Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Do i need to post my Schols application to the examinations office? or can i drop by with it in person?

Just do it in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Jammyc wrote: »
    Just do it in person.

I can't find west theatre on the map? anyone know where it is?

Also can I wear a Dracula cloak to the ceremony when I am awarded Schols?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Well, don't buy the cloak just yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Those are mandatory.

andrew wrote: »
    Well, don't buy the cloak just yet...

I have it on a hanger in the wardrobe already , and i'm having psychedelic visions about trinity monday , when i leap off the cobblestones and into the air ,and sink my fangs into someones neck in a moment of magical glory.

• Advertisement

Theatre in front square. West is toward the front arch end of college.

West Theatre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Theatre in front square. West is toward the front arch end of college.

West Theatre.

Is there an office in there or anything? I presume there is although I've never seen one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Handed the form in today. Horrible sense of deja-vu! And even knowing what I'm getting myself into doesn't make it any less daunting...:P

Sure nothing to lose, I guess!

allym wrote: »
    Is there an office in there or anything? I presume there is although I've never seen one?

There are several offices in there...In fact, it's almost entirely offices. Are you sure you're thinking of the right place?

Handed the form in today. Horrible sense of deja-vu! And even knowing what I'm getting myself into doesn't make it any less daunting...:P

Sure nothing to lose, I guess!

There are several offices in there...In fact, it's almost entirely offices. Are you sure you're thinking of the right place?

I just had a proper look at the map...no I was not :o
    Guess this bodes well for Schols :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I'm going to be up in Dublin one of the days next week so I'll probably sort the form out then. Exciting/daunting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Its worth doing because if you get it, the reward is great. But it's so worth doing if you've any inclination at all. Yes it's a good bit of study, but for most courses that'll only benefit you for end of year exams or even subsequent years exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Signed up today. Let the craic begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tears in Rain

Will there be any confirmation that we're on the list for exams? Just I'm a bit paranoid the office will have lost my form after I left in the box or something...

Will there be any confirmation that we're on the list for exams? Just I'm a bit paranoid the office will have lost my form after I left in the box or something...
    You'll get an email a little while after registration closes.

You'll get an email a little while after registration closes.

Ah cool :) thanks!

What box? I gave mine to the woman on the first floor....
    You must have put yours in the postbox!

What box? I gave mine to the woman on the first floor....
    You must have put yours in the postbox!

Can't tell if you're joking or not, but the forms go in a box on the counter in the office...

Can't tell if you're joking or not, but the forms go in a box on the counter in the office...

no the woman , no

There was a little box that I'm sure said "Completed Schols Application Forms" where I put my application..erm, this was the right place right?

There was a little box that I'm sure said "Completed Schols Application Forms" where I put my application..erm, this was the right place right?

No , the woman does everything , the woman on the first floor behind the door! nooooooooo

• Advertisement

No! That's a trap to weed out all the people who don't care about schols enough to find the lady. You're DOOOMED!

Don't worry, the box is the place.

no the woman ,no , the woman has the box in a safe, its not that box no! find the woman with the key , no.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Also do we get a list of people going for it or at least the amount of people in your course doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

zam wrote: »
    Also do we get a list of people going for it or at least the amount of people in your course doing it?

Nope. But your faculty/school/course may organise a meeting for those of you that are doing Schols, and you'll see them there.

no the woman , no
    No , the woman does everything , the woman on the first floor behind the door! nooooooooo
    no the woman ,no , the woman has the box in a safe, its not that box no! find the woman with the key , no.

Eh... okay. :confused:
    zam wrote: »

Not necessarily, no. Your school/department might send out an email though so you'll see who they send it to :P. And if not, you'll find out in Luce Hall (*shudder*) in January!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

So I finally dropped in the form today. Now to begin studying in earnest. :)

Got our suggested reading today and was all excited until I discovered that one of the books, which the lecturer said we HAD to read isn't in the library catalog. And costs about 70:eek:
    Anyone have any ideas how else I could get it? Can you request for an item to be added to the catalog?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

allym wrote: »
    Got our suggested reading today and was all excited until I discovered that one of the books, which the lecturer said we HAD to read isn't in the library catalog. And costs about 70:eek:
    Anyone have any ideas how else I could get it? Can you request for an item to be added to the catalog?

Yep. Or you can try to sort out an inter-library loan. Drop into the library and have a chat with the Duty Librarian about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

It may be that the book has been bought, but hasn't been catalogued by the Library yet. Drop an email to the Subject Librarian - you'll find the contact details for each subject here -

www.tcd.ie/Library/support/subjects/index.php

- or - as someone else suggested - contact the Duty Librarian, either in person or at 01-896 1127 or at duty.librarian@tcd.ie .

Make sure you emphasise that it's for the schol exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Does anyone know what's the craic with taking out books if you're doing Schols? Is it just that you can take out 8 instead of 4 over the holidays? Or, can you maybe take out the short term lending books which arn't available to take out as normal (i.e. counter reserve)?. There's one book which I'd love to get...

Advertisement