcripts.

Probably too late for this. By now, scholarship exam papers would already have been set, or would be in the process of being set. And the Exams Office would almost certainly be going through the roof if one of the papers on their list was not supplied by the department on the grounds that some candidate had allegedly 'said' that he or she didn't after all intend to sit the examination.

I suspect the most the examiner could hope would be that, in the event of no candidates showing up of a particular paper, the paper could subsequently be intercepted to make sure that it doesn't subsequently go up on the website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 comp

Regarding someone's question earlier, yes there's a big increase this year. I was one of the last to register for schols and the girl on the desk said over 700 had applied compared to normally 450/500.

I have only started studying really in the past week for the BESS exams in Business and Politics, does anyone know if I've given myself enough time or will it be a disaster considering there's only a month to go? Will I cover enough material with a hectic study schedule?

Advertisement