Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

So the schols exam generally is all first year material and then all the modules of the Michaelmas term of second year? :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Larianne wrote: »
    Is there a chance they will bring back the exemptions?

It's unlikely. There are problems with the ECTS system and exemptions, not to mention that a lot of lecturers just plain don't like the idea. Removing them was a fairly popular consensus in the schols review.
    So the schols exam generally is all first year material and then all the modules of the Michaelmas term of second year?

Hard to know if they change the time of year again. Before semesterization it was largely based on second year material only (though it depended somewhat on the course). Last year I believe it was based on 1st year and Michaelmas material from second year, and the papers were less closely related to end of year exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

/bump

Planning on sitting the Chemistry and both Biology papers this year. I was just wondering how people went about studying for schols in general, would reading every recommended text ever be the right approach or rather doing as many past paper questions as possible be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pocket aces

Personally, I spent the first month or two improving my notes from 1st year and making notes for 2nd year, using the reccommended texts to make I wasn't leaving anything out. Then in Dec/Jan I went through the past papers from the last few years and the sample paper we were given last year, and just kept rewriting my notes (I can't learn anything by reading). Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I spent most of my time making improved notes on all my courses, which involved doing additional/recommended (of which there is little in maths) reading. I imagine it depends on your course though. I've heard that in science they expect you to do a lot of additional reading, whereas in TP you can get away focusing solely on things covered in class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pocket aces

I've heard that in science they expect you to do a lot of additional reading, whereas in TP you can get away focusing solely on things covered in class.

same goes for engineering, we had very little additional reading to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

In the humanities there is a metric ton of additional reading expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Craguls wrote: »
    /bump

Planning on sitting the Chemistry and both Biology papers this year. I was just wondering how people went about studying for schols in general, would reading every recommended text ever be the right approach or rather doing as many past paper questions as possible be better?
    Lecturer's notes >> recommended text, from personal experience.

Getting a good and large set of past questions (this IMO is better than rewriting your notes) immaculately answered and saved will serve you well. An exam tests your ability to answer exam questions, perfect practice makes perfect.

Tutorial questions work well too.

To each their own though, learning is individual dependent that's what worked for me in those exams (physics and maths in natural science).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Just out of interest, say if you have done an past exam question, would a lecturer mind if you mailed it to them and asked them to point you in the right direction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭REPSOC1916

Jammyc wrote: »
    Just out of interest, say if you have done an past exam question, would a lecturer mind if you mailed it to them and asked them to point you in the right direction?

Really depends on the lecturer. Some of them wouldn't mind at all and would be quite happy, others wouldnt even dignify you with a reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Jammyc wrote: »
    I'd suggest going to see them (or emailing them to ask when is a good time to pop in) over emailing them the question itself. You'll get more out of it, it requires less of their time and you're likely to get what you want without just bugging the lecturer. Most I've found are quite happy to give you 5 mins to correct a question and show you how you should have answered it.

Also that's a really good idea... wish I'd started doing it earlier. What I had anticipated would be my best paper in schols ended up being my 2nd worst. Maths paper... I didn't answer them the way he wanted, i.e. step by step proof etc. Instead skipped bits I could do in my head (which you're encouraged to do in physics). It was suggested I could have learned bits of them verbatim (if only I had a memory like that). If I'd brought up a question to him and asked him to mark it I would have had a much better idea of what he wanted and likely done a good bit better in that paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Just emailed asking for the recommended texts. ****'s gotten real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Sugarglass

Craguls wrote: »
    Just emailed asking for the recommended texts. ****'s gotten real.

