Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Also didn't get it, but thankfully I had anticipated that so not feeling disappointed. I'm kinda sad that quite a few of my friends didn't get it - I really think a lot more of them deserved it - but I'm delighted for the few that did. :)

Congrats to everyone who got Schols, and you all deserve a massive celebration tonight.. But not *too* much, you do need to be in at a ridiculous hour to get sworn in tomorrow (10/11am is ridiculous, right..?). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Nope, didn't get it. Only one lad did. But couldn't have happened to a nicer dude! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lfqnic

Hey, sorry for bumping this yet again but I've managed to get myself into a bit of a pickle and I hope another new scholar might be able to help me out. I've come home for a few days after the stress of Trinity Monday, managing to forget the handbook. I think it said we were meant to apply for rooms this week but I can't find the link anywhere online - would someone mind posting/pming it to me? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

lfqnic wrote: »
    Hey, sorry for bumping this yet again but I've managed to get myself into a bit of a pickle and I hope another new scholar might be able to help me out. I've come home for a few days after the stress of Trinity Monday, managing to forget the handbook. I think it said we were meant to apply for rooms this week but I can't find the link anywhere online - would someone mind posting/pming it to me? :)
    Probably this? https://accommodation.tcd.ie/StudentBookings/

Seemingly its actually a designated website for people who are applying through schols for the first time, but thanks for trying :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

This is the link in the booklet.

http://www.tcd.ie/registrar_of_chambers/

Also, congrats!

Thank you very much, that's great! And congrats to you too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Aoibheann wrote: »
    sure there's always next year should anyone be a glutton for punishment (I probably will be, despite almost certainly having to take up a subject myself in order to be able to do one of the maths papers). :pac:
    I took up a new course for the schol exams when I sat them in 3rd year, worked out well enough. Word of advice: make SURE to get some facetime with the lecturer (or submit a tutorial to see how they mark it)... the words they tell you could be invaluable.
    I found out just before I sat the exams that because the other course I'd originally done hadn't been discontinued, I could have sat that instead. Too late for me at that stage but worth keeping in mind.

Also I'm sure you know, take care of your health next time... regular meals, vitamin d, plenty of sleep and go easy on the sugar (e.g. energy drinks). I know this now after being horribly sick for my finals after losing 1.5 stone from just drinking coffee and eating crap (skipping meals). God that was ****.

Lastly if you're doing them in third year... I'd suggest not bothering to study any of your JS stuff until after they're over. Sure go to lectures and get a good set of notes, but focus only on the schol exams (esp past papers). The momentum and good study habits you develop there should carry over. At least that's what I found.

Podge you'll find you can still sign in to commons, if/when you're abouts. I'm personally not looking forward to having to pay rent come June, at least I won't have to deal with the accommodation office anymore :p

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    I took up a new course for the schol exams when I sat them in 3rd year, worked out well enough. Word of advice: make SURE to get some facetime with the lecturer (or submit a tutorial to see how they mark it)... the words they tell you could be invaluable.
    I found out just before I sat the exams that because the other course I'd originally done hadn't been discontinued, I could have sat that instead. Too late for me at that stage but worth keeping in mind.

That's definitely something I'll be doing. When I find out who's teaching the course this year, I'll definitely ask if it's okay to sit in on some classes/submit assignments/that kind of thing. If it's the same lecturer as the one this year, I have plenty of people willing to loan me the notes as well, which would help quite a bit!

Unfortunately it's not a case of a course being discontinued for me. I switched from TP into Maths around Christmas of this year, and had to get permission from the Senior Lecturer to still be able to sit the TP Schol papers (even though I'd been told countless times before that anyone can sit any course exams they wish!), and I doubt I can get that again! I am at an advantage in another paper though, in that I'll essentially be able to choose between two sections instead of having that decided for me - so if one section looks horrific, I'll do the other. :)
    Also I'm sure you know, take care of your health next time... regular meals, vitamin d, plenty of sleep and go easy on the sugar (e.g. energy drinks). I know this now after being horribly sick for my finals after losing 1.5 stone from just drinking coffee and eating crap (skipping meals). God that was ****.

That's the plan alright, I think my family and friends have started stockpiling vitamins for me already.. >_> I seem to have been nearly constantly ill this year (I'm trying to get rid of a month-old cold at the moment) so I definitely need to sort that out!
    Lastly if you're doing them in third year... I'd suggest not bothering to study any of your JS stuff until after they're over. Sure go to lectures and get a good set of notes, but focus only on the schol exams (esp past papers). The momentum and good study habits you develop there should carry over. At least that's what I found.

