Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭gaeilgeboy

I did 4 geometry and 2 complex on that paper. Thank god for geometry! That said, complex is very interesting... just not as easy as geometry.

I did the same! Geometry actually became an amazing subject when I got what a manifold is ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I did 4 geometry and 2 complex on that paper. Thank god for geometry! That said, complex is very interesting... just not as easy as geometry.

Our complex course is actually probably much easier than yours was last year! It's just all over the place. :/ It's really interesting, I just can't tell what we've actually covered..
    gaeilgeboy wrote: »
    I did the same! Geometry actually became an amazing subject when I got what a manifold is ...

I may or may not be using your complex notes. You, sir, are very useful.. Now, do you have any complex solutions? :P

Geometry is a wonderful course. It kinda tended to go right over my head for a while, but I'm really happy with it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭gaeilgeboy

Aoibheann wrote: »
    I may or may not be using your complex notes. You, sir, are very useful.. Now, do you have any complex solutions? :P

I actually found some Schol notes from the past two years a couple of days ago. If I've any Complex, I'mm send them along!

gaeilgeboy wrote: »
    I actually found some Schol notes from the past two years a couple of days ago. If I've any Complex, I'mm send them along!

Feel free to send on anything vaguely relevant if you do think of it! :) I'll thank you in the form of delicious baked goods!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

Maybe some of this chat should be started on a Schols thread in the Mathematics forum?
    Now, do you have any complex solutions? :P

Apologies, I was writing up solutions for Dmitri, and I forgot how soon Schols are nowadays.

I have written up the solutions to Problem Sets 3 and 4, and you can find them at www.maths.tcd.ie/~cooneycj

Please tell others who are sitting Schols in your class about these solutions too, even if they might still need to be cleaned up a little bit. PM me if you have any questions about the solutions.

Also, I would recommend it to people to do the Complex questions rather than Geometry. While they are not as predictable (should be similar enough to problem sets though), you should be able to do them much quicker, and not as much rote-learning.

• Advertisement

CJC86 wrote: »
    Maybe some of this chat should be started on a Schols thread in the Mathematics forum?

Apologies, I was writing up solutions for Dmitri, and I forgot how soon Schols are nowadays.

I have written up the solutions to Problem Sets 3 and 4, and you can find them at www.maths.tcd.ie/~cooneycj

Please tell others who are sitting Schols in your class about these solutions too, even if they might still need to be cleaned up a little bit. PM me if you have any questions about the solutions.

Also, I would recommend it to people to do the Complex questions rather than Geometry. While they are not as predictable (should be similar enough to problem sets though), you should be able to do them much quicker, and not as much rote-learning.

Thank you so much! I'll be sure to pass them onto the other maths/TP students.

And you do make a good point - I've found the complex exam questions very quick to complete whereas proving the entire inverse function theorem could take me quite a while!

Really appreciate the solutions, they'll come in handy for the last couple of weeks of cramming! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Perhaps strangely, the geometry section of that paper took me about 45 minutes, and I spent the rest of the time on 2 complex questions. That said, geometry is simply a case of "if you know it write it down", so one is only limited by their writing speed (assuming you know it ofc).

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭antiselfdual

Backing that up I think my Geometry Schol exam may have been the only exam in TCD which I left early (this in the days when you did full exams on each subject). Current complex lecturer is a surprisingly easy marker (at least in annual exams). Just do every question on the paper, that way you can't lose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

Perhaps strangely, the geometry section of that paper took me about 45 minutes, and I spent the rest of the time on 2 complex questions. That said, geometry is simply a case of "if you know it write it down", so one is only limited by their writing speed (assuming you know it ofc).

I'm gonna say that the important part of my post was the "rote-learning" part; ie. I hated having to learn Theorems off by heart as it felt amazingly un-Mathematical to me (didn't stop me doing it for Schols though). Anyways, antiselfdual is completely right, you should just answer every question on the paper as best you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

damn, I wsih I was doing maths... :/
    anyone got any spare notes for engineering? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Best of luck to everyone doing Schol this year!

If anyone wants suggestions on reading, etc, for English or Psychology, feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

How is the geometry exam marked anyway? Do you need to spice up the proofs a bit and really explain everything in detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Best of luck to everyone starting Schol exams next week.

This thread's disturbingly quiet this year, actually... There are people sitting them, right? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

yeh good luck to everyone, i've seen a good few people nurding it up in the Stearne library, so especially good luck to any of the meds n health scientists!

remember, even if you think you've not done enough, or you're a bit shaky for one exam, there's nothing to be lost by sitting them, you might still do better than you think. Your departments want you to get them, as it looks good for them :D

Best of luck to everyone starting Schol exams next week.

This thread's disturbingly quiet this year, actually... There are people sitting them, right? :)

There's a fair few sitting them from this forum iirc, myself included.. They're all clearly just better at staying away from boards/the internet in general than I am! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

...Or have resigned to not doing them at all! Hah!

/sob

There's a fair few sitting them from this forum iirc, myself included.. They're all clearly just better at staying away from boards/the internet in general than I am! :pac:

Most of us are lurking in fear :|

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Monday and Wednesday, EEK!!!!

Thank god the Hammo is back open. YAY :)

Larianne wrote: »

Have you only 2 exams, or have you two on one day? Jealous of you being finished so quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tehjimmeh

Larianne wrote: »

I wish you the very best of luck in your exams, but please, never, ever use the word "Hammo" again :S :S :S

• Advertisement

tehjimmeh wrote: »
    I wish you the very best of luck in your exams, but please, never, ever use the word "Hammo" again :S :S :S
    Please, never, ever use three smileys at the end of a sentence again :S

Anyone else feel they should be doing so much more than sitting on boards and procrastinating?

Have you only 2 exams, or have you two on one day? Jealous of you being finished so quickly!
    I hate you, I have one monday, one wed, and one friday :(

I'm not finished 'til Thursday evening - Monday, Wednesday and Thursday for me. Still don't have the fear..

I'm not finished 'til Thursday evening - Monday, Wednesday and Thursday for me. Still don't have the fear..

I can tell you what page of my maths books certain words are mentioned, but can I do the questions yet? noo... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

I should be studying but what does the "BV" in "Elsevier BV" mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

boblong wrote: »
    I should be studying but what does the "BV" in "Elsevier BV" mean?
    Dutch for limited company. Now go study!

Best of luck to everyone going for schols over the next week or two. Not long left, so give it your best shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I'm jealous of you all finished early in the week! I have one Monday, one Tuesday and two on Friday :(

Good luck everyone!
    Cannot wait for this day next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Best of luck to everyone going for schols! I hope all of your hard works pays off and you nail those mothafúckas. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

tehjimmeh wrote: »

Eh, why? That's what I always call it.

Bringing the north siiiide massif to Trinners! YAWR :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Good luck this week you guys! I'm sure ye'll all do classsssssssss!

Advertisement