Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭blagards

gaeilgeboy wrote: »
    I think about 10 or so people started it? Not 100%, though.

Hey, Theoretical Physics is a course in the School of Mathematics and the School of Physics! I still see it as another win for Maths ...
    im in tp and didnt do schols but i reckon it was way more than 10. was talking to my mate yesterday and we estimated 25 but that could be way out given your estimate was so low. but id almost certainly say it was more than 10

ediit : for some reason this has been posted twice. dont know why, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭antiselfdual

I still see it as another win for Maths ...

Those Arts students never stood a chance, yeah. I see that some of Josh's arrogance may have transferred over to you somehow...

Edit: in case it's relevant in my TP class (two years back) about 15-18 people did Schols, 8 got exemptions (them were the days), 6 got Schols.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I think about 10 or so people started it? Not 100%, though.

Cool, just trying to get an idea of numbers. It'd obviously vary from year to year though so I don't know why I'm asking!
    Hey, Theoretical Physics is a course in the School of Mathematics and the School of Physics! I still see it as another win for Maths ...

Yeah yeah.. You *would* say that.. :P It's 1/3 of a win for physics too y'know!

And 25 of the TP class sitting Schols?! Sure there's probably barely more than that even left in the class at this point! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭gaeilgeboy

I see that some of Josh's arrogance may have transferred over to you somehow...

Ha, Mathsoc and Scholar arrogance never dies, it just moves on to some unsuspecting other ...
    Aoibheann wrote: »
    And 25 of the TP class sitting Schols?! Sure there's probably barely more than that even left in the class at this point! :pac:
    I imagine a fair few people started it, but didn't continue. When I did it last year, about 15-20 people started exams, but a lot of people dropped out.

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Cool, just trying to get an idea of numbers. It'd obviously vary from year to year though so I don't know why I'm asking!

Yeah yeah.. You *would* say that.. :P It's 1/3 of a win for physics too y'know!

there wasnt too many who didnt go for it, i signed up but decided early on i didnt have time to study for them what with training (and eating:pac:) and the like so i just didnt show up for any of the exams there was a few more like that but not too many. when i was talking to my mate yesterday we could only list about 5 who DIDNT do schols.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭desertstorm

News just in!!

While one TP got Toronto scholar, my friend the other TP was 2% behind her he just found out today
    :eek::eek::eek:
    Brains sloshing around that department

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

News just in!!

While one TP got Toronto scholar, my friend the other TP was 2% behind her he just found out today
    :eek::eek::eek:
    Brains sloshing around that department

TP/Maths are probably the easiest courses to get exceptionally high marks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

It seemed like loads of people in TP were taking schols, definitely at least 10 anyway, but I'm not sure how many stayed til the end/took it particularly seriously. That said we were all surprised only 2 people got it, it seemed like a lot of people had good chances.

And yeah it was pretty close between the two TP scholars, which is sort of weird because there was a pretty significant gap between him and the next person in the class (deducing this from the fact that they didn't get schols).

It seemed like loads of people in TP were taking schols, definitely at least 10 anyway, but I'm not sure how many stayed til the end/took it particularly seriously. That said we were all surprised only 2 people got it, it seemed like a lot of people had good chances.

And yeah it was pretty close between the two TP scholars, which is sort of weird because there was a pretty significant gap between him and the next person in the class (deducing this from the fact that they didn't get schols).
    as i said way more than 10, was talking to my mate who did schols yesterday (didnt get it) and he said he checked some thing which gives the ranking of everyone in the class or something and there was at least 20, but a few of them (like me) prob didnt do them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I know it's been asked before, but what is the Toronto Scholar?

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    I know it's been asked before, but what is the Toronto Scholar?
    It's a prize given to the person who gets the highest overall marks in the scholarship exams. As with any prize in Trinity, information about it is thin on the ground.

It's a prize given to the person who gets the highest overall marks in the scholarship exams. As with any prize in Trinity, information about it is thin on the ground.

I know the people who get the awards are named (along with all the other Scholars and Fellows) in the minutes of the Board meeting that happens in the Exam Hall on Trinity Monday. Those minutes are online.

Also online in the calendar is the description of a fair amount of the awards Trinity gives to students - The Toronto prize included.

The winners of the awards are listed along with all the results outside the exam hall as well.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    The winners of the awards are listed along with all the results outside the exam hall as well.

Not this year, surprisingly. I remember last year they had the student numbers, but I didn't see anywhere on the board the list of awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

I think it would be in the same margin where it says "Foundation" or "Non-Foundation" beside the Scholars' names.

Would be, but wasn't, oddly enough... They changed it this year anyway though, didn't tell people their precise mark.

I think it would be in the same margin where it says "Foundation" or "Non-Foundation" beside the Scholars' names.

