Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

I don't think so. The numbers who get it waxes and wanes every year. http://www.tcdlife.ie/scholars/scholar/about-list.php

Yup, at the talk the head of the Schols committee gave he said there's no allocated number of spaces; if there's more than other year's numbers of Schols that's fine, they equally aren't going to give out scholarships to people with under 70% if there's less than other years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

French oral exam is next week. So it begins... again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Very very best of luck to anyone sitting Schols this year! Keep calm and stay caffeinated. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is a limit of 70 Foundation scholars in total - this means an average of 14 will be given out every year though obviously there is some variation around that (there were 16 in my year). There is no limit on Non-Foundation scholarships. And as you no doubt know, there is no practical difference between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭antiselfdual

blubloblu wrote: »
    I don't think so. The numbers who get it waxes and wanes every year. http://www.tcdlife.ie/scholars/scholar/about-list.php

That reminds me that I graphed this once for what I'm sure were very practical and interesting reasons at the time.

Jaysus, this thread has been going for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

That reminds me that I graphed this once for what I'm sure were very practical and interesting reasons at the time.

What happened in 1984?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

blubloblu wrote: »
    What happened in 1984?

Just speculating, but I imagine this must represent the time when it was decided to award schols to all candidates who obtained the requisite marks, and not just just award the number that was needed to fill foundation scholar positions that had "fallen vacant" that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BeanMunch

SueGrabbit wrote: »
    Did any BESS students attend Patrick McCabes talk on the accounting exam for this year. He seemed somewhat confused about exactly what might appear on the exam nd didn't provide a curriculum for the course anyway, any one have any ideas about the sections he suggested to cover?

Sue

Hey, I was at that (MSISS student though, rather than BESS) and was also left a bit bewildered. Our textbook is useless from what I can see, and Patrick McCabe hasn't replied to any emails enquiring about what to read, or what the hell he's actually asking about.

It's a pretty awful scenario. Everyone I know is kind of neglecting McCabe's section, as it's only one ninth of our schols overall, and is focusing on trying to score high enough elsewhere to compensate. Not to say that this is a wise plan of action, but because the only information we have to go on is a mumbled 30 minute talk and last year's question (as previous years are irrelevant). :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

The library is so quiet! Now that term is over, I can't keep putting off all the study I said I'd do once term was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Were counter reserve books given out to Schols candidates last year? I thought not/presumed not, but the librarian today said to me they were. If so, anyone know why they're no longer given out? Would have been nice to get some of them out:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

theowen wrote: »
    Were counter reserve books given out to Schols candidates last year? I thought not/presumed not, but the librarian today said to me they were. If so, anyone know why they're no longer given out? Would have been nice to get some of them out:rolleyes:

They were given for Schols in 2010. I was told by the librarians then that they wouldn't be given for 2011, but they were. No idea what the plans are this year (Schols 2012).

Seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

They were given for Schols in 2010. I was told by the librarians then that they wouldn't be given for 2011, but they were. No idea what the plans are this year (Schols 2012).

Seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing sometimes.
    Ah. They're not given out this year. They gave me 3 on Friday by mistake and I got an email on Monday demanding them back by Tuesday :P

Sigh, first day I've had off work to study in ages and I get food poisoning...never gonna get to study :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Sigh, first day I've had off work to study in ages and I get food poisoning...never gonna get to study :(

Hope you feel better soon, piratequeen!

I'm starting to get very stressed now. Studying takes me so long, I did about six hours today and only got one tiny thing covered. I don't think there's enough time so I'm freaking out a little bit :/

Hope you feel better soon, piratequeen!

I'm starting to get very stressed now. Studying takes me so long, I did about six hours today and only got one tiny thing covered. I don't think there's enough time so I'm freaking out a little bit :/
    Yeah I'm majorly stressed out over it...have had to work so much coz it's coming up to Christmas even though I keep asking for time off...dunno how I'm gonna get everything done!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dropinthocean

Im in medicine and I'm gonna be sitting the schols exams. Is anyone else in medicine interested setting up a study group or just want to go over some stuff by email?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 newbeginnings

Anyone sitting Business 1 and 2, need to get Information on Dr. Fellanz and Pat Mc Cabe questions!! does anyone have any idea on the structure/content of the questions? best reading material etc...

Any help will be greatly appreciated and good luck to any one sitting the exams!! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 newbeginnings

BeanMunch wrote: »
    Hey, I was at that (MSISS student though, rather than BESS) and was also left a bit bewildered. Our textbook is useless from what I can see, and Patrick McCabe hasn't replied to any emails enquiring about what to read, or what the hell he's actually asking about.

It's a pretty awful scenario. Everyone I know is kind of neglecting McCabe's section, as it's only one ninth of our schols overall, and is focusing on trying to score high enough elsewhere to compensate. Not to say that this is a wise plan of action, but because the only information we have to go on is a mumbled 30 minute talk and last year's question (as previous years are irrelevant). :(

Would by any chance, do you have a copy of the slides he used for his presentation the other day!! Good luck

• Advertisement

God, schols really has crept up. Can't believe it's just over a week. It really would be nice to feel like I knew things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

not enough time to cover everything , i'm gonna give up writing notes in a few days and just start studying what i've got properly.

I only properly started 2 days ago...God help me >.>

Edit: Just found out the majority of the work I did over the past 3 days was wasted as I was given a reading list for a topic with about 10 articles with a range of subjects, when it turns out a specific area had been decided on and only 2 of the articles were relevant...and no one decided to inform my course of this.

~*@%!

time for sleep, can't study any more , have to read a sentence 10 times to understand it.

I hate not knowing how good you have to be. Have lots of things prepared - they might be great or might not cut it at all - I'LL NEVER KNOW

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

zam wrote: »
    I hate not knowing how good you have to be. Have lots of things prepared - they might be great or might not cut it at all - I'LL NEVER KNOW

It's the same as every other exam - just do your best, and hope it's good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tears in Rain

It's a two sided sword...doing theoretical physics means I have a pretty fair idea of exactly how ****ed I am for schols...which freaks me out and makes it harder to study. Pretty sure I've had a constant 150bpm heart rate for the past two weeks.

Only me will get Schols , me me me .

Feeling overly competitive towards classmates/friends... Staying in on NYE... This is all very fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Feeling overly competitive towards classmates/friends... Staying in on NYE... This is all very fun

A particularly histpol trait I think :p

Advertisement