Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Anatomy - good.

Meat - gooooood.

Physiology - a bit of a mess. Straightforward question, just wasn't prepared enough.

Hope everyone else got on ok! Onwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

So many people in the library today whom I've never seen before - some desperate last-ditch study going on :P.

Can't wait to get started, just want to go in there and try my best (i.e. get absolutely destroyed).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Well maths paper I wasn't great at all. Wanted to do 4 questions on Analysis and 2 on complex, but the usual definition question didn't appear, and I couldn't even attempt the question which was in its place. Had to do 3 and 3 in the end, but I think I eventually managed to figure out a good enough chunk of the complex paper. I may have gotten over 70 on it, but I'm a bit doubtful. My attempt at explaining Lagrange multipliers was the mathematical version of waffling so I may have picked up a few marks there. I didn't even think they were examinable, it seemed like Simms had only done them because he had 20 minutes left in the last lecture.

Was expecting this to be my best paper, and was hoping that I had the option of not doing terribly well in physics, but now I have to really well in my next two to be sure. I hope the style of the remaining two isn't changed too much. :(

We've all become pretty pessimistic about schols now. They're really screwing us over this year. If I had've sat any of the maths paper I's from the last few year I could've done extremely well in it. Obviously I can't complain that they decide to change the style of a paper, but coupled with all of the other measures, I'm gonna feel like it I could never have gotten schols no matter how much I worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Well maths paper I wasn't great at all. Wanted to do 4 questions on Analysis and 2 on complex, but the usual definition question didn't appear, and I couldn't even attempt the question which was in its place. Had to do 3 and 3 in the end, but I think I eventually managed to figure out a good enough chunk of the complex paper. I may have gotten over 70 on it, but I'm a bit doubtful. My attempt at explaining Lagrange multipliers was the mathematical version of waffling so I may have picked up a few marks there. I didn't even think they were examinable, it seemed like Simms had only done them because he had 20 minutes left in the last lecture.

Was expecting this to be my best paper, and was hoping that I had the option of not doing terribly well in physics, but now I have to really well in my next two to be sure. I hope the style of the remaining two isn't changed too much. :(

We've all become pretty pessimistic about schols now. They're really screwing us over this year. If I had've sat any of the maths paper I's from the last few year I could've done extremely well in it. Obviously I can't complain that they decide to change the style of a paper, but coupled with all of the other measures, I'm gonna feel like it I could never have gotten schols no matter how much I worked.

Was talking to some friends in TP today. Sounded horrific D:. Just keep positive dude, dont dwell on it too much, as hard as I know that is to put into practice. Just keep determined :).

Opening my account with Economics 1 in the morning! Really wanting to get off to a good start. Am happy I finish with maths 3 on Friday, the paper I'm most worried about. Hope to get a decent rhythm going!

If it's any consolation, everyone in my class was pretty thrown by an anatomy question two years ago on the first paper and everyone thought that was that for schols, but 6 people still got it in the end, so you never know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Xevkin

Sleep is for people not doing Schols, apparently. Science was very doable, even if my Chemiosmotic essay was a mess. Chemistry is going to be a laugh, then cramming evolution in a caffeine fuelled haze. I detest what Schols puts you through. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

My optional essay for biochemistry was really really terrible. And short. Very short. My special topic essays were alright though. Still pretty sure that's it for me! Still going to give the other two exams my best shot...

Chemistry was rough. A lot of people walked out early. I didn't think the questions were particularly difficult, I just wasn't able to get a single one done fully. I knew parts of all the questions but couldn't combine them in order to squeeze out as many marks as possible. Spent a lot of precious time doing useless things and running in circles with some questions. Urgh. I think I passed it considering the lab results, but wouldn't hold my breath on getting 70% or 65% for that matter.

Hopefully I'll hold up my tradition of always doing the worst in my first exam and I can preserve some honour by the end of this ordeal :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Finished todayyyyyyyyyyy.

I will never be happier to get a normal night sleep

Lucky you! I don't finish until Friday >.<

• Advertisement

They really should schedule these at some other time so people get a little more than 2-5 days off our of their entire christmas break before starting back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

That was very mean of you Masha.

