Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Monday exam on Friday now, worked out well for TP, less so for Maths... they've two exams in a row now, unpleasant!

Anyway good luck to everyone tomorrow/this week! Here's hoping all the study pays off...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

After looking through this thread, it seems like you're the only one determined/insane enough to be going for schols for a second time!
    Good luck!

Sadly this is true. Thanks! Shane O'Mara's notes are actually incomprehensible and have no bearing on the questions he sets - I can't be the only one who just prepared a bunch of past questions from primary sources, right? ...Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Sadly this is true. Thanks! Shane O'Mara's notes are actually incomprehensible and have no bearing on the questions he sets - I can't be the only one who just prepared a bunch of past questions from primary sources, right? ...Right?

I think you're the only person on boards going for it for the second time this year, but from what I've heard every 68 and 69 that ever was thinking about resitting this year due to the new format.

Best of luck to everyone, and wear LOTS of clothes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

There's always a chance he'll set the exact same questions as he did last year.

Liquorice wrote: »
    There's always a chance he'll set the exact same questions as he did last year.

And it turns out he did! Well, kinda. Technically he repeated the 05, 06, 07 and 08 papers. It was only last year he put out an entirely new paper and screwed everyone over. :)

Anyway, I had the questions prepared and sailed through it. Hurrah! English Paper 1 was also good. Now I just need to cram for bloody Developmental Psychology tomorrow...

• Advertisement

So after spending many many hours learning all of the possible Mechanics questions and expecting to do most of my questions in Mechanics, I ended up doing more Methods, which I spent a tiny fraction of my time on.

Hm. Oh well.

Here's hoping physics is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭CaramelBear

Genetics questions = fantastic. Sailed right through 'em. Evolution, not so much. Esepcially with a freshly sprained knee - who knows how I managed it? Very nice invigilator - carried me over to the bench and helped me rest...

Biochemistry is going to be a killer... McKillen loves not telling us what the compulsory question is about! >=/

Aaand finished! I'm really proud of how I did - don't know if I got it, but I'm happy no matter what. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Monday exam on Friday now, worked out well for TP, less so for Maths... they've two exams in a row now, unpleasant!

Did you see Donal O'Donovan's email? He seems less than happy with the situation.

fh041205 wrote: »
    Did you see Donal O'Donovan's email? He seems less than happy with the situation.
    Hm, I didn't get any email from him. Did he send it to Maths students only? What did he say? I mean, it's kinda a bit late to do anything about it now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Hm, I didn't get any email from him. Did he send it to Maths students only? What did he say? I mean, it's kinda a bit late to do anything about it now...

He was unhappy with maths students having 2 of 3 exams on the same day. And even more unhappy that Richard Timoneys strong objections had fallen on deaf ears. The College had no contingency plan in the event of an exam postponment.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭gaeilgeboy

Ha, I knew Donal only sent it to the third years! He sent the following:

"Students taking Schol this year have been presented with a particularly difficult task, in having the deferred monday exam take place on friday afternoon, with another exam on friday morning. This means that two thirds of the Schol Exams are on the one day. Professor Timoney objected strongly, but to no avail.

Students should do their best, and be aware that examiners will bear in mind the difficulties that students have faced.

It is clear that College did not have proper contingency plans in place."

Somewhat reassuring, I guess.

Yeah, that was really horrible for them.

In other news, yeeeeeeees I'm finished. Now for the agonising 3 months of waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Yeah, that was really horrible for them.

In other news, yeeeeeeees I'm finished. Now for the agonising 3 months of waiting.

3 months really! what date does the whole ceremony shindig go down?

Bajingo wrote: »
    5th of April I think? Trinity Monday whenever it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dabh

gaeilgeboy wrote: »
    Ha, I knew Donal only sent it to the third years! He sent the following:

The email I got was sent to SF (single-honor) maths and maths staff. He may not have anticipated that the contents would show up on boards! If he had allowed for that possibility...

