Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

Kez1 wrote: »
    One thing I'm unsure of is how many hours per week to allocate to schols.

Yeah, I've been wondering about that myself. I'm in science, not medicine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Seems I'm lucky as a TP. The only thing I have that doesn't really count as schols study are my physics labs reports which aren't too time consuming.

Ah, that's handy. I'm not sure whether or not lab assignment results count towards schols grades for Science. I feel like they shouldn't but I think I heard someone saying that yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

Hollzy wrote: »
    Ah, that's handy. I'm not sure whether or not lab assignment results count towards schols grades for Science. I feel like they shouldn't but I think I heard someone saying that yesterday.

Chemistry First Semester Labs count in Science for Schols. I think 25% or something

Is it just Chemistry? I'm not doing that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

...Good thing I don't take probability.

Yeah, nobody's gotten it in probability for years, so they never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

Hollzy wrote: »
    Is it just Chemistry? I'm not doing that...

I can only speak for the subjects I sat.

Physics Labs didn't count, Chemistry did.

Damn I wish physics labs counted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

Damn I wish physics labs counted...

I'm happy they don't. My lab report for Fourier Analysis should be burned to prevent it contaminating other reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭whendovescry

Yarghhh wrote: »
    Chemistry First Semester Labs count in Science for Schols. I think 25% or something

This news was like a dagger through my heart after the first three write-ups :(

• Advertisement

Indeed, based on the Sf science group on facebook, I don't envy the people doing chemistry labs.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

In out Freshers' Week edition, UT brought you an exclusive insight into the proposed undergraduate admission scheme that would be piloted in Trinity. Along with a proposal to allow only senior freshman students to sit the foundation scholarship (schols) exams in the near future, this proposal was passed at Tuesday's meeting on University Council and the pilot will begin in 2014.

The UT put that up on facebook a little while ago. Anybody have any further info on this? Hasn't been a whole lot of communication regarding it to be fair.

Well unless they mean that the pilot will begin on 1st Jan 2014 then we should be able to sit schols in JS. Hurray.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Well unless they mean that the pilot will begin on 1st Jan 2014 then we should be able to sit schols in JS. Hurray.

According to a friend the English dept told students during their schols talk yesterday that we cant.

That being said they also said we have to get >70 in both subjects to get schols in TSM, which isnt true :P

According to a friend the English dept told students during their schols talk yesterday that we cant.

That being said they also said we have to get >70 in both subjects to get schols in TSM, which isnt true :P

You don't have to over 70 in all exams but you can't drop below 65% in any exam as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

"As you may be aware, a proposal is currently being brought forward to restrict (from 2013/14 on) the sitting of the examination to students in their Senior Freshman year, except in exceptional circumstances. However this will not apply to students who wish to sit the Scholarship examination this year."

• Registered Users Posts: 43 guineylab

so this year's JF or SF wont be able to sit schols as a 3rd year? :(:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

If this thing passes, then yeah. It's ****ty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Phil92

Could someone please tell me where this west theatre place is? :-S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

The Board of College have approved restricting Schol to Senior Freshman students only, as of next academic year.

I think it's the wrong decision, but that's not the point. People need to know: if you're SF this year, it'll be your only chance to do Schol.

Well that sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Should have postponed the restriction for another year :(

Many of us entered into SF this year with the option that, worst case scenario, we could try for Schols again next year. Now it's just adding more pressure (and the decision will probably increase the number of Scholars this year).

Anyone know if there are any "special cases" allowed for sitting Schols in JS next year?

bscm wrote: »
    Should have postponed the restriction for another year :(

Many of us entered into SF this year with the option that, worst case scenario, we could try for Schols again next year. Now it's just adding more pressure (and the decision will probably increase the number of Scholars this year).

Anyone know if there are any "special cases" allowed for sitting Schols in JS next year?

Agreed, every year previously has had two opportunities to go for schols, current sf students only have one. They should have postponed it for a year in fairness

Well then it would've just been the current JF students who would be the first to not have the chance in 3rd year. Obviously I'd prefer if they did postpone it for another year though.

Ugh the thought of going into front square on Trinity Monday just got much worse.

Yeah, but at least if word was out about it happening, the current JF students would realise they'd only have one shot well in advance... Uh, feeling pretty bad about schols at the moment. Reading week has not been as productive as I had hoped...

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

How do I apply? I can't find a form on the website.

You can get the form from the exam office, fill it out there and hand it in. Just make sure you know the number of the papers you're sitting, the list of papers is in the "Examination Details" section.

http://www.tcd.ie/vpcao/administration/examinations/information-for-students.php

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

You can get the form from the exam office, fill it out there and hand it in. Just make sure you know the number of the papers you're sitting, the list of papers is in the "Examination Details" section.

http://www.tcd.ie/vpcao/administration/examinations/information-for-students.php

They have a list of papers there too now :)

• Advertisement

When's the deadline to hand in the form?

Advertisement