Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

My department/course is pretty small, but also really disorganised, so I wouldn't count on them giving me a heads up. Dunno what to do :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

It would feel really crap to go to the trouble of getting dressed up in a dracula cape and not being called ,so i think i will hope for an email:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Went last year. Don't think I can stand not being called again, so I'm gonna lurk at the TSM noticeboard in the Arts Block until they put it up instead :cool:

My department is kinda small , so unless i get an email I'm not going.:cool:
    My department/course is pretty small, but also really disorganised, so I wouldn't count on them giving me a heads up. Dunno what to do :(

I've only ever heard of Economics telling people beforehand. My departments are both tiny, and neither give you any indication beforehand (whether you've got it or not).
    Don't assume anything based on whether you're contacted or not!
    It would feel really crap to go to the trouble of getting dressed up in a dracula cape and not being called ,so i think i will hope for an email:pac:

You only get given the cape after your name gets called out, don't show up already wearing one!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

You only get given the cape after your name gets called out, don't show up already wearing one!!!!!!!

I really hope this happens.

blubloblu wrote: »
    I really hope this happens.

What, that you get a cape, or that someone shows up already wearing one? :P (Both?)

• Advertisement

What actually happens after one finds out they got schols?

(I shouldn't ask really, not good to be thinking of these impossibilities! :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

You're already allowed to wear a gown whenever you like if you really want to, the short undergraduate gown. Scholars get to wear the longer bachelor's gown, regardless of whether they have graduated yet.

(I shouldn't ask really, not good to be thinking of these impossibilities! :rolleyes:)

Wait and see...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

You get invited to the Provost's house for tea and oaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

You have to pay to rent it. It's a disgrace!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 AngelinaStars

I think its absolute torture how they don't tell us anything till the day. After all the work I put in the exams I owe it to myself to go up Monday. I know nerves are gonna be a killer on the day :(

Good luck all of you waiting on results :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 asdfghjz

Fringe wrote: »
    You have to pay to rent it. It's a disgrace!!

Were you given a heads-up on the Friday before?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Gonna be so awk not getting it and standing in the square with those in your class who did...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 AngelinaStars

Ah Zam think positive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Somalion

You could just not show up ;) That's my plan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Any of the Maths/TP schols on here, were you told beforehand?

zam wrote: »
    Gonna be so awk not getting it and standing in the square with those in your class who did...

I think it's probably more awkward for the people who DO get it, cause they don't know what to say to those who didn't...

I didn't get it last year, and a friend of a friend who was standing with us did - she was almost apologetic for getting it, when I was trying to congratulate her!

Anyway, you never know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

I really hope I get Schols now for the sheer middle fingerness to formality - I just dyed my hair purple.

On a relevant note to that, I realise that the point of submitting such a wasteful, unintended comment is a sign of the nerves kicking in that I'm looking for any opportunity to mention Schols (almost a "getting it out of my system" kind of thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Best of luck to everyone going for Schol!

I'll take this opportunity to pass on what a friend told me when I didn't get Schol the first time around: "Even if you didn't get the scholarship, you're still a great scholar for doing it and should be really proud of yourself."

That being said, I hope you all get it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Any of the Maths/TP schols on here, were you told beforehand?

I've just asked a friend (who is a scholar) and he says no. As far as I'm aware, getting schols came as a surprise to anyone I know in Maths or TP - none of my friends have ever known anyway!

Good luck to anyone who's waiting for news on Monday anyway! Fingers crossed for everyone, I'll be keeping an eye out for those in Maths and TP - I know a lot of them that I know that sat Schols thoroughly deserve to get them!

RedFFWolf wrote: »
    I really hope I get Schols now for the sheer middle fingerness to formality - I just dyed my hair purple.
    There's nothing in the statutes about not having your hair purple...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Kwekubo wrote: »
    Don't suppose meds are told before hand? Does anyone know if tutors know in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 P Funkateer

Anyone know if the English department lets people know beforehand? I'm hoping if they're giving a heads up it'll be tomorrow - put me out of this waiting misery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

I just realised i got schols!

gobble gobble

Monday
    Soup:Carrot and corriander
    Main Course:Roast Sirloin of Beef yorkshire pudding
    Vegetarian:Goats Cheese & Pesto Parcels
    Potatoes:Creamed Potatoes
    Vegetables:Spinach
    Dessert:chocolate eclairs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Anyone know if the English department lets people know beforehand?

They do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 P Funkateer

They do not.

Looks like a long weekend is in store for me then! Cheers for the reply Ophiuchus.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

Kwekubo wrote: »

Ah I know it's no big deal at all ;)
    I'm just around that kind of time when Schols are dominating my thoughts unfortunately, and every new aspect that comes along the proceeding timeline gets a mention somehow related to Schols.

I really want to get it at this point, just how good it will feel to hear your name being called - just that moment is what excites me most, on the basis of a great big IF of course!

theowen wrote: »
    Don't suppose meds are told before hand?
    Afraid not.

Best of luck to everyone on Monday.

Ah, I'm not doing medicine but in the school of medicine, so assume I'll be kept in the dark too. Ah well, not expecting much anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dr.Reid

Ah, I'm not doing medicine but in the school of medicine, so assume I'll be kept in the dark too. Ah well, not expecting much anyway!

School of Medicine don't let people know (or at least our department didn't).

Also if you don't turn up and get Schols they will ring you. I know people who were on placement and found out at lunchtime :).

Best of luck to all on Monday! You never know what will happen :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Well this is going to be a fun weekend...

Advertisement