That's a good suggestion. My only fear is that I'll start to panic because JS is worth 50% of my degree - but realistically, working hard on that material from January on should be fine and, as you said, the good habits should carry over.

Thanks a million for the advice, it's pretty much exactly what I need to drill into my head from now until January! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Congrats to all, and commiserations to those who were unlucky - but well done for trying.

• Advertisement

That's a good suggestion. My only fear is that I'll start to panic because JS is worth 50% of my degree - but realistically, working hard on that material from January on should be fine and, as you said, the good habits should carry over.
    I received that advice from a TP who sat them in JS a year before me after I asked how he'd partitioned his work. He'd originally got 68% in schols in SF. Then more or less only studied for schols in the beginning of JS (apart from taking detailed JS lecture notes and doing CA labs/tutorials etc) and got them. He then printed all the JS past papers and spent the rest of his time generating a good stock of solutions. He ended up getting 85% in his subsequent JS exams. I took a similar tack, and while my JS result wasn't quite as spectacular, I was still very very happy with it :).

You have an advantage over us... back then schol exams only ended 7 weeks before the annuals began. Nowadays you've a good few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

I received that advice from a TP who sat them in JS a year before me after I asked how he'd partitioned his work. He'd originally got 68% in schols in SF. Then more or less only studied for schols in the beginning of JS (apart from taking detailed JS lecture notes and doing CA labs/tutorials etc) and got them. He then printed all the JS past papers and spent the rest of his time generating a good stock of solutions. He ended up getting 85% in his subsequent JS exams. I took a similar tack, and while my JS result wasn't quite as spectacular, I was still very very happy with it :).

You have an advantage over us... back then schol exams only ended 7 weeks before the annuals began. Nowadays you've a good few months!

So if we sit schols again in third year, we sit the second year schol exams? Is there any downsides etc to it? I didn't do quite as well as I thought I would have done, but am toying with the idea of sitting them again. This time, I'll do it properly...

I would assume its third year stuff.

Don't think I could manage it in 3rd year. I've placement aswell and the thoughts of missing out again... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

As far as I know it's always second year material that's examined now a days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

There was a JS sitting it with us this year and he did the same paper as us (1st and 2nd year stuff).

I think I will be sitting them again next year, but with languages it very much depends on the paper & on the person marking it. You could know a certain play inside out and still get an oddly-phrased question that you just can't answer :(. No-one has got it in TSM French in at least 4 years because they mark out of 70 instead of out of 100 so it's almost impossible to get 70.

Damn subjective marking! And people think Arts is a doss....

Craguls wrote: »
    As far as I know it's always second year material that's examined now a days.

Oh Well, then I'd defo give it another go! For sure!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

There was a JS sitting it with us this year and he did the same paper as us (1st and 2nd year stuff).

I think I will be sitting them again next year, but with languages it very much depends on the paper & on the person marking it. You could know a certain play inside out and still get an oddly-phrased question that you just can't answer :(. No-one has got it in TSM French in at least 4 years because they mark out of 70 instead of out of 100 so it's almost impossible to get 70.

Damn subjective marking! And people think Arts is a doss....

It's the same with law, not that any of my friends/family believe that. :P Best of luck if you do go for them again next year, and to anyone else who does. Takes some real guts and stamina and, of course, brains. You're legends.

I'm considering giving it a go myself but I don't really know if I'd be cut out for it. I suppose the general advice is to give it a lash and see what happens? :)

Groinshot wrote: »
    So if we sit schols again in third year, we sit the second year schol exams? Is there any downsides etc to it? I didn't do quite as well as I thought I would have done, but am toying with the idea of sitting them again. This time, I'll do it properly...
    Downsides are you only have schols for 4th year unless you stay on to do a phd/masters (in which case it's really useful).

I don't know what the case is with exemptions anymore... but needless to say there are no exemptions from 3rd year exams... which means you're effectively studying for two years exams in one. On the outside that looks quite bad but, especially if the subjects are similar, you get a huge boost to your study habits early in the year and it's quite possible to keep the momentum going.

And yes it's the same 2nd year stuff everyone else is sitting. Anything you're doing in 3rd year michealmas will not be examined...

Edit: Congrats to those who got it, and my sincerest commiserations to those who didn't. It's a practical and convenience gain but doesn't really have any bearing on how well you'll do in your finals (or after), so chin up.