In my day all the major awards were listed separately at bottom of the list.
    They changed it this year anyway though, didn't tell people their precise mark.

Are you sure they just haven't told you yet? We only got our breakdown later on - admittedly it was later that day I think though.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Are you sure they just haven't told you yet? We only got our breakdown later on - admittedly it was later that day I think though.
    Well, we found out from the maths department on Tuesday by going in and asking. I'm not sure if they're going to email out as well, or anything though. The list at the exam hall just had first, second etc. though, and the rank in the class. I believe (?) it was a percentage in previous years.

Well, we found out from the maths department on Tuesday by going in and asking. I'm not sure if they're going to email out as well, or anything though. The list at the exam hall just had first, second etc. though, and the rank in the class. I believe (?) it was a percentage in previous years.

Nah, it's only ever been grades on the list outside the exam hall. The percentages and breakdowns used to be put up on departmental noticeboards later on in the day.

Still not giving percentages. The noticeboard just told me my overall grade class, but my departmental noticeboard simple gave me the degree class in each subject, and the class they averaged to. Still no exam/percentage breakdown. Maybe this differs from faculty to faculty, or perhaps it's part of the new!schols policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I also did schol this year, and to confirm what the others have said the departments seem particularly slow/reluctant to give out breakdowns this year. In previous years I know people who got it at 10.30 Trinity Monday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

Quick question, my course is a new course (Law and Political science) so I'm kind of confused regarding what modules we'd be examined on in the schols exam. I tried looking at past schols papers for law and courses like history & politics but we study the political science (x3) modules all year round and law ones (x3) are only a semester long. Does that mean our exam would be the 6 first year modules and whatever modules we have during Michealmas term?

I'd e-mail my tutor but I think its a bit presumptuous seeing as I don't know the results for my end of year exams yet, just wondering so I can purge my notes and get rid of anything I dont need!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Gladiator.

What percentage does one have to score to be successful in schols ?

Nicola, the Examinations and Timetables Office should be releasing a subject/paper breakdown for every course in the autumn, like they did this year. It'll be available at http://www.tcd.ie/vp-cao/teo/vpteolinks.php under "Courses/Exam Codes and Titles of Exam Papers". I'd get in touch, not with your tutor, but with the course head. It's not really that presumptuous, anyone planning to do Schols usually has an idea by the end of first year that they'd want to work toward them. And getting in some early prep (even knowing what subjects are covered) can make a big difference.
    Gladiator. wrote: »
    What percentage does one have to score to be successful in schols ?

Seventy. That's an average across all your papers, but you can't fail any and still get Schol. (Three 100s and one 20 does give an 80% average, but no Schol!) If you do TSM, they're averaged for each subject, and you need at least a First (70% and up) in one subject, and a II.1 (60% and up) or better in the other, with your overall grade being 70% or higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

I'd like to get a start over the summer but now nobody really knows if they'll be in January or March, which would probably effect the amount of 2nd year material examined. Really hope its January again.

I'd like to get a start over the summer but now nobody really knows if they'll be in January or March, which would probably effect the amount of 2nd year material examined. Really hope its January again.
    Well, if you cover material up to January over the summer, it's win-win? (That said, I told myself I'd do stuff over the summer for schols and I did nothing at all, but it can't hurt to try.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

Well, if you cover material up to January over the summer, it's win-win? (That said, I told myself I'd do stuff over the summer for schols and I did nothing at all, but it can't hurt to try.)

True, but based on 2010 subject choice, I could have done 3 subjects out of 4 from 1st year, and just 1 2nd year. I'm guessing they'll reduce the number of options from 1st year if it's in March. Ah well, I'll get a bit done anyway. The upside of unemployment.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stesh

What's the story with this January/March ambiguity? Whence did it arise? :)

I'm not sure I'd agree that it being in January is necessarily a good thing...

stesh wrote: »
    What's the story with this January/March ambiguity? Whence did it arise? :)

I'm not sure I'd agree that it being in January is necessarily a good thing...
    Well, it was January last year, but there was talk of rejigging the semesters some more, which would involve there being an additional week off half-way through the second semester (one week for "reading week", one week for "holiday week" I think), and that schols might take place then (so March).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Nicola, the Examinations and Timetables Office should be releasing a subject/paper breakdown for every course in the autumn, like they did this year. It'll be available at http://www.tcd.ie/vp-cao/teo/vpteolinks.php under "Courses/Exam Codes and Titles of Exam Papers". I'd get in touch, not with your tutor, but with the course head. It's not really that presumptuous, anyone planning to do Schols usually has an idea by the end of first year that they'd want to work toward them. And getting in some early prep (even knowing what subjects are covered) can make a big difference.

Soooo.... I'm thinking of going for it. :o So you suggest contacting the head of department for advice or what topics are covered?

Is there a chance they will bring back the exemptions?

Advertisement