Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Fringe wrote: »
    How do I find out what my breakdown was? I was told to email Helen in maths but she told me to ask each lecturer individually. Is there anyone who has all my results?
    If you're in Maths/TP, and if it's like last year, Professor Timoney should have your individual exam results (including physics, if TP).

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭antiselfdual

tehjimmeh wrote: »
    So in reality, I think the only difference is there's a higher likelihood of a greater variance in the marks obtained in different exams by science/maths subject scholars.

Also, while there's a high potential for trolling material in this, I think it's possible that the numbers getting schols in any particular course can be at least partially affected by the type of people who go into that course. For example, the reason a high amount of med students get schols every year, or the reason why a Maths/TP student generally is the Toronto Scholar, isn't down to it being any easier to get high marks in these subjects than any other subject.

Well in terms of highest marks attainable it has to be a very partial influence: Maths/TP attracts people who are very good at Maths/TP, yes, but surely most courses attract people who are as good at that course as the best people in Maths/TP are at Maths/TP? And thus in principle able to get equally high percentages. But this doesn't happen in Schols, at least in the last 10+ years. The criteria for gold medals suggests an "exceptional" score in sciencey subjects is higher than in artsy subjects, which I'd interpret as (further) evidence of a cultural bias in marking schemes. Taking it as evidence that people doing science subjects are more exceptional is silly (although personally gratifying for me :)).

Equally though I'm not sure it makes sense to say it's "easier" to get Schols in science subjects. This comparison only works if you blankly compare numerical marks in arts exams to numerical marks in science exams, and the real question is whether this is at all valid. (And it seems not to be.) If the mark given out was just "First" this issue probably wouldn't arise (although you could argue against this by comparing what proportion of particular classes get firsts, I don't have any data/anecdotal evidence here...)

Man I spend too much time thinking about exams I'm not even doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

It's the same with law, not that any of my friends/family believe that. :P Best of luck if you do go for them again next year, and to anyone else who does. Takes some real guts and stamina and, of course, brains. You're legends.

I'm considering giving it a go myself but I don't really know if I'd be cut out for it. I suppose the general advice is to give it a lash and see what happens? :)
    It's not the same with law. I got 72 in one of my papers so they can't be marked out of 70.

Surely if they marked out of 70, there'd be no law scholars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

You can certainly get over 70 in arts/law/social science subjects, I've seen marks in the 80s in JF sociology for example, and sure to get a Gold Medal in an Arts subject you need to get over 73, so it's possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Pharmanimal

Would I be stone mad to be thinking of trying a sciency schols in 1st year?

I'm some yolk for a bit of bant but if I'm led to water I'll drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stesh

Why not just concentrate on doing well in your first year exams first?

stesh wrote: »
    Why not just concentrate on doing well in your first year exams first?

Because ya can't bate wolfing down an auld slice of cake with another one rising in the oven ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Because ya can't bate wolfing down an auld slice of cake with another one rising in the oven ;)

Nah, just focus on first year exams. Doing Schols in first year would be more stress than it's worth

andrew wrote: »
    Nah, just focus on first year exams. Doing Schols in first year would be more stress than it's worth

Ok, sound for the advice :)

• Advertisement

The first thing I got from this sentence was "pregnant women enjoy cake".

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

What's the Toronto scholarship?

What's the Toronto scholarship?
    The person who gets the highest marks in the schol exams that year gets the "St. Patrick's Benevolent Society of Toronto Prize" (hope I remembered that right) which consists of a cheque of about €1100 euro, and lots of "ooh"ing and "aah"ing.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

The person who gets the highest marks in the schol exams that year gets the "St. Patrick's Benevolent Society of Toronto Prize" (hope I remembered that right) which consists of a cheque of about €1100 euro, and lots of "ooh"ing and "aah"ing.

Is this as well as the foundation scholarship or are they seperate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Notron

I was lead to believe that you couldn't sit schols in 1st year from this website....http://www.tcdlife.ie/scholars/scholar/about-faq.php#4.....but i dunno how reliable that is....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Is this as well as the foundation scholarship or are they seperate?
    I assume you'd get foundation scholarship if you got the Toronto prize, however the foundation scholarship is a little different.

Basically iirc there can be only 70 foundation scholars at any one time, while theoretically there is no specific limit to non-foundation scholars. So as foundation scholars end their tenure, their places are assigned to the top scoring students across the schools evenly. The difference between the foundation and non-foundation scholarship is, for all intents and purposes, in name only. i.e. there is no prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Notron wrote: »
    I was lead to believe that you couldn't sit schols in 1st year from this website....http://www.tcdlife.ie/scholars/scholar/about-faq.php#4.....but i dunno how reliable that is....
    Huh... that's odd.

