Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Last year it was 4 LEN books and 4 open access, no counter reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Psychedelia

Does anyone what know what the story is in John Stearne library?
    seeing as they are labelled differently to the campus libraries, i.e. they're just SJ or SJR (not technically counter reserve *crosses fingers?*)?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

seeing as they are labelled differently to the campus libraries, i.e. they're just SJ or SJR (not technically counter reserve *crosses fingers?*)?

what's the story with what? :)

They do have counter reserve in the Stearne, and certainly it is often for popular books. Also, where there is just 1 or 2 copies of a book, one or both will tend to be SJR, making them hard to get. But as with the other libraries you can guage from the catalogue if/when they are due back. More normally some lecturer has the one copy of a particular book out for 3 months :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

allym wrote: »
    Got our suggested reading today and was all excited until I discovered that one of the books, which the lecturer said we HAD to read isn't in the library catalog. And costs about 70:eek:
    Anyone have any ideas how else I could get it? Can you request for an item to be added to the catalog?
    When I was studying for schols, I had a minor panic wherein all the copies of a book I needed were gone (two of them had been missing for years and never replaced seemingly), and I managed to find it in a public library in Stillorgan. A book on thermodynamics, nonetheless. So don't panic, you might be able to find it somewhere unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

SJ is the equivalent of LEN (in the BLU) and S-LEN (in the Hamilton). SJR is the equivalent of Open Access in the other libraries.

One annoying difference is that you can't place a hold on books in the John Stearne electronically, you have to turn up in person and fill out a form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

When do these extended rights start? I emailed the library but no reply. great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

zam wrote: »
    When do these extended rights start? I emailed the library but no reply. great
    I thought it was just when the Chrismas holidays begin? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dr.Reid

allym wrote: »
    Got our suggested reading today and was all excited until I discovered that one of the books, which the lecturer said we HAD to read isn't in the library catalog. And costs about 70:eek:
    Anyone have any ideas how else I could get it? Can you request for an item to be added to the catalog?

I think you're the same course as me and if so make friends with some fourth years! They are all on placement at the moment and placement sites can have huge amounts of resources. They could check for you.

Also I found a lot of the books repeat the same things so try the foundation texts first and go from there. Feel free to PM if you have any queries!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 asdfghjz

Have e-mails gone out yet confirming that your application has been processed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Ahhhhhhh, so much paper in my pile of things to read! And it gets bigger and bigger rather than smaller and smaller :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

theowen wrote: »
    I thought it was just when the Chrismas holidays begin? :confused:

Yeah, it is.
    asdfghjz wrote: »
    Have e-mails gone out yet confirming that your application has been processed?

Don't think so. Just checked my inbox - last year it was only sent on the 26th of November, so it'll probably be this week.

Ahhhhhhh, so much paper in my pile of things to read! And it gets bigger and bigger rather than smaller and smaller :(

I wish I had a pile of things to read. I am still in a jumbled mess of not knowing what I should be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Got the email confirming the application...
    Let the hardcore study begin. :pac:

Got the email confirming the application...
    Let the hardcore study begin. :pac:

Waiting for the timetable for the real study....

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭SueGrabbit

Did any BESS students attend Patrick McCabes talk on the accounting exam for this year. He seemed somewhat confused about exactly what might appear on the exam nd didn't provide a curriculum for the course anyway, any one have any ideas about the sections he suggested to cover?

Sue

With regard to the books you can take out over christmas, is it just a matter of whichever books you've already taken out before the library closes? Rather than saying, I want this book for the holidays please, and then collecting it the day before the library closes.

And, what's the craic with the open access books, when d'ya take them out? There's realistically only one book I want/reallyyyy need, so I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to be sure I'll have it.

theowen wrote: »
    With regard to the books you can take out over christmas, is it just a matter of whichever books you've already taken out before the library closes? Rather than saying, I want this book for the holidays please, and then collecting it the day before the library closes.

The library isn't closed for the whole Christmas break... It only closes for a few days, then you can go in whenever you want to take out more books. You'll get an email when you've got the extra borrowing priveleges anyway. It's pretty much the same as taking books out at any other time of the year, you just can have more of them.

Emailed library asking when lending rights would begin and the reply I got was:

FRom Monday 12th December –Extended borrowing for schol students (8 LEN items)

LEN ITEMS? LEN ITEMS???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

zam wrote: »
    Emailed library asking when lending rights would begin and the reply I got was:

FRom Monday 12th December –Extended borrowing for schol students (8 LEN items)

LEN ITEMS? LEN ITEMS???
    Also how do they know you're doing schols?

Timetables are up!

Have them all on separate days this year :) but two in Luce Upper! Ew. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Also how do they know you're doing schols?

I think they get notified by the various departments, or the exams office. Wouldn't swear to it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Timetables are up!

but two in Luce Upper! Ew. :(
    Me too , smelly dump!

Timetables are up!

Have them all on separate days this year :) but two in Luce Upper! Ew. :(
    mine are all in Luce Upper...oh well!

Decent timetable, all nicely spread out and all in Luce Lower (so I can watch myself writing in the mirror...). It now feels very real!

Me too , smelly dump!

It's the lights that get me, those horrible yellow flickery lights... Are they sodium lamps? And if they are, WHY?! :(

I remember being told in 1st year "They're going to be demolishing that soon" about Luce Hall. Why haven't they proceeded to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Speaking of Luce, does anyone know what the deal is with that paint bucket hanging from the ceiling in Luce Lower? I was thinking abandoned prank

Had a schols nightmare last night. It begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Is there a limit to the amount of people who can get schols?
    Or is it anyone who gets over 70% gets it?

Is there a limit to the amount of people who can get schols?
    Or is it anyone who gets over 70% gets it?
    Anyone who gets over 70%!

• Advertisement

Anyone who gets over 70%!
    There must be a bell curve of something though no? Unofficially of course.

Advertisement