Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Looks like I'm going to half to shelf these due to health problems.

Oh well, always next year if I'm really set. Best of luck to everyone else.

Now to salvage second year.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

Fringe wrote: »
    Think I'll start studying this week... Any TPs/maths/physics people wanna give some advice? From what I've gathered so far, learn all the theorems for Geometry, do all the questions in Finn for thermodynamics and for Mechanics, go through every exam paper.

For maths anyway, it's all about the past papers. Geometry, methods, linear etc. are all predictable enough.

@Craguls: Sorry to hear that :( Hope you're ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Craguls wrote: »

Get well soon!!

Always next year! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭gaeilgeboy

rjt wrote: »
    @Craguls: Sorry to hear that :( Hope you're ok.

Seconded!! :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 18 HideAndSeek23

I missed that big talk on the business and economics papers, anyone attend and get any info on it? Or anyone got any advice for business and economics papers in general?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Hey,

Is anyone else doing Schols with languages? I've got two... Currently filling in the form but I can't find any exam code for the orals... I know from the department websites that there is an oral exam, but does anyone know how we apply for it? It is just part of Language Competence?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭gaeilgeboy

I was going to berate you for not updating the wiki fast enough before I remembered I didn't do that for an entire year...

I'm sure I'll get around to it. Hey, I'm documenting the entire website, I'm being a good Webmaster! (It's an official position now, btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

I missed that big talk on the business and economics papers, anyone attend and get any info on it? Or anyone got any advice for business and economics papers in general?? :D

If you wanna PM me your tcd email I can send you the slides, if you'd like? I have them saved on the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

Craguls wrote: »

:(

Hope you get well soon. Like you said there's always next year. :)

Anyone like to give me some motivation to study? Totally lost it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

Larianne wrote: »
    Anyone like to give me some motivation to study? Totally lost it. :(

Fewd.

I'm doing schols for the wrong reasons...

boblong wrote: »
    Fewd.

I'm doing schols for the wrong reasons...

Ha! Apparently commons gets tiresome really quickly. That and the uber nerds you have to share it with.

I just want it for the accommodation. Must keep telling myself that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Larianne wrote: »
    Ha! Apparently commons gets tiresome really quickly. That and the uber nerds you have to share it with.

I just want it for the accommodation. Must keep telling myself that!
    what are you talking about... free evening meals? worth more to me than accommodation!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Reasons to study:

Waking up and looking out at the virgin snow on New Square was pretty deadly this morning.

Waking up 10 minutes before a lecture starts and not missing it.

Free dinner every day. Free three course dinner, for that matter. "Sigh, black forest gateaux again? Life is so hard for us scholars..." Also, this free dinner thing is amazing when you're too busy to go shopping/cook for yourself. Regarding commons getting tiresome, there is a reasonable amount of repetition, and I don't like all of the dishes they serve, but the company is good and it's just so damn handy...

Being able to pop home for lunch/to get things whenever.

No commuting, and no taxis if you're going out at night in the city centre.

Reasons to study:

Waking up and looking out at the virgin snow on New Square was pretty deadly this morning.

Waking up 10 minutes before a lecture starts and not missing it.

Free dinner every day. Free three course dinner, for that matter. "Sigh, black forest gateaux again? Life is so hard for us scholars..." Also, this free dinner thing is amazing when you're too busy to go shopping/cook for yourself. Regarding commons getting tiresome, there is a reasonable amount of repetition, and I don't like all of the dishes they serve, but the company is good and it's just so damn handy...

Being able to pop home for lunch/to get things whenever.

No commuting, and no taxis if you're going out at night in the city centre.

I think I may print this out and stick it all around the place!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

any law scholars on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Forgot to post when I saw them. Timetables are up. At least the one for Science was on Friday.

10th and 12th for me. EEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Just saw the numbers, might give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Monday, Wednesday (both mornings) and Thursday (afternoon) for me. Could be worse. Maths have Monday, Wednesday and Friday (mornings), so I'm a tad jealous... Oh well, I'll be happy to be finished a bit earlier I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Monday, Wednesday (both mornings) and Thursday (afternoon) for me. Could be worse. Maths have Monday, Wednesday and Friday (mornings), so I'm a tad jealous... Oh well, I'll be happy to be finished a bit earlier I guess!
    Hm, exactly the same as it was last year/technically this year. Unsurprisingly, I guess. When the Monday exam was moved to the Friday, the maths people had a particularly unpleasant time of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Hm, exactly the same as it was last year/technically this year. Unsurprisingly, I guess. When the Monday exam was moved to the Friday, the maths people had a particularly unpleasant time of it...

Yeah, two in a day would have been unpleasant.. Especially considering the amount of topics across the papers (I think paper 3 has linear algebra, groups, rings and metric spaces, then combined with paper 1's geometry and complex.. :/)!

Let's hope that weather doesn't mess things up this year, having 3 days of exams in a row like you guys did wouldn't be fun anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

amacachi wrote: »
    Just saw the numbers, might give it a miss.

Seriously?

Seriously?

Yeah, I've have **** all preparation and had fcuk all chance anyway, I somehow think having about a hundred in my course going for it is taking away the little hope I had. The college being useless and preventing me from using the library and no sign of that changing is also a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

I somehow think having about a hundred in my course going for it is taking away the little hope I had..

If a hundred people get the marks they'll give it to everyone, there's no limit.

I'd have to say to people to go for it, even if you think you have a very slim chance - you lose nothing by doing it, and the work i put in for it in second year is still paying off in 4th year. Yes, it's a wee bit stressful doing extra work, but the chance of getting it is not that slim.

Feu wrote: »
    If a hundred people get the marks they'll give it to everyone, there's no limit.

I'd have to say to people to go for it, even if you think you have a very slim chance - you lose nothing by doing it, and the work i put in for it in second year is still paying off in 4th year. Yes, it's a wee bit stressful doing extra work, but the chance of getting it is not that slim.

Judging from others it'll take a miracle for me to get near what they're doing and like I said circumstances aren't exactly making it easy for me to get much work done. Also looking like I'll have another excuse before the week is over anyway. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Judging from others it'll take a miracle for me to get near what they're doing and like I said circumstances aren't exactly making it easy for me to get much work done. Also looking like I'll have another excuse before the week is over anyway. :pac:

I understand. That said, some people only need to do very little - different strokes for different folks

Feu wrote: »
    I understand. That said, some people only need to do very little - different strokes for different folks

True, but I just scraped a pass in 1st year without opening a book and only hitting about half my lectures. Was planning to really get stuck in but College and Government ineptitude and obstructionism put paid to that. Ah well, there's always next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

You can do it. You just need to believe in yourself!!!

• Advertisement

I've been told before not to listen to what others are doing and try not to talk about Schols at all. I do find the more I talk about it the more I get stressed.

Also, the scholar I know, who was also in Science said the people who everyone thought would get it didn't so don't give up. I'm feeling the exact same at the moment plus the weather last week totally fuked up my studying and I hardly got any done but I'm still gonna give it a go. Fuk it! I WANT CAMPUS ACCOMODATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement