Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Ah, so it turns out anyone can sit Schols for Medicine, regardless of what they got in 1st year, but 1st year written exam marks count as about one third of the Schol exam.

Feck that then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Sugarglass

Hey, somebody told me there's a meeting in the arts block tonight about the schols. i won't be able to make it so if anyone goes can they post whatever was talked about here. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Sugarglass wrote: »
    Hey, somebody told me there's a meeting in the arts block tonight about the schols. i won't be able to make it so if anyone goes can they post whatever was talked about here. Cheers.

The presentation should go up on the Scholars website.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭green909

Dont suppose anyone here was at the law schols talk just wondering how the subject choice for the exams has worked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Studying is just not happening at the moment. And I swear, will people stop asking me if I'm doing Schol, if I've started studying, what am I studying? FOOOOOOOk OFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Larianne wrote: »
    Studying is just not happening at the moment. And I swear, will people stop asking me if I'm doing Schol, if I've started studying, what am I studying? FOOOOOOOk OFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you haven't started studying then? When will you be starting? Any pointers for the rest of us?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

yeh people asking about it is definitely the worst. Makes you feel even more guilty if you've not been sleeping in the library!

I probably should just ask in the Library, but I haven't been able to register yet, is there some way around that to still use the library?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Meh...just ignore them. Some people study for months on end for schols, some study for a week. The only person who knows how much you need to do is yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I think I started studying sometime in middish October. This worked out well though, as I was incapacitated due to illness for the 2 weeks before the exams (I spent Christmas day in a delirious haze in bed :( ).

...So have you started studying yet?

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

Yeah I started last week. At the moment though I'm just going over lecture notes, revising stuff from last year and looking over a few research papers. Easing myself into it.

I've already got the whole "You're gonna burn yourself out!" as well from friends.

I think I'll just stop talking to people. End of.:cool:

amacachi wrote: »
    So you haven't started studying then? When will you be starting? Any pointers for the rest of us?

:pac:

I'm gonna trip you up in the Hammo one day!

I'm gonna trip you up in the Hammo one day!

Don't do it near the stairs, me falling down them would be like a scene from Indiana Jones.

Don't do it near the stairs, me falling down them would be like a scene from Indiana Jones.

Well then, I might just run up to you and steal your book from behind. Ha!

Well then, I might just run up to you and steal your book from behind. Ha!

I don't have any books yet! ^____^ I knew being poor would come in handy soon!

I don't have any books yet! ^____^ I knew being poor would come in handy soon!

Were you not reading a book the other day sitting out in the corridor in the Hammo?? If not, I'm totally stalking the wrong guy. Damn it. :cool:

Were you not reading a book the other day sitting out in the corridor in the Hammo?? If not, I'm totally stalking the wrong guy. Damn it. :cool:

Oh, thought you meant educational books, forgot about my summer splurge on Amazon. :P
    Also I hate when people know who I am and I don't know them. I wouldn't follow me around a corner too quickly from now on. :pac:

Oh, thought you meant educational books, forgot about my summer splurge on Amazon. :P
    Also I hate when people know who I am and I don't know them. I wouldn't follow me around a corner too quickly from now on. :pac:

I'll have to give up my stalking time for this Schol malark. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

green909 wrote: »
    Dont suppose anyone here was at the law schols talk just wondering how the subject choice for the exams has worked out?
    LLB STUDENTS (PURE LAW)
    STRUCTURE OF EXAMS

Foundation Scholarship Examinations January 2011

• Examinations consist of three 3-hour papers, to amount to nine hours of examinations in total.

• Students sitting Schol are required to prepare for six modules out of the nine Freshman modules they will have covered.

The papers are as follows:

Paper I Tort, Contract, Land Law, General question
    Paper II Constitutional I, Criminal Law, Irish Legal System, General question
    Paper III Constitutional II, Equity, Legislation and Statutory Regulation, General question

Each paper will last three hours, and consist of four parts.
    Students must answer FOUR questions on each paper.

