Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Larianne wrote: »
    Only for Medicine as far as I know. Probably to do with class size and number of years of the course and the cost of the course to run. A lot of foreign students sit them so if they get it that's a hell of a lot of course fees the college loses out on so I guess they have to make it harder for them.

This rule no longer applies for medicine - to be accurate, you used to have to get at least 65% in all subjects, averaging 70% overall when the schols special topic paper (which counted only for 1/3 of your marks) was added.. I have no idea why this was formerly the case, but I doubt whether it was to exclude foreign students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Not for TP/Maths anyway. People recommend having gotten a first in first year, since that indicates being on top of your stuff, which is necessary/helpful for getting schols.
    Is there any point in going for it if you haven't averaged over 70 so far? I'm not that far away, it's just I prob won't beat that in Summer at the rate I'm going...

Do you really need a large knowledge of everything from first year or is it all new stuff anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Kwekubo wrote: »
    This rule no longer applies for medicine - to be accurate, you used to have to get at least 65% in all subjects, averaging 70% overall when the schols special topic paper (which counted only for 1/3 of your marks) was added.. I have no idea why this was formerly the case, but I doubt whether it was to exclude foreign students.

Really?? Well a med was telling me porkies so!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

theowen wrote: »
    Is there any point in going for it if you haven't averaged over 70 so far? I'm not that far away, it's just I prob won't beat that in Summer at the rate I'm going...

Do you really need a large knowledge of everything from first year or is it all new stuff anyway?
    How much first year stuff is on it depends on your course... in TP, it was all second year material, in maths there was some first year stuff as well. However, usually a good understanding of first year material aids with second year. And certainly go for it even if you didn't get a first in first year, I would say. I suppose the question that would arise is why didn't you get a first - if it's due to laziness/lack of studying then it's not really indicative (though you do need a work ethic for schols) of your ability. If it's because you find your course challenging, then schols is going to be even more challenging. Of course, it's nice to rise to a challenge, so I'd say it's still worthwhile. : )

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭antiselfdual

theowen wrote: »

I know someone who got a 2.2 in first year (actually being the lowest ranked person not to fail) and got Schols, and I also know lots of people who got firsts in first year and didn't, so really I guess it's more about how much work you put in for it in second year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Kwekubo wrote: »

There was no minimum requirement this year, but 1st year results still counted for 1/3 of the schol marks, so essentially you'd still want to be pretty close to the 65-70 mark to make it worth your while.

I reckon they only changed it because our year was so awfullll, and very few peope got over 65 in everything. Very very few people.

bythewoods wrote: »
    There was no minimum requirement this year, but 1st year results still counted for 1/3 of the schol marks, so essentially you'd still want to be pretty close to the 65-70 mark to make it worth your while.

I reckon they only changed it because our year was so awfullll, and very few peope got over 65 in everything. Very very few people.

That's probably what he meant!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

psni wrote: »
    Andrew - Quoted deleted post.

deleted.

But just so everyone knows, it was real witty

Right, so I don't expect to get it but what's the dealio on Monday next? Do you have to go to it or do the college contact you anyway? I've heard from a Scholar (of 10 years) that they don't. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I can't remember if the college contact you, but they do publish the list of new scholars online at some point (that day maybe?), so if you don't go in you can always find out that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Larianne if you want to pm me some details, I'll be there on monday and will let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Every time I get an email about this thread I just think "F*ck!". Do the results go on the noticeboard before he calls them out?

Fairly sure I didn't get it and the thought of having to go and listen just in case... And I'm in TSM too so it's right down the end of the list! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Best of luck guys, really hope you all get it! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Do the results go on the noticeboard before he calls them out?

No.

The list of new scholars will go up online around noon.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

my department let me know ahead of time, and yeh there should be something on-line *beforehand. if you're in small faculty/school, or you're the only person who went for it, then they may let you know if you ask!

good luck folks!

*afterward!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

The economics dept. lets people know ahead of time, they call people on Friday and 'advise' them to attend on Monday

Feu wrote: »
    there should be something on-line beforehand.!

Since when? Unless it's changed recently it goes up online a few hours after the announcement.

Some depts will let students know. Plenty others won't tell you a thing.

Oh if it goes up on-line then I'll just wait.
    Groinshot wrote: »
    Larianne if you want to pm me some details, I'll be there on monday and will let you know.

Honestly don't know if you're serious or not. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Larianne wrote: »
    Oh if it goes up on-line then I'll just wait.

You really should attend the announcements, if you can. It's a really cool tradition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

I kind of want to go for the drama of it all but I also think it may be soul-destroying! :o my course is around the middle alphabetically so it could be worse I suppose! Kind of wish I'd done more work for it now though haha

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    No.

The list of new scholars will go up online around noon.

Ah right, thanks. Feck. I wish they'd tell us beforehand! I know it's tradition, but it's not like no-one would go to the announcement if they sent an email the night before... It would just mean the people who got it would be there and the people who didn't could happily avoid it. It just seems a harsh way to find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Have a good few mates who went for it, it's even getting a bit nerve-wracking for me so they must be bricking it... good luck to all!

Ah right, thanks. Feck. I wish they'd tell us beforehand! I know it's tradition, but it's not like no-one would go to the announcement if they sent an email the night before... It would just mean the people who got it would be there and the people who didn't could happily avoid it. It just seems a harsh way to find out!

People would likely go celebrating the night before and may not make it in!

I like the tradition. I know it can be nerve-wrecking but it's just one of those things you have to get through - and you can avoid it if you really want. I think announcing the names beforehand takes a good deal away from the ceremony of the whole thing.

People would likely go celebrating the night before and may not make it in!

I like the tradition. I know it can be nerve-wrecking but it's just one of those things you have to get through - and you can avoid it if you really want. I think announcing the names beforehand takes a good deal away from the ceremony of the whole thing.

Haha fair point. Maybe at 9am that morning then?

Maybe it does. It's just less evil for those of us who are fairly certain they didn't get it but need to know for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

I'm waiting too. It's not pleasant but it's just one of those things. Hopefully there will be a consolation party around :-]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

nicola09 wrote: »
    I kind of want to go for the drama of it all but I also think it may be soul-destroying! :o my course is around the middle alphabetically so it could be worse I suppose! Kind of wish I'd done more work for it now though haha

I think I remember from the thread that you're law/lawpol? Best of luck! :D

boblong wrote: »
    I'm waiting too. It's not pleasant but it's just one of those things. Hopefully there will be a consolation party around :-]

good idea!! :)

My scholarship ends on Monday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Ah, the joys of having been horribly sick for two of my schol exams - zero pressure because I know I haven't got a chance in hell of getting them. I may stroll in on Monday morning to cheer on everyone I know in Maths and TP - there's a good few that I can see being very happy come 10am next Monday.

Good luck to everyone, I shall keep my fingers crossed for all of you. And if you don't get it - sure there's always next year should anyone be a glutton for punishment (I probably will be, despite almost certainly having to take up a subject myself in order to be able to do one of the maths papers). :pac:
    My scholarship ends on Monday :(

Out of curiosity, does that mean you can no longer put "Sch." after your name? I've always wondered what happened with that once one's scholarship ended.

• Advertisement

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, does that mean you can no longer put "Sch." after your name? I've always wondered what happened with that once one's scholarship ended.

Good question. I have no idea. If I had to guess I would say I still could (not that I ever do).

I think in reality it just means I have to stop being a pretentious arse who claims to own the college.

Advertisement