Yeah, it also didn't help that the formulae for Fourier series weren't given on the paper. It'll be interesting to see how he marks those questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

Yeah, it also didn't help that the formulae for Fourier series weren't given on the paper. It'll be interesting to see how he marks those questions.

Yeah that was weird.

I didn't realise it was attempt any six rather than 3 from each section. I ****ed myself over massively trying to do Q2 when I could have just done Q8.

Oh well.

No Fourier Series formula? That's ridiculous considering they were on our paper.

Paper II was good enough. It was more difficult than other years definitely, Frolov asked pretty much every question possible on Noether's Theorem. MacManus' section was good enough, although I didn't realise how hard the volume integral in 3 was until I didn't have enough time to begin another question.

Hopefully it'll bring my mark up from paper I. Now to cram physics!

Was Masha's that bad? I know it was expected to be. I was a bit shocked at the difficulty of the homework problems when I looked at them during the year.

I didn't realise it was attempt any six rather than 3 from each section

Oh, that would have been the worst. Mashamatics questions were horrible, I was glad to just have an attempt at Q1 and Q4.

ride-the-spiral, McManus said he put them on the paper but they didn't print and he didn't notice before it was too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭whendovescry

How i felt walking out of Luce after my last exam: http://i.imgur.com/MM6fO.jpg

It was so depressing being around everyone all happy to be finished. I've got my last one Friday evening >.<

Today went a lot better for me than Monday. I doubt it was good enough to compensate for how badly biochemistry went for me, seeing as people never seem to get more than 73/74% but at least I have some dignity back!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Xevkin

Felt as if that Science paper could have been a LOT worse, the compulsory questions were very straight forward and Evolution's questions were both fair! Overall, I'd hazard I got anywhere between 65-70, depends on how hard they mark this year, how many mistakes I made in Chemistry and just how egregious my spelling&handwriting was throughout!

Actually despise how we were led on regarding some questions in my exam today. Completely up in the air on how I did. There's been no huge deviations from the questions asked in the past 10 years and yet this year they decided to throw caution to the wind. One of the questions was even on a subject which we don't start til next semester. Not one person was able to answer it.

• Advertisement

How I felt today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmJTcyqiZ44

Physics was alright. I hopefully got almost full marks in 3 of the questions. I was a bit annoyed Cross asked the TdS equations because he completely overcomplicated it in lectures so I hope he doesn't mark me down for not doing it his way, even though its still valid. The two questions based on first year material were horrible though. I'll be glad if I was to get 50% in that question.

So one exam in which I may have scraped 70 and two in which I feel I got 70 unless the marking means I get docked loads of marks for small errors, which is possible.

Thank christ that's over.

I probably failed physics, I didn't even know how to start circuits or thermo.

I might have gotten 70% by summing my grades across the 3 exams rather than averaging them.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Nervous beyond belief about tomorrow. Have done two fantastic papers, and it could all be undone by maths paper 3 >__<. Rally dont want all this work to have been for nothing, am hoping some sort of miracle means the paper is nicer than usual.

I'm not feeling great about geology tomorrow. The material isn't difficult, but there's an awful lot to cover and certain parts can be quite tedious to get through. Also, I have been neglecting it a bit to spend more time on biology, which can't have been wise.

I can't see myself getting schols anyway so I'm just looking forward to getting this over with. I hope people are going out tomorrow night... If not I'll probably just go see Les Misérables and cry xD

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

I'm really angry at myself, because English ended up being absolutely fine, and now I'm in the situation of having given up the ghost just that bit too early. If I'd just kept it up for like another week and powered through Maths, then I might actually have been in with a shout but as it stands, I most likely won't pass the paper. GRRR. Why am I an idiot.

Damn you Maths Paper 3. Thou art a heartless bitch.

The dream more or less died on Wednesday. Maybe it was in a persistent vegetative state.

Today it withered and dissolved into ashes (smelly ashes).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Freedom at last with no major hiccups on the way :)

No more studying until April, my head is fried.

Freedom. Feels. So. Good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Leopold.

Where do Schols students get accommodation?

• Advertisement

First time scholars are all housed in Goldsmith Hall. After that you can apply for anywhere on campus eg Botany Bay, Front Square etc

Advertisement