It's the same with law, not that any of my friends/family believe that. :P Best of luck if you do go for them again next year, and to anyone else who does. Takes some real guts and stamina and, of course, brains. You're legends.

I'm considering giving it a go myself but I don't really know if I'd be cut out for it. I suppose the general advice is to give it a lash and see what happens? :)

Nobody in either of my TSM classes got it this year :(, the way they mark Arts (and Law, I can see the similarity in the essay-style papers) is ridiculous. I'm not being a sore loser - I know I definitely didn't do as well as I could have - but in general, for these subjects there's no real marking scheme, it's all based on what impression the exmainer gets of you and whether they agree with your opinion or not! I think it's a pretty bad show that so few Arts students get it (considering that the points for the Arts courses in TCD aren't significantly different to Science, so it's not that we're less intelligent!)

/rant. :p

Yeah, I'd say try it. You've nothing to lose anyway! :D

Downsides are you only have schols for 4th year unless you stay on to do a phd/masters (in which case it's really useful).

I don't know what the case is with exemptions anymore...

Out of curiosity, because I'm not 100% sure if I would go on to do a PhD/Masters here even if I ever did get Schols, do you know if it's difficult to get an intermission of the scholarship? I know it's an application to the Senior Lecturer - but is it pretty much just a formality? Ideally I'd like to spend some time away from Trinity (in fact, from speaking to lecturers in our department, it seems to be strongly recommended that people do just that) so I suppose I'm just trying to see if going for Schols again would be worth my while - apart from proving a point to myself! :pac:

And exemptions don't exist anymore, so it's pretty much the same again, apart from studying entirely different material to what you're covering!

EDIT: Oh, and almostnever - you're doing Schols, even if I have to make you myself! I'll need study company if I'm to do them again. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tehjimmeh

I think it's a pretty bad show that so few Arts students get it
    Err, I just skimmed through the list of this year's scholars and I count 37 Arts/Law/soft science scholars. Just under half.

I don't believe for a second that it's "harder" to get it in an essay/opinion based subject. They're different kinds of exams requiring different kinds of intelligence.
    considering that the points for the Arts courses in TCD aren't significantly different to Science, so it's not that we're less intelligent!
    So much wrong with that statement...

Points are dictated by demand, not the difficulty of a course.
    The Leaving Cert does not in any way indicate intelligence, particularly the type of intelligence required to do exceptionally well in college and get schols, for example.

tehjimmeh wrote: »
    Err, I just skimmed through the list of this year's scholars and I count 37 Arts/Law/soft science scholars. Just under half.

I don't believe for a second that it's "harder" to get it in an essay/opinion based subject. They're different kinds of exams requiring different kinds of intelligence.

It depends what subjects you're counting. Some of them are subjects where there's a right/wrong answer as opposed to an argument.
    I'm not saying that the subjects are harder, I'm just saying that there's no defined marking scheme so marks totally depend on who's correcting them. Different lecturers give different marks for the same essay based on their own opinions - especially in things like literature. Also like I said earlier, the French department tend to mark you out of 70 instead of out of 100 (we are told this in our first week).

Does it not say something about the way TSM is taught and/or corrected that only 9 out of around 600 get it every year? (Compared to 10 out of 150 in Medicine and 11 out of 200 in Economics)

So much wrong with that statement...

Points are dictated by demand, not the difficulty of a course.
    The Leaving Cert does not in any way indicate intelligence, particularly the type of intelligence required to do exceptionally well in college and get schols, for example.

I know that points are based on demand, but what I meant is that we all got over a certain amount of points in the LC which indicates some level of similar ability.

This has gone way off point now, sorry.

Out of curiosity, because I'm not 100% sure if I would go on to do a PhD/Masters here even if I ever did get Schols, do you know if it's difficult to get an intermission of the scholarship? I know it's an application to the Senior Lecturer - but is it pretty much just a formality
    Yes it's basically a formality. You're supposed to give a good reason (e.g. doing another masters somewhere else) but if you flower up whatever the reason you should be fine. I know of nobody who was refused. I think they just don't want everyone applying for it unless they intend to come back. Anyway you can intermit up to 3 years.