I wouldn't expect that someone in Front Square would be following traffic on boards, but you can never be certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭gaeilgeboy

Bajingo wrote: »

It's the 12th of April, given here: http://www.tcd.ie/calendar/college-events/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

dabh wrote: »
    The email I got was sent to SF (single-honor) maths and maths staff. He may not have anticipated that the contents would show up on boards! If he had allowed for that possibility...

I wouldn't expect that someone in Front Square would be following traffic on boards, but you can never be certain.

Oh the innoncence. Sure the JD checks in ever so often and most of TNs stories break here first. Boardsies know everything. FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dabh

Oh the innoncence. Sure the JD checks in ever so often and most of TNs stories break here first. Boardsies know everything. FACT

Failure of communication. 'Front Square' being intended as shorthand for the southern range, and most definitely not including House 6!

Has anyone gotten that mysterious phone call from your School/Department about Schol?

...I'm living in hope. And fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

A source tells me that 18 out of 47 got it in medicine.

Guess if I haven't been called by now, I'm not going to be...

**** it, I'll be there on Monday anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Has anyone gotten that mysterious phone call from your School/Department about Schol?

...I'm living in hope. And fear.

A friend of mine got a call, but I don't know who because the friend who told me won't tell me who got it. So yes, the calls have gone out, but don't take this as gospel because I only heard it second hand and can't confirm myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Unless you know your dept makes phone calls, don't (dis)count your chickens just yet... not all of them notify students in advance.

eta: unless this is part of new protocol for new!Schols?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭antiselfdual

Kwekubo wrote: »
    A source tells me that 18 out of 47 got it in medicine.

And I think I remember it being 15 last year, that's insane. 47 is the number of people who sat the exam? How many people are actually in an average year in Medicine?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

claire h wrote: »
    Unless you know your dept makes phone calls, don't (dis)count your chickens just yet... not all of them notify students in advance.

Mmmmm... discount chicken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 poppy90

how does monday work if you get schols? who goes to the dinner in the evening is it just scholars fellows etc or do guests go? how much of the day is spent doing official stuff?

claire h wrote: »

True. I know one of my departments does, but I'm TSM and it's entirely possible that they handle things differently for "their" students. Plus with new Schols, it's probably confusing everyone.

I'm "keeping hope alive" for Monday at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

True. I know one of my departments does, but I'm TSM and it's entirely possible that they handle things differently for "their" students. Plus with new Schols, it's probably confusing everyone.

I'm "keeping hope alive" for Monday at least.

Who told you that they call? As far as I know no-one in either got a call last year; I certainly didn't. Unless they started calling this year? Seriously, don't worry. I think only courses involving economics call ahead of time because they have a reception and need to have formal clothes with them on the day. Everyone else has integrity and makes their students suffer!
    poppy90 wrote: »
    how does monday work if you get schols? who goes to the dinner in the evening is it just scholars fellows etc or do guests go? how much of the day is spent doing official stuff?

All day is spent doing official stuff; there are a few spurts of free time but not many. That said, the official stuff isn't obligatory for the most part but it is worth doing.

The official events last year (and presumably every year) were a religious ceremony, a talk, a garden party in the Provost's, a fellows vs scholars marbles match, tea and sandwiches with the scholars' committee in the GMB and, after a few hours off to get changed and so on, an official photograph followed by the banquet. It's just scholars and fellows at the meal, and also scholars of the decade (everyone who got schols in a year ending in a particular number, so this year it'll be 1930,40,50 and so on).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 poppy90

Liquorice wrote: »

All day is spent doing official stuff; there are a few spurts of free time but not many. That said, the official stuff isn't obligatory for the most part but it is worth doing.

The official events last year (and presumably every year) were a religious ceremony, a talk, a garden party in the Provost's, a fellows vs scholars marbles match, tea and sandwiches with the scholars' committee in the GMB and, after a few hours off to get changed and so on, an official photograph followed by the banquet. It's just scholars and fellows at the meal, and also scholars of the decade (everyone who got schols in a year ending in a particular number, so this year it'll be 1930,40,50 and so on).

Thanks a mil for the info. Fingers crossed for monday so! Does the calling out take long? Sounds like it could be a painful wait for courses at the end of the alphabet!

Advertisement