"To sit the exams you must at least be in your Senior Freshman (second) year."

Pretty sure that's incorrect (it's also out of date, trinity Monday being in April now), I'll get onto the webmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

I'm sure there was a couple of JF'ers when i sat two years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    Huh... that's odd.

"To sit the exams you must at least be in your Senior Freshman (second) year."

Pretty sure that's incorrect (it's also out of date, trinity Monday being in April now), I'll get onto the webmaster.

It's incorrect. When people say that it's a misinterpretation of the rule that you can't sit the exam as "a rising Junior Freshman". That doesn't mean a student in first year, that means someone who's been admitted to the college but is not even in first year yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭aas

On the results page, does 'ABF' mean that the person didn't sit the exams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dabh

aas wrote: »
    On the results page, does 'ABF' mean that the person didn't sit the exams?

Short for 'abfuit', I believe.This comes from Latin verb 'abesse', and translates as 'he/she was absent'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

dabh wrote: »
    Short for 'abfuit', I believe.This comes from Latin verb 'abesse', and translates as 'he/she was absent'.

Thanks, that was bugging me.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Can you definitely sit schol in any year or does it depend on the department? Because I've just been told that I can't sit it in 3rd year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Larianne wrote: »
    Can you definitely sit schol in any year or does it depend on the department? Because I've just been told that I can't sit it in 3rd year.

AFAIK, yes. Though I know, like in Law, that it's heavily discouraged to the extent that if you sit it in third year you definitely won't get it. Maybe it's different for medicine or some other subjects. If you look at the schols exam results, it tells you what year each person was in, so you'll be able to find out if anyone from third year did schols this year, in your course.

andrew wrote: »
    AFAIK, yes. Though I know, like in Law, that it's heavily discouraged to the extent that if you sit it in third year you definitely won't get it. Maybe it's different for medicine or some other subjects. If you look at the schols exam results, it tells you what year each person was in, so you'll be able to find out if anyone from third year did schols this year, in your course.

Yeah, well I went into my tutor today to ask about my results breakdown as I was ranked high up in the class, but missed out obviously. I said I wanted to see what I got to see if it was worth taking in third year and he said you can't do it in third year. Which, I guess, is basically saying don't do it in third year, we won't give it to you. :cool:

I'll have a gander at results though...if I can find them. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

The only thing it says on the College calendar entry is that "no students may compete for a scholarship until after their names have been entered on
    the College books as Junior Freshmen, i.e. they cannot compete as rising Junior Freshmen".

That's from here. If that's the only thing they specify, then it seems that any student should be allowed to sit schols. There were definitely third years from Maths/TP this year and I don't see why the regulations would be different for another course (except maybe medicine, which is always special! ;)). Out of curiosity, who told you that you couldn't? Exams office should be able to confirm it either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Ah! Appears I am too slow, I just PM'd Larianne the same link.. In case people didn't want their results spread over the internet! Although, they kinda already are, etc. :pac:

Aoibheann wrote: »
    There were definitely third years from Maths/TP this year and I don't see why the regulations would be different for another course (except maybe medicine, which is always special! ;)). Out of curiosity, who told you that you couldn't? Exams office should be able to confirm it either way.

No, a lot of JS Meds sat and got Schol this year (But I'm not doing Med). My course tutor said I can't take schol in 3rd year but there was a lot of shifty eye movement going on and I assume he was not completely forthcoming with the truth there.

Thanks Andrew for the link. No, its only SF that took it this year in my course but there is many who take it in 3rd year on other courses. :cool: Is there any way of finding out from previous years?

• Advertisement

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Ah! Appears I am too slow, I just PM'd Larianne the same link.. In case people didn't want their results spread over the internet! Although, they kinda already are, etc. :pac:

They're anonymised sure, it's grand.
    No, a lot of JS Meds sat and got Schol this year (But I'm not doing Med). My course tutor said I can't take schol in 3rd year but there was a lot of shifty eye movement going on and I assume he was not completely forthcoming with the truth there.

Thanks Andrew for the link. No, its only SF that took it this year in my course but there is many who take it in 3rd year on other courses. :cool: Is there any way of finding out from previous years?

It'll tell you there for all courses. In BESS for example I know 3 people in JS sat it, and one guy (not me :o) got it. A guy who's on erasmus as it happens! did em while he was back for the christmas break.

Advertisement