Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

Thanks Larianne!

Yeah, yesterday was a terrible day of study for me as well. I was talking to a third year who said for both of the biology exams the highest grades are only ever a few percent over 70. (For those doing chemistry - the highest last year was 72). And apparently no one can ever get a first in geology.... Uplifting stuff!

Just hope today goes well. There's still so much information to absorb!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Yeah I feel that. I've spent a ridculous amount of money on ****e food this week. SOON. Soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Hollzy wrote: »

(For those doing chemistry - the highest last year was 72).

Is this including the 25% from labs? If it is, then the marking must have been ridiculously harsh.

I'm just back from Insomnia as we speak, so I can't say my diet has been the best either!

Yeah, it was including the labs. I don't even do chemistry and I was quite appalled when I was told! I don't know what the exact grades were for the two biology exams but they were more or less the same. So you really need to be consistent in your exams. Compensating for one by doing really well in another only seems to work if you do maths. I don't know what the story is for physics though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Is this including the 25% from labs? If it is, then the marking must have been ridiculously harsh.

I think I know who got that grade, and from what he told me, he was the only 1st in the schols Chemistry exam last year, and he didn't get schols. He's sitting them again this year.

• Advertisement

That's the guy I was talking to! He got 69% last year. How sickening is that? He said he's not confident about getting them this year either... :O

Damn. Really not looking forward to Tuesday morning now. I'll give the paper a thorough 5 minute analysis before doing it, in order to squeeze out as many marks as possible. It has to be assumed now that all firsts gotten from lab reports were 70% and not a percent more :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

That's the guy I was talking to! He got 69% last year. How sickening is that? He said he's not confident about getting them this year either... :O

I went to school with him. Very smart guy. He's not the type to be very confident about it though, regardless of how well prepared he is. I wouldn't take his lack of confidence as a sign of anything, really.

I really hope he gets it this time around. I definitely got the impression he's really smart. I do think I benefited a lot from talking to him (even if I'm a bit more pessimistic now!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Feeling marginally better about Anatomy in the morning, as long as we aren't thrown a curveball of a question (which has happened in Anatomy... also our reading list this year consisted of what seemed to be the first 20 results in pubmed that had anything to do with the topic. One paper was in Japanese and one was about Cucurmin's role in herbal treatment).

• Advertisement

One was in Japanese?! I did think some of the recommended papers were poorly chosen. Some barely tied in with what we were supposed to be focusing on... They were all in English though :P

Good luck to anyone starting tomorrow! Doing exams on a Monday is always the worst, it can only get better from there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Tomorrow has my paper which consists of the module I'll probably get highest in, along with the one I'll probably get the lowest in, so even though I may have gotten the first in it i'll still be annoyed at how shockingly I'm expecting to do in complex analysis...

If I can get that over with I think I'll be alright for the other two.

****in ****tin bricks man, and my paper in the morning is seen. Christ.

My worst paper is tomorrow. It's going to be a sad day... At least I'll have it out of the way early I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭whendovescry

'I wanted you to see what real courage is... It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. '

Atticus Finch in 'To Kill a Mockingbird'

The above is the only reason I'm going in tomorrow :o

Best of luck this week everyone!

I love that book! That's a great quote, I really like it.

Yes, good luck to everyone! I hope the next week will go better for you than it will for me xD

Ah here lads what was I even thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

Been following this thread, I've decided I'm not sitting the exams. It's not even worth paying for the train ticket in. Hope I don't get in trouble for this :(

Good luck guys!

• Advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBR2G-iI3-I

I'm going to sing this song to myself tomorrow in the exam!

ciara1052 - schols is god awful. I know how you feel, but surely it's too late to quit now?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBR2G-iI3-I

I'm going to sing this song to myself tomorrow in the exam!

ciara1052 - schols is god awful. I know how you feel, but surely it's too late to quit now?

To be honest I don't think so :/ I was doing a lot of work initially but the last few weeks I've kind of burnt out. Not ready at all.

I remember the chemistry lady saying people just didn't turn up and that there was no penalty so I am going to pray that's true.

That is true. Apparently there are always loads of empty seats.

I feel like I haven't learned anything >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

ciara1052 wrote: »
    To be honest I don't think so :/ I was doing a lot of work initially but the last few weeks I've kind of burnt out. Not ready at all.

I remember the chemistry lady saying people just didn't turn up and that there was no penalty so I am going to pray that's true.

No penalty whatsoever. Lecturers kept telling us that no-one combs through the scripts and gives out to people who don't turn up. The exams are voluntary.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow :( I'm not in until Wednesday so I have 48 hours more cramming time to suffer through

One down. Feels much better and less intimidating to have started into them. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 _NoName_

Hey everyone, I'm in 2nd year BESS and I have decided not to do Schols, but I never withdrew my application before the withdrawal deadline, which was something like 2 weeks ago, and I heard that if you have applied but did not sit the exams, your final transcript would state that you were absent for the Scholarship exams (which imo wouldn't look great to an employer) as opposed to just not mentioning the Schols exams at all?
    Can anyone clarify if that's true? Really worried here :(

^ Not a clue, but don't be worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Just got the email about deferring, entire TCD site and my.tcd.ie is down... yay for technology

I'm seriously debating deferring at this point. I don't feel prepared in the slightest despite working fairly consistently since Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

After writing about 8 pages both sides in that exam I only have a nub left where my hand used to be. Soo painful

• Advertisement

Well that was hilarious. I'm genuinely amused by how terrible one of my essays in today's exam was.

Advertisement