Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I wish they'd just confirm I haven't got it (again!) to save me the effort of Trinity Monday! There's always that little part of me that says "But if that question went well... and one bad one can cancel out... and maybe that one wasn't so bad either..." even though I'm 99% sure I haven't got it. Oh well. This time Tuesday we'll wonder what the fuss was about.

Schols has made me a funny mix of neurotic and delusional; I said it during the exams and will say it now, we should all be offered counselling after this ordeal :P well, those of us who don't get it anyway, those who do get therapy in the form of free accommodation and daily 3 course meals :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bluelemonade

There's always that little part of me that says "But if that question went well... and one bad one can cancel out... and maybe that one wasn't so bad either..." even though I'm 99% sure I haven't got it. Oh well. This time Tuesday we'll wonder what the fuss was about.

Yeah I'm the same, although my big fear now is that my results will not reflect the amount of work i put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭SueGrabbit

Most departments don't inform their students. In 2005 there was some fiasco with a huge number of BESS students sitting the exams an bringing family to Front Square on the Monday resulting in lots of crying and upset relatives- so the BESS office usually called ahead on the Friday.

Economics are told to consider wearing something appropriate because they are invited to tea in the Dept. On the Monday and apparently people have rocked up in trackies in the past..

I have heard rumours this year so far, but nothing in stone.

Apparently numbers are higher than ever, but arts block scholarships have dropped in number. I'd expect a big no. of engineers again this year. Apparently 4 in pure English this year and a friend of mine said there are no philosophy or ES schols at all, but not positive about those last two..

Piratequeen, pretty sure I know who got it in your year..

For anyone who sat it, a huge number of people work to organise the event and getting it and not attending is very poor, especially if people in your department put out to get you the scholarship in the first place. While it Certainly isn't a nice experience NOT being called, often its best to rock up anyway, hear it and go home and mope- that's what I did anyway!

D: but no one ever knows anything about my course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Somalion

SueGrabbit wrote: »
    Most departments don't inform their students. In 2005 there was some fiasco with a huge number of BESS students sitting the exams an bringing family to Front Square on the Monday resulting in lots of crying and upset relatives- so the BESS office usually called ahead on the Friday.

Economics are told to consider wearing something appropriate because they are invited to tea in the Dept. On the Monday and apparently people have rocked up in trackies in the past..

I have heard rumours this year so far, but nothing in stone.

Apparently numbers are higher than ever, but arts block scholarships have dropped in number. I'd expect a big no. of engineers again this year. Apparently 4 in pure English this year and a friend of mine said there are no philosophy or ES schols at all, but not positive about those last two..

Piratequeen, pretty sure I know who got it in your year..

For anyone who sat it, a huge number of people work to organise the event and getting it and not attending is very poor, especially if people in your department put out to get you the scholarship in the first place. While it Certainly isn't a nice experience NOT being called, often its best to rock up anyway, hear it and go home and mope- that's what I did anyway!
    See I wouldn't want to be unappreciative by not showing up, I'm far too busy studying for my actual exams right now. Won't matter since I'm not getting them but I'm sure people have genuine reasons not to go.

Schols has made me a funny mix of neurotic and delusional; I said it during the exams and will say it now, we should all be offered counselling after this ordeal :P well, those of us who don't get it anyway, those who do get therapy in the form of free accommodation and daily 3 course meals :P
    Haha I agree, it turned me briefly insane for a while :P Took at least half of this semester being an alcoholic to get it out of my system (thank god it did, I know people who are still in bits from them :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

a friend of mine said there are no philosophy or ES schols at all, but not positive about those last two..

Good God, please just be a rumour going around - I can't imagine how anyone would know that anyway but I suppose if you know someone who knows all the going-ons at this point...

Ah well, at least if I don't get it, I won't be as disappointed since I'll have this thought on my mind now till then - but you may have severly helped me: if a negative result, not as bad an impact, if a positive result, extra surprise! :)

RedFFWolf wrote: »
    Good God, please just be a rumour going around - I can't imagine how anyone would know that anyway but I suppose if you know someone who knows all the going-ons at this point...

Ah well, at least if I don't get it, I won't be as disappointed since I'll have this thought on my mind now till then - but you may have severly helped me: if a negative result, not as bad an impact, if a positive result, extra surprise! :)

Just a rumour, never sure about it - there are always surprises!

D: but no one ever knows anything about my course!

Inside contacts always help - I can't figure out who you are to know.. but maybe its better that way!

First scholarships ever for your course I hear?

• Advertisement

Somalion wrote: »
    See I wouldn't want to be unappreciative by not showing up, I'm far too busy studying for my actual exams right now. Won't matter since I'm not getting them but I'm sure people have genuine reasons not to go.
    [url]

Sorry I may not have been that clear, those who do get it should attend the things on the rest of the day, esp. the black tie stuff in the evening - huge number of no-shows in the last few years..

