Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

Siiigh feel so under prepared for tomorrow...if a certain question doesn't come up then it's game over coz it's all I had time to prepare >.<

Anyway, going to go to sleep and try make myself be confident...positive thinking etc...never works though :o

Hoping we all miraculously get the questions we want and do super well and all live together next year :P Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

One down. thank god. A few walked out early.

Well that was...meh. Didn't do much to improve my opinion of lipids either. Next exam wednesday, back to the books!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

zam wrote: »
    Feeling overly competitive towards classmates/friends... Staying in on NYE...
    You shouldn't be. You're not exactly competing. There's a standard, if no-body reaches it nobody gets it, if most reach it most get it. Look through past examples and you'll see huge disparities between courses, and year to year.

If a competitive spirit helps you then more power to you. However there is absolutely no-call for hiding/hogging books, or other nasty asshole behaviour.

On more than one occasion I've shared notes books etc. for exams. even helped eachother with problems. A combined effort can be beneficial for everybody. Perhaps it's a little different in some areas, where originality counts for example... but the spirit should be the same.

EDIT: btw break a leg everyone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kez1

what was the medicine schols like? I know it's only day 1 but I'm hoping to do them next year (2nd year) and don't know what to expect!

Best of luck to everyone btw! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Kez1 wrote: »
    what was the medicine schols like? I know it's only day 1 but I'm hoping to do them next year (2nd year) and don't know what to expect!

Best of luck to everyone btw! :)
    They were decent questions. That said they're probably the most predictable ones. Who the feck knows what some of the people are going to ask...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

I bought a tin of princes tuna chunks in sunflower oil today

I saw a mouse where there just there on the stairs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

:D IT'S OVER!

Only one of them went majorly better than last year and one went slightly worse, so I have no idea how this will pan out. Probably won't get it. But feck it, I can now finally throw out all those JF notes that everyone else has forgotten :)

I want to eat with the commons people , I want to do what ever the commons people do

• Advertisement

So excited for my 2 days off before college starts...wahey!

Will see you all in April, doubt I'll be celebrating then tho :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

I want to eat with the commons people , I want to do what ever the commons people do

I approve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

They ended up going pretty badly and I came rather close to an emotional meltdown, but still, I sat 'em all, stayed 'til the end and gave 'em my best in the exams themselves. And for that I am vey proud. :D

Well done everyone, hope you're all happy with how you did and enjoy this weekend off. And fingers crossed there are many delighted posters on Trinity Monday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

They ended up going pretty badly and I came rather close to an emotional meltdown, but still, I sat 'em all, stayed 'til the end and gave 'em my best in the exams themselves. And for that I am vey proud. :D

Well done everyone, hope you're all happy with how you did and enjoy this weekend off. And fingers crossed there are many delighted posters on Trinity Monday! :)

Pity to hear they didn't go well for you, but what a show of character! Damn right you should be proud and I demand you enjoy the sh*t out of the weekend :D, and rest well knowing this term shouldn't be as hard without these on your shoulders anymore.

Fair play to everyone doing them, it wasn't an easy ride, that's for sure. If anything, it'll be a lot easier handling the work for the new term now, and without the extraneous Schols study too :)
    Enjoy the weekend while we can!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Well, that was unfortunate. Oh well.
    Two great exams, and one disgusting one that ruined any chance of me getting schols.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Two great exams, and one disgusting one that ruined any chance of me getting schols.

Hey, you never know! :)

Besides, there's always next year! (my plan :p)

I've a mate who got 48% in one exam, and got schols. Worth keeping in mind!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I broke down during one of my exams. It went absolutely horribly. Turns out the lecturer made it way too difficult. I got a mark higher then physically possible from the number of questions I answered! Also worth bearing in mind. Schols is not an exact science.

I'm feeling peckish.

Feeling very very nervous already. Gonna be a nice week.

NOT

• Advertisement

How long does it take to go through the names usually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I'm going, despite knowing for certain it's pretty much pointless. It'll be nice to have the closure to round the whole thing off.

@Theowen: I think it's scheduled to last for half an hour, can't imagine it taking that long though!

theowen wrote: »
    How long does it take to go through the names usually?

Not long. They read the fellows first.

Then it's like.

"Ancient History and Archaeology. One Scholar. Blah Blah" through an alphabetical list of courses

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

Ah, I was planning on reviving this thread earlier this afternoon but I was waiting till I finished my final essay! I have been beaten to it ;)

Now that I am done with the assignments and became more relaxed at home, it was able to hit me: A week till the results, where on earth did the time go?

I've been looking to see what way they call out the names and according to older posts in this thread, it goes by course name, so for example, "Philosophy, 2 scholars, me (:D I damn well hope so) and whoever else!"
    A killer wait for names lower on the alphabetical list - I've taken to see what courses are before and after my course so I know when my course may possibly be coming up or if the course has been skipped on the basis of "tough sh*t philosophy, we don't really need you guys" :(

EDIT: Sorry Zam for essentially repeating what you just said - I was typing it up before I realised your post!

Still haven't decided whether I'll go in or not...the thought of it all makes me slightly nauseous :( too much pressure they should let us all know in a less public setting before all the fanfare!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 asdfghjz

Does anyone know which departments tell you beforehand and which don't?

asdfghjz wrote: »
    Does anyone know which departments tell you beforehand and which don't?
    It's usually just the smaller one's as far as I know. I don't know courses in particular though, except for a lad in classics or something along those lines.

I wonder how they put the marks up on your department board. I can imagine it not being by student number but by name...

Oh good christ, so nervous. Feel as though I haven't a hope at all but there is still a part of me that feels "but maybe...", trying to stop getting my hopes up!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Somalion

Has anyone ever gotten them and not shown up to the announcement? I dn't plan on going (far too much study to get done) and I certainly don't think I've gotten Schols (One brilliant paper, one good paper and one utter disaster :D) just think it'd be funny if they have this big, prestigious gathering and some of the scholars don't even show :P

• Advertisement

My department is kinda small , so unless i get an email I'm not going.:cool:

Advertisement