Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

No, I mean previous years to see if any JS'ers sat it in my course. There's loads on the list there. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Larianne wrote: »
    No, a lot of JS Meds sat and got Schol this year (But I'm not doing Med). My course tutor said I can't take schol in 3rd year but there was a lot of shifty eye movement going on and I assume he was not completely forthcoming with the truth there.

Sounds well dodgy! I'd stick with the intention of sitting them for now until you find out either way though. I don't think I understand the meaning of the word "no", so I suggest that everyone else follows my path here! :p
    andrew wrote: »
    They're anonymised sure, it's grand.

Unfortunately not as anonymised as they could be! Plenty of people have figured out who's who from exam results before. But sure, the link is there for everyone to see, so that's an issue I have with the way the college gives results, not with you! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

ah, don't think there's previous year's results available. You'd probably have to request em.

Oh, there isn't! I just mean when end of year results go up etc. It wouldn't be very difficult to have individual results rather than a scanned up sheet, as far as I'm aware and I know a lot of people would prefer it. I don't particularly care if anyone manages to get my exam number (can be quite easy within classes as occasionally student numbers are on different lists for things and I do know people that have gone to the bother of checking, and no, I don't know why!), but I can see why it does bother people!

I will investigate further methinks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

So if you've a certain lecturer that sets a part of the schol exam, and then that lecture leaves this year, and a new guy comes along and changes the syllabus for that module, what happens on the exam paper?

I might ask around on that one, seeing as I imagine it'll concern me next year too! It'd be a bit crap for it to be a completely different exam to what you were expecting alright. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tears in Rain

So if you've a certain lecturer that sets a part of the schol exam, and then that lecture leaves this year, and a new guy comes along and changes the syllabus for that module, what happens on the exam paper?

Em, is this happening? (You're Maths right? I'm JF TP...so relevant to my interests too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Larianne wrote: »
    My course tutor said I can't take schol in 3rd year but there was a lot of shifty eye movement going on and I assume he was not completely forthcoming with the truth there.

No rule against it. I did it.

Also, in my experience, some tutors (a) don't actually know the rules, and (b) are happy to present their opinions as fact. It's why I ended up changing tutor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Same thing as happens whenever any lecturer changes, I imagine. The exam is different. They would have to give you a sample paper, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Em, is this happening? (You're Maths right? I'm JF TP...so relevant to my interests too)

Yeah, Vlad is leaving, and there's three linear algebra questions on one of the papers, so I'd imagine they'll be different if someone new comes along.

Yeah, Vlad is leaving, and there's three linear algebra questions on one of the papers, so I'd imagine they'll be different if someone new comes along.
    Only on the maths paper though, isn't it?

Also, Zaitsev did complex analysis this year and Stalker did it the year before, so if you want to see how much papers can change you could check those out. Every lecturer has a different take on a given course, so I wouldn't expect them to be the same at all, really. (Obviously there are limits to just how different one can make a paper on the same subject, but emphasis/syllabus can change.)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭gaeilgeboy

They would have to give you a sample paper, though.

Not necessarily true. AFAIK, lecturers - at least in the Maths Department - don't have to provide a sample paper for their courses. That said, for almost new course/new lecturer I've had, they've given one anyway.

Vlad's course is quite comprehensive, so I imagine his replacement next year won't change things too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

well i was actually encouraged to sit in third year larianne, so i wouldn'tve thought you guys would be different? but then no one got it in our course for 15 years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dr.Reid

I was also encouraged to sit it in third year. My tutor said that because third year goes towards your degree you are probably in a better frame of mind for studying. Maybe they won't let you do it because of placement? From my experience placement gives you a bit of an advantage as you have seen theory in action so you can make a more rounded argument in essays.
    Then again we never have scholars so they probably want as many as possible to sit it :)!

Feu wrote: »
    well i was actually encouraged to sit in third year larianne, so i wouldn'tve thought you guys would be different? but then no one got it in our course for 15 years!!

Yeah, I saw that a JS got it this year!
    Dr.Reid wrote: »
    I was also encouraged to sit it in third year. My tutor said that because third year goes towards your degree you are probably in a better frame of mind for studying. Maybe they won't let you do it because of placement? From my experience placement gives you a bit of an advantage as you have seen theory in action so you can make a more rounded argument in essays.
    Then again we never have scholars so they probably want as many as possible to sit it :)!

Hmmm... :cool: Don't know what's going on! I shall investigate further next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

I remember looking at the Schols application form online last week, but now I can't find it , anyone know where it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

http://www.tcd.ie/vpcao/administration/examinations/foundation-schol-exam.php

It's not available yet though - you may have been looking at last year's.

http://www.tcd.ie/vpcao/administration/examinations/foundation-schol-exam.php

It's not available yet though - you may have been looking at last year's.

Thanks it must have been last years

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭NeuroCat

Thinking of going for it this year, dunno if I could cope on top of my 3rd year work though. Decisions decisions... I wonder if all the modules remain the same for science this year as last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Has anyone started studying yet? I keep meaning to.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

zam wrote: »

Then get off boards so :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

zam wrote: »

I've had it in my head that I'll start this coming Monday, although it's not looking great at the moment! :p So much to organise and sort out first!

What material of SF is schols tested on? Is it just up to xmas? or do we have to study for hilary term topics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kontakt

What material of SF is schols tested on? Is it just up to xmas? or do we have to study for hilary term topics?

I'd like to know this too.

I've no chance of doing well in them, but it might be worth sitting them to get me studying for the annual exams.

Depends on your course. I did biology1, biology2 and chemistry, and it was only the material up until christmas. There were also specific topics we were told to study, for example in metabolism we were told we'd have a guaranteed question on diabetes.
    Kontakt wrote: »
    I'd like to know this too.

I've no chance of doing well in them, but it might be worth sitting them to get me studying for the annual exams.
    I did that last year and it worked a treat. When annuals came round I had a far better recollection and understanding (and notes) of my first semester modules. It really took a weight off my shoulders.

In TP it was only the first semester of material from SF examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

NeuroCat wrote: »
    Thinking of going for it this year, dunno if I could cope on top of my 3rd year work though. Decisions decisions... .

I'm also a 3rd year, thinking about going for it again, but I have so much work for this year that I dunno if I can. It'd be great to get it though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Can't imagine doing it in third year, it's hard enough when you're actually doing the stuff at the moment anyway. I guess you might have a bit more knowledge though, more showing off in the exam...

• Advertisement

Do i need to post my Schols application to the examinations office? or can i drop by with it in person?

Advertisement