Again to anyone who didn't get it, I just want to reiterate it has no bearing on your future life. Some of the most academically successful people I know tried for and didn't get schols. It's a monetary/social boon, and basically unknown outside trinity (i.e. not even much of a cv filler). Like the leaving cert, it stops mattering pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Congratulations to everyone who got schols, and commiserations to those who didn't. TBH, even being good enough to be able to give them a proper shot is a huge achievement... and there's always next year!
    It depends what subjects you're counting. Some of them are subjects where there's a right/wrong answer as opposed to an argument.
    I'm not saying that the subjects are harder, I'm just saying that there's no defined marking scheme so marks totally depend on who's correcting them. Different lecturers give different marks for the same essay based on their own opinions - especially in things like literature. Also like I said earlier, the French department tend to mark you out of 70 instead of out of 100 (we are told this in our first week).

Does it not say something about the way TSM is taught and/or corrected that only 9 out of around 600 get it every year? (Compared to 10 out of 150 in Medicine and 11 out of 200 in Economics)

Actually, only 6 people from SF Medicine got schols, 4 of them were 3rd meds who resat schols this year. So that widens the pool, significantly.

If your point is that there's always a right/wrong answer in a subject like medicine and thus it's easier, then I'd like to disagree. Isn't it all one big grey area for you trendy ortsy kids? I mean, if something is either right or wrong then you've a big chance of being wrong, where as if something is wishy-washy and neither right nor wrong, then isn't it a lot easier NOT to get 0?

/defends comrades

I also heard that the Meds got a b!tch of an anatomy question on it so fair play to the lads who got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

Got it in law&pol this year..most mental few days ever!

Hard luck and commiserations to everyone who did just as much work and deserved it just as much! the very best of luck to you if you decide to go for it again next year!

Almostnever, if you decide to sit the exams (and I think you should) then give me a shout, I did the contract, constitutional, ILS and land law questions on the law papers so I might be able to be of some guidance to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

you have to look at the numbers sitting the exams too - med [no offence here guys] is full of very driven, potentially nerdy people :D to which schols appeals. I believe proportionately a lot more sit it for medicine then arts, so bound to be higher proportion getting it. didn't explain that very well!!! just like if a 1/3 of med students sit it [say 50 students], and 10 get it, thats relatively not that much out of those that sit it, but still a good percentage, whereas only maybe say 10% of orts sit them [also 50 students], and get the same amount of schols, but seems much less overall. Also, from the perspective of someone who did Bess, and is now doing a health science, i'd have to say that in my experience, more people sat the schols in orts to get the exemptions, (which now no longer applies) without a real expectation of actually getting schols, as opposed to the science/health folks, who really seem to be going for it. IMHO. please don't villify me for making alarming stereotypes about two differing groups :)

and to those considering doing it again in JS, i'd say give it a go. I didn't and i regret it, altho, i really couldn't have studied pre-christmas last year, i should have just sat them anyway, as they were virtually the same papers as the previous year, but they removed the dread physiology which i tanked. what i'm saying is, as with anyone, there is nothing to lose by sitting them, particularly in JS, as it's the same stuff from the previous year.

bythewoods wrote: »

Actually, only 6 people from SF Medicine got schols, 4 of them were 3rd meds who resat schols this year. So that widens the pool, significantly.

If your point is that there's always a right/wrong answer in a subject like medicine and thus it's easier, then I'd like to disagree. Isn't it all one big grey area for you trendy ortsy kids? I mean, if something is either right or wrong then you've a big chance of being wrong, where as if something is wishy-washy and neither right nor wrong, then isn't it a lot easier NOT to get 0?

/defends comrades

Agh I wasn't trying to offend the Science students or say they had it easier! :o. I was just having a rant about how stupid my departments are. I probably shouldn't have made it so black & white (arts v science). One of my departments just refuses to give 70 in anything because they mark out of 70. I didn't do well enough this year, but there are people in my class who deserved it and missed out because of this illogical policy. I just meant that if you know your course (whatever it is) perfectly inside out, that Science papers give you a better chance to show what you know.

I'll take it to Ranting & Raving. :P

One of my departments just refuses to give 70 in anything because they mark out of 70.
    They don't mark out of 70, don't be ridiculous. If almost nobody gets over 85 in a science subject, it doesn't mean they mark out of 85.

The difference is only that the spread is wider in technical subjects, you're misinterpreting your observations.

• Advertisement

They don't mark out of 70, don't be ridiculous. .

They actually do. We're told that in our first week in the course - "We don't give over 70. If you get over 65 that means your work is excellent". :(

Here, for example: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60251485
    I think it was Tolosenc who said it somewhere in this thread too.

Anyway, it's totally off topic now, I probably shouldn't have started this here. :o Sorry.

Advertisement