Hey, just wondering who you emailed about this, I'm not sure who to contact the science office or the lecturer's or what? Just a little lost:o. Help please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tmdowling

hey all, just wondering can postgrad students apply for schols? Starting a postgrad hdip in psychology at the end of sept. its only a 2year course but plan on doin a masters after.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not on the H Dip Psych, no. Unless things have changed since I did that course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tmdowling

finally someone who has done the course!! what the course like? any advice?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It will keep you very busy and can be fairly chaotic. Make sure you keep up with the work. It's changed a bit since I did it, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm only just starting next month, but after reading this thread(in part) I mentioned it to somebody on Facebook. If you can get it it seems like a pretty worthwhile thing to do. That said a few of my friends were pretty pessimistic about it. Has anyone done the exam for Computer Science? Just how hard is it?[Read: how much extra work did you have to do?].

Thanks,
    Lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Pity i didn't find this thread when i was doing them last year! i have to say if you think you've any chance it's definitely worth doing. It has literally set me up for 3rd and 4th year work-wise. Ok, i actually missed out, damn physiology, but i don't regret it. The potential pay off is worth putting the time in.

and i found my lecturers to be very helpful in terms of suggested reading, looking over stuff for me, but every faculty is different

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Got my suggested reading today. Eeek! What am I at?!?! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Hrmm, I wonder if I'll actually need any extra suggested reading type stuff. Hoping there's not *too* much for TPs, I doubt there can be really. Now to email the million lecturers I have..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Hrmm, I wonder if I'll actually need any extra suggested reading type stuff. Hoping there's not *too* much for TPs, I doubt there can be really. Now to email the million lecturers I have..

We've a special topic with ours so have too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Ouch! What's it on? As far as I can tell, my exams are pretty much entirely based on SF material, besides one section (of five) in the physics paper which seems to be "general" physics - looks like JF material there mainly. I can live with that. Physics looks like being a reasonable paper - though I'll probably regret saying that. >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Does anyone definitely know when they're on? I've heard so many conflicting dates.

Fringe wrote: »
    Does anyone definitely know when they're on? I've heard so many conflicting dates.

Think it was posted earlier but according to the Examinations and Timetables Office
    Foundation Scholarship Examinations 2011
    Monday 10 January to Friday 14 January 2011*
    Candidates for the Foundation Scholarship examinations should submit a completed application form to the Examinations Office, West Theatre between 1 and 15 November 2010 inclusive. Notice is required of intention to sit Foundation Scholarship examinations.
    *It may be necessary to hold some Foundation Scholarship examinations beginning 4 January 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Ouch! What's it on? As far as I can tell, my exams are pretty much entirely based on SF material, besides one section (of five) in the physics paper which seems to be "general" physics - looks like JF material there mainly. I can live with that. Physics looks like being a reasonable paper - though I'll probably regret saying that. >_<

I actually think the special topic is brilliant, if i understand it correctly you have it all prepared before hand, so no panic on the day. It's actually a much better way of testing how rounded your knowledge of a subject is [probably not suitable for TP!!!]

my subjects [2 years ago] were 2 SF, and the other 2 were a mix of both, with a lot of outside reading. But i like that. :nerd:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭REPSOC1916

Anyone got the 2010 Pharmacy Schols Papers? They're not online and they've changed the SF course so the older papers aren't that useful.

REPSOC1916 wrote: »
    Anyone got the 2010 Pharmacy Schols Papers? They're not online and they've changed the SF course so the older papers aren't that useful.
    I'm pretty sure none of the 2010 papers are online yet. They'd be up soon, I'd imagine (hope) though.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

Is there anything to be said about computer science schols? What kind of standard is expected and how beneficial is the extra work for the rest of the year? Sorry if this was explained in any of the previous 67 pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tehjimmeh

Got CS schols 2 years ago.

The format has changed since semesterisation, and the papers from this year aren't up on the past exam papers site yet, but it's not radically different, and the papers from before then should give some indication of the standard.

You really want to have gotten a first or high 2.1 in first year and you have to be willing to commit to it. It's not something you can just do a little extra work on the side and then show up to exams for. You've also got to be adept at working alone, as it's likely that very few will go for it.

The rewards are well, well worth it though.

And even if you don't get it, I don't think doing the exams would be an altogether futile experience. You have nothing to lose by sitting an exam and it will stand to you.

Advertisement