Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Can't function properly today. Genuinely did not think I'd get it so didn't know what to do when he called my name. Record amount of people from my course got it :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Xevkin

Science was really odd. 5 Scholars (6 if you include PCAM), 3 (4 if PCAM) of which were third years. That's a fair bit less than last year.

But yeah, completely surreal hearing your name being read out. My mind hasn't really processed it yet. Congratulations to everyone else who sat it, Schols is a mission one way or another, just finishing them is an achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

Hurray!

It wasn't a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭snicket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

snicket wrote: »
    What does "ABF" mean?

Absent I assume. It's beside my number and I didn't sit any exams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Could also mean Absolute Failure?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Could also mean Absolute Failure?

How negative. It obviously means Absolutely Fantastic. Or Absolutely Fabulous if you really want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Leopold.

and because ****off

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Looking at the grades for my course, I'm really glad I didn't bother doing the exams in the end, noone got anywhere close to a first.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

blubloblu wrote: »
    82% in history, wow.

Friend of mine got that, really really fantastic guy - fully deserved. Congrats to everyone who got it ^^

• Advertisement

Don't think I will ever have as lavish a dinner as I did last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Anita Blow wrote: »
    Don't think I will ever have as lavish a dinner as I did last night.
    Apparently commons isn't any lower of a standard. Well that's what all the former Scholars who were next to me were saying anyway.

Don't think they'll crack the wine open again for commons though!

Apparently commons isn't any lower of a standard. Well that's what all the former Scholars who were next to me were saying anyway.

Having just come from my first commons, I'm gonna have to tell you that the people you were sitting beside were trolling you. Hard.

Xevkin wrote: »
    Having just come from my first commons, I'm gonna have to tell you that the people you were sitting beside were trolling you. Hard.
    Well considering I can't stand Salmon or Lamb, I can't say i'll be complaining.

(Out of interest... what was it like compared to yesterday?)

Blasphemy they were both delish yesterday.
    Only downside was the port which was like drinking pure varnish with a bit of cough syrup.

Going for first commons tomorrow woooo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Well thanks to the school of physics today was my third commons. It's not as good as the scholars meal but that's because of the big deal that they need to make of it.

The food at commons is still good, I was quite impressed the first time I went last year, but compared to yesterday anything would look ordinary. The whole standing up thing will be strange to me for a while though...

Well considering I can't stand Salmon or Lamb, I can't say i'll be complaining.

(Out of interest... what was it like compared to yesterday?)

If yesterday was a fine dining experience, today was calvery. Not that I'm complaining really - I dislike beef (which was the meat main), but I think I can stomach it if it's for free :P

Yeah the standing up thing is a bit unsettling, particularly at the end...and we're never going to get used to the ear-splitting screeches the chairs make when they move. Schol problems I guess.

So if you're taking the money in lieu of accommodation you don't have to do anything until september right? Also, it's possible to not take accommodation in 3rd year but take it in 4th year yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Xevkin wrote: »
    Yeah the standing up thing is a bit unsettling, particularly at the end...and we're never going to get used to the ear-splitting screeches the chairs make when they move. Schol problems I guess.
    You'll stop noticing the noise surprisingly quickly. You might find yourself becoming conditioned to stand up suddenly when doors are slammed shut, though.

• Advertisement

Out of interest... who can buy a ticket to commons?

Is it just students and staff or can you buy a ticket for a guest who isn't from Trinity?

Fairly sure I was talking to somebody who said they brought their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Anyone in College is allowed to attend Commons, and to buy extra tickets for external guests. You can buy tickets in the Catering Office behind the Dining Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭user1

I was elected to schols on Monday and I heard that you can just do a 2 years masters with schols. I did schols in my final year and I was under the impression that if you had it for 5 years, you could continue your education for that length of time. Since you can do another degree this would amount to the same fees, I don't see what difference it makes. Anyone know anything about this because there really isn't any information about this on the TCD site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

user1 wrote: »
    I was elected to schols on Monday and I heard that you can just do a 2 years masters with schols. I did schols in my final year and I was under the impression that if you had it for 5 years, you could continue your education for that length of time. Since you can do another degree this would amount to the same fees, I don't see what difference it makes. Anyone know anything about this because there really isn't any information about this on the TCD site.

Not exactly sure what your question is.
    You hold your scholarship for five years. As long as you are in TCD, you get your fees paid. I don't think it matters whether it's undergraduate or postgraduate if that's what you're asking.
    Also, congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭user1

Could you then in theory do 2 masters.

It normally lasts 5 years, however if you did it in your SS year, then you're only entitled to do 1 Masters course of 1 or 2 years duration. After that your entitlements end.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Interferon Gamma

Anita Blow wrote: »
    It normally lasts 5 years, however if you did it in your SS year, then you're only entitled to do 1 Masters course of 1 or 2 years duration. After that your entitlements end.

While I'm ignorant of the regulations I'm not sure if that's true. A friend got schols when in JS back in 2009 and is currently finishing his second masters.

While I'm ignorant of the regulations I'm not sure if that's true. A friend got schols when in JS back in 2009 and is currently finishing his second masters.
    I was replying to someone who was talking about getting Schols in SS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

"Foundation scholars hold their scholarships normally either until the end of the June quarter following the date at which they become or might have become masters in arts, or until the end of the June quarter of the fifth year following their election, whichever of these two dates is the earlier, except when permission has been given for a scholar to intermit the tenure"

Tis in the Calender

Advertisement