The first three parts will consist of the three modules as outlined above. Students must answer questions from any two of the first three parts. There will be four questions in each of the first three parts, and (subject to the following paragraph) students must answer two questions in respect of each part. The questions for each of the first three parts will be set by the lecturers in the relevant modules.

The fourth part of each paper will consist of a general question (set by a lecturer not otherwise involved in the scholarship examinations) and the students will have the right to answer this general question in substitution for one of the other four questions.

If you're registered for Lawnotes on the webcourse, it's all there. I just assumed you're doing the LL.B, if you're doing Law and French/German/Business/Political Science, the relevant information is in that document. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

In case anyone hasn't seen it in the SU email/online and might be interested, the Student Economic Review will be hosting a schols workshop/talk for Economics, Politics, Philosophy, Business and Sociology students tomorrow night at 7.30 in the Thomas Davis Theatre.

It was a huge help studying last year and hopefully should be more of the same this year - greater insight into the different exams, what areas to study, etc. etc. Be sure to come along if you're thinking of sitting the exams in any of these subjects!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Did the deed today, signed up. productivity, however, remains the same-Low.

The depression has already crept in with me.

Must get the forms tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I keep meaning to start the whole working thing.. >_< Happily enough, I'm very organised so I won't let myself get distracted with sorting things into folders etc.

Must remember to sign up this week. *writes notes on hand*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I'm still very much on the fence about this. I do want to, but I dont! AHH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭REPSOC1916

Any pharmers yet decided to take the plunge.

I'm signing up tomorrow. God give me strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Think I'll start studying this week... Any TPs/maths/physics people wanna give some advice? From what I've gathered so far, learn all the theorems for Geometry, do all the questions in Finn for thermodynamics and for Mechanics, go through every exam paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭gaeilgeboy

Fringe wrote: »
    Think I'll start studying this week... Any TPs/maths/physics people wanna give some advice? From what I've gathered so far, learn all the theorems for Geometry, do all the questions in Finn for thermodynamics and for Mechanics, go through every exam paper.

There's some good notes on the Mathsoc wiki page (http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~mathsoc/wiki) from previous students. You may have to search a bit, I haven't updated all the page names to the new semesterised codes.

Failing that, there's some excellent notes online (http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~cblair) from a former Toronto Scholar who did TP. It includes a Geometry Sample Exam Generator.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

It begins..

Well, tidying up notes/re-writing things in your own words counts, doesn't it? And glancing over Methods TOTALLY counts. It's a real subject, right? ¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Fringe wrote: »
    Geometry: go through past papers if you're so inclined, he only ever asks certain questions. Otherwise, know all the theorems (inverse function theorem, implicit function theorem, yay!) and definitions (some in particular get asked frequently), and some of the exercises.
    Mechanics: well, I just did out solutions to all of the problems on the "list of scholarship problems", but you can be sneaky and look at past papers and only learn some of the problems, if you want.

For physics I mostly just knew all the derivations/definitions/properties and winged doing actual problems on the day. I'm not sure if that's advisable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭antiselfdual

gaeilgeboy wrote: »
    There's some good notes on the Mathsoc wiki page (http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~mathsoc/wiki) from previous students. You may have to search a bit, I haven't updated all the page names to the new semesterised codes.

I was going to berate you for not updating the wiki fast enough before I remembered I didn't do that for an entire year...
    Aoibheann wrote: »
    Well, tidying up notes/re-writing things in your own words counts, doesn't it?

It counts double if you LaTeX them. As for methods, just do the problem sheets and past papers and you'll be fine? Glancing over << doing problems. (In fact my general Schols advice is just to rewrite notes, then solve all problem sheets and past papers, then solve them again. Enough time has passed since I did the exams that this feels completely trivial to me which is amusing and worrying...)

Advertisement