The departments will call you to inform you if you have it and didn't turn up!

I found the experience at Front Sq, although I didn't get it, quite a nice closure to the whole effort. :o[/url]

[url]

Sorry I may not have been that clear, those who do get it should attend the things on the rest of the day, esp. the black tie stuff in the evening - huge number of no-shows in the last few years..

The departments will call you to inform you if you have it and didn't turn up!

I found the experience at Front Sq, although I didn't get it, quite a nice closure to the whole effort. :o[/url]
    Haha see if I got it I'd still not be too pushed on the black tie thing, purely out of time issues :D That's my problem anyway but it's not even remotely likely that I got them sooooo I don't need to worry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 airurando

Inside contacts always help - I can't figure out who you are to know.. but maybe its better that way!

Inside contacts? Indeed... Any goss about the Science courses? I know I didn't get them, but I'd like to think one or two of my friends did.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mercury127

Last year science got 8, I think that's the most they've ever gotten. According one of the chemistry lecturers the results this year were "...alright".

• Registered Users Posts: 25 airurando

mercury127 wrote: »
    Last year science got 8, I think that's the most they've ever gotten. According one of the chemistry lecturers the results this year were "...alright".

Yeah - even considering that people who did well would've downplayed it for the rest of us, not many people seemed too happy at all. As long as SOMEONE I know gets it I'll be happy - we'll never leave their flat, whoever it is. ;)

Scholarships? Are there more than 1? Only 4 of us sat it! This is exciting...yes it would be the first time anyone in my course has gotten them! You could PM me names but I can't tell if I'm better off not knowing or not! Very curious as to who your contact is :P

Oh really? Hmm, the chem exam royally f**ked me over. Won't say which lecturer but very disappointed with what had been asked. Was hopeful before that though :D

airurando wrote: »
    Yeah - even considering that people who did well would've downplayed it for the rest of us, not many people seemed too happy at all. As long as SOMEONE I know gets it I'll be happy - we'll never leave their flat, whoever it is. ;)

Never sure about the science end of things, was surprising the last few ears, very few biology scholars, none last year in fact. All physics, maths and chem based. Havn't heard much this year on the science end other than rumours about less meds than expected. lots of engineers and first scholars for hh&d.

...and first scholars for hh&d.

Again, scholars?! How many are there? This is killing me! :P

Again, scholars?! How many are there? This is killing me! :P

No idea really!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the rumours anyway, gives a little hope! The wait is still on!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mercury127

Ah actually, does anyone know if biology labs count towards schols at all? I know maths tutorials don't and chemistry labs are 25%, but I can't remember hearing anything about biology.

Ah actually, does anyone know if biology labs count towards schols at all? I know maths tutorials don't and chemistry labs are 25%, but I can't remember hearing anything about biology.

Not that I've ever been told about. John Rochford never mentioned anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

Just a rumour, never sure about it - there are always surprises!

Some hope for now :)
    All I want is that good feeling, sod the entitlements and "prestigeness" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Never sure about the science end of things, was surprising the last few ears, very few biology scholars, none last year in fact. All physics, maths and chem based. Havn't heard much this year on the science end other than rumours about less meds than expected. lots of engineers and first scholars for hh&d.

How do you know all of this?!

Few of my friends got "the call" today. I think it would ruin the magic of Monday though if you were told on Friday..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

zam wrote: »
    How do you know all of this?!

Few of my friends got "the call" today. I think it would ruin the magic of Monday though if you were told on Friday..
    What course were they in? If you can say :P

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭NeuroCat

There were at least 3 biology scholars last year considering one is in Neuroscience now, one in Biochemistry with cell biology and one in Zoology.

All requiring biology modules as prerequisities. So logically they must have done biology exams in schols?

Might as well take this post to wish everyone good luck! :D I sincerely hope as many boardsies as possible get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

theowen wrote: »

BESS! Only course I know of being told before.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Interferon Gamma

theowen wrote: »

Med scholars don't get the call afaik, sadly you'll have to play the waiting game. Good luck tomorrow though :)

NeuroCat wrote: »
    There were at least 3 biology scholars last year considering one is in Neuroscience now, one in Biochemistry with cell biology and one in Zoology.

Actually over half of the science scholars last year were Biology scholars. Along with those three, another in SF got it, picked Zoology and deferred for a break from studying and exams. Two JS students got it, one in Geography (having done biology exams) another in Biochemistry with Immunology and also deferred her 4th year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I feel sick even thinking about tomorrow :( It's so ridiculous, I know as well as it is possible to know that I won't get called but it'll still be disappointing.

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow, it'd be great to see as many of you as possible getting it :D

Advertisement