Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Hollzy wrote: »
    When's the deadline to hand in the form?

Thursday at 4.30 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

Anyone know how I can find out in what TSM combinations past scholars have gotten it? It just says TSM beside subject on the list of scholars. I'd like to contact some of them for advice if they did one of the same subjects as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Meller wrote: »
    Anyone know how I can find out in what TSM combinations past scholars have gotten it? It just says TSM beside subject on the list of scholars. I'd like to contact some of them for advice if they did one of the same subjects as me.

See here: http://www.tcd.ie/Secretary/FellowsScholars/fellowship/archive.php

Click on a year & scroll to the very bottom, it lists all the TSM scholars with their subjects;

TSM for 2012 can be found here:

http://www.tcd.ie/Secretary/FellowsScholars/fellowship/

Remember that the 2010 scholars would be the first to have sat the exams under the new system; the older scholars are full of helpful advice as well of course, but perhaps not as targeted at the reformed papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Does passing schols count for something? Considering the rate at which I'm going now, I can see myself struggling for 40%, let alone 70% :P.

They should make a prize for a person who passes schols with the least amount of study.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Does passing schols count for something? Considering the rate at which I'm going now, I can see myself struggling for 40%, let alone 70% :P.

They should make a prize for a person who passes schols with the least amount of study.

The pass mark is 70%, unfortunately. You don't get anything for anything less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

In some subjects, there are prizes for the most highly placed unsuccessful schol candidate, or the person who scores the highest mark in a particular paper; see the calendar.

That's an interesting list, thanks for providing it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

Study is going so badly >.< Also, I looked at the timetable today and I'm alarmed how many people in science are going for schols considering something like eight people got it last year 0.0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Hollzy wrote: »
    Study is going so badly >.< Also, I looked at the timetable today and I'm alarmed how many people in science are going for schols considering something like eight people got it last year 0.0

98 people in medicine! Couldn't believe it.

There are about 150 people sitting one of my exams :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

The pass mark is 70%, unfortunately. You don't get anything for anything less.

Apparently someone in our course got a cheque of some amount for having the highest result that didn't get schols... Though I've no idea how true that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

That is true for maths, it's on that list that Kwekubo posted.

Apparently someone in our course got a cheque of some amount for having the highest result that didn't get schols... Though I've no idea how true that is.

Oh, it's true. I forgot that. Never mind me, then :P

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Is it too late to withdraw?

Yeah, the deadline to withdraw your application was the 29th of November but apparently they don't care if you just don't show up and lots of people just don't go on the day.

Hmmm, I just had a quick read over what people were saying on this thread December of last year and they all seemed pretty stressed. I'm not sure whether this makes me feel better about being stressed myself or worse because of how much they were freaking out and the fact they seemed to get more stressed every day!

Nobody that I know has started studying properly yet. There's so much work to be handed in before the end of this week, the serious study will only start next week for most people.

The problem with getting schols doesn't seem to be the difficulty of the material. If you're clever and you try hard, you could probably manage the 70%. The main issue is the absolute lack of any sort of time for studying between lab reports, shi**y projects and weekly homework for some lecturers.

Add some family problems, friends and some general life issues on top of that and the mountain you're climbing grows taller every day.

Also, I almost forgot, having to get over 65% in all your subjects when sitting schols for Science makes it that much more awesome, as if the average of 70% wasn't difficult enough. :rolleyes:

I'm in science too... I was hoping this week would be more productive because I'll have to work a bit over the holidays which will get in the way a lot. Luckily, I work for my dad and he's quite understanding and won't give me too many hours but it's still going to affect study a lot. I'm actually finished with lab reports now but I just can't focus!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

You have to get over 65% in everything for science? Damn, I imagine that's true for theoretical physics too, or at least for the physics paper. Is that new or has it always been the case?

Between not being able to sit it next year, being told last week that the school of maths are changing the nature of the exams, and the fact they might be restricting the options on both papers, my confidence has been pretty shaken.

You have to get over 65% in everything for science? Damn, I imagine that's true for theoretical physics too, or at least for the physics paper. Is that new or has it always been the case?

Between not being able to sit it next year, being told last week that the school of maths are changing the nature of the exams, and the fact they might be restricting the options on both papers, my confidence has been pretty shaken.

Don't be shaken dude, keep carrying on confidently. After all, you have to do paper 1 and 2, and for some reason, even if they're told to emphasise problem solving I can't see Simms changing his half of the paper :P. Just keep whatever momentum you have and keep on building on it :D. Belief is key! ^_^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

It depends on the course. Some courses require you to get a 1st in every subject, others you have to get over 65% in all exams, etc. I know for a fact that for Maths the only requirement is that you get an overall 1st (one of my best mates got it with a 55% or so in his first exam). I wouldn't blame the School of Maths for them restricting options, rather it's the fault of the people who sat it last year, and focused on the "easier" subjects.

Pretty sure it isn't true for TP, or Science for that matter. Nobody who got a 70 average last year didn't get schols (in any subject), and as far as I'm aware, 70 is all you need. I do maths, and got 51 on one paper, and still got schols.

Pretty sure it isn't true for TP, or Science for that matter. Nobody who got a 70 average last year didn't get schols (in any subject), and as far as I'm aware, 70 is all you need. I do maths, and got 51 on one paper, and still got schols.

In all the schols talks this year, they specifically emphasised the fact that you have to get 65% in all your exams for Science.
    It's not the case for Maths, but it might be for the physics exam in TP, although TPs have to do some parts of the exam that we don't and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

In all the schols talks this year, they specifically emphasised the fact that you have to get 65% in all your exams for Science.
    It's not the case for Maths, but it might be for the physics exam in TP, although TPs have to do some parts of the exam that we don't and vice versa.

That's odd, I got schols for science (physics, maths, geology) last year and at the time i actually thought that it was the case that all results needed to be 65%+, but when the results came out i got 58, 87 and 65 which all balanced out to dead on 70 and i still got it.

There will be 2 papers in Mathematics and one in Physics (of 3 hours duration each). The Mathematics papers will emphasise problem solving and will be at the same times as Papers 1 and 2 for Mathematics. (In fact the actual paper will be the same but the instructions will be different.) Each paper should have 8 questions, to do 6. The criterion to be recommended for a Scholarship is a 70% average across the 3 papers plus two papers at 70% or above [new for 2013].

Pretty much solves that debate.
    http://www.maths.tcd.ie/undergraduate/FoundationScholarship/

That's for TP, for Science it's definitely 65% in all subjects.

If that wasn't the case, I'd be at least 174 times more confident about sitting the exams. I could scrape something out of physics and make up for it with o-chem and maths for scientists...

Yeah, I heard them say you have to get 65+ in all exams in science as well, just brought in this year I believe. As if it wasn't challenging enough as it is!

I am trying to stay positive but sometimes you just need to vent, which is why I'm glad this thread has suddenly become more active again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

I think I should be able to get the 65% in Maths (Fourier Analysis <3 ). Geology may be ok if I can get some extra reading in soon. Physics is up in the air at the moment :( Not nearly enough work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 guineylab

what is up with all these horrible new schols rules?! :(

• Advertisement

I'm a little worried about geology at the moment, as I've been severely neglecting it and spending all my time on biology. There is a lot to cover in it. I've started to focus on it a bit more now this week and I have some books as pdfs so it should be fine. The biochemistry is the real issue for me :/

Advertisement