Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

VENT: Fcuking exams. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Aaaaaaaaagh bloody exams, I feel like I've done no work at all! Gah!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Good vibes, good vibes...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Anyone else spend a day in the library and feel like they know everything, then the next day feel like they know absolutely nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Well, I don't study in the Library, but yeah. I keep fluctating between thinking it'll be doable and impossible....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

obl wrote: »
    Anyone else spend a day in the library and feel like they know everything, then the next day feel like they know absolutely nothing?

yep.. exact same happens to me...
    Im sure itll all work out...

*breathes deeply*

You're right, you're right.

Spent the day working on questions in the library, and I feel way more positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

Timetables are up (at least, some of them are).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Only 2 years until I can do all this myself YAY!!!!!!!!!

(This thing about exemptions no longer existing(That is true right?) nay.......(Old news, but I only heard recently))

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

Got my timetable today...Geometry is on Friday the 13th!! thank God I'm not superstitious

Not sure if this has been asked already but what happens if you apply to do schols but don't turn up to the exams??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Not sure if this has been asked already but what happens if you apply to do schols but don't turn up to the exams??

You get an automatic fail and it's frowned upon. If you decide not to do them you can knock in to the examinations office beforehand and withdraw, not sure of the date though. I applied and withdrew two separate years by the way and look at me now (so don't worry, there's no shame in it.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Got my timetable today...Geometry is on Friday the 13th!! thank God I'm not superstitious

Honestly, not much. No formal penalty. But if you're in a small class and you know you're not going to turn up, do make the effort and withdraw formally; you might be the only one sitting the paper and the only reason one has been drawn up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 who_cares

Just got my timetable today.. and have to say its actually not too bad. I really should have started working a lot earlier though. What do you think chances are of getting a BESS schol with only a few weeks study?

Yay. my timetable is all spread out.. lots of study time :)

For those who were considering withdrawing, the deadline was today at 4pm..... :/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

who_cares wrote: »
    Just got my timetable today.. and have to say its actually not too bad. I really should have started working a lot earlier though. What do you think chances are of getting a BESS schol with only a few weeks study?

No one can answer that question except yourself. You're the only one who knows how much study you need to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

Podge_irl wrote: »
    No one can answer that question except yourself. You're the only one who knows how much study you need to do.

Erroneous.

OP-the answer to your question is 7 to 1 are your chances. Looking good.
    Glad to help. :pac:

*This post is dedicated to Shay and his penchant for making lists.

My timetable sucks balls. Still have to find out where and when 2 of my exams will take place. And apparently there is now a CSLL Russian course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

I have a slightly unsettling issue; too many notes made and not enough space in my brain for them! Or time to stretch the cranium to slot 'em all in. All that time wasted reading new stuff instead of revising.

My timetable is a lot nicer than I was expecting from jamming two subjects together, no afternoon exams and not too many days in a row, although I will need an entire weekend of sleep after week 2. If Sir Ophiuchus is who I think he is, hello timetable buddy!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hello Áine. *waves*

Yeah, the timetable is pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Today I blurted out (light-heartedly, but not obviously so) that I hated a certain lecturer who sets one of my schol exams (I don't have him for anything though) - he was right behind me.... :S

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Today I blurted out (light-heartedly, but not obviously so) that I hated a certain lecturer who sets one of my schol exams (I don't have him for anything though) - he was right behind me.... :S
    I'm sure they're well used to students not liking them. If you teach a few hundred students theres bound to be a few who dont like you..
    Once he doesnt know who you are and remember what you said it'll be grand!!

Embarrassing thing to happen tho.. Seen it happen a few times with people in my course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭LenovoUser

Kwekubo wrote: »
    I suppose I can legitimately throw my hat into the ring here, since our first year exam results constitute part of Schols if we choose to go down that route. Academic masochism ftw.
    first year exam results part of the schols ? Now I didn't know that...

What I would do if I were facing the schols in a couple of weeks time is to get together with any other CS fellow students doing the schols and together work out correctly between us ALL the past exam papers , in LG 12 , when it's quiet from Friday next onward. That should ensure at least one schol from CS this year :

Lecturers do not generally like drawing up new exam qestions, as it's a terrible bother to get every part of every question you ask answered correctly line by line, so as to compare students' answers with theirs when marking.

So it's a good bet that right now those past exam papers make up the bulk of all the question s on those schols exam papers for this year, awaiting you right now in Trinity safes .

And if you CS Schols entrants get toogether, you might even achieve more than one schol this year for the Dept. so the very best of luck :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

LenovoUser wrote: »
    first year exam results part of the schols ? Now I didn't know that...
    I'm pretty certain that's not the case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain that's not the case.

First year exams count towards Schols for medicine, and possibly other subjects. Its one of the things being reviewed at the moment, as how departments decide what to base schols on is a bit of a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭jason&arthur

time to start studyin'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

If you're going for exemptions. If you're going for schols you're likely a little late, unless you're one of those people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭jason&arthur

deal was "if u make an effort jason u don't have to work this summer", so the actual result itself isn't to worrying, i just dont want to do too awful like arthur's gonna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭scruttocks

my head asplode

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote: »

And who might that have been? ;)

Advertisement