Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

5 Schols from Pharmacy for the 2nd year in a row!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wsxzaq

234 wrote: »
    You request them from your school.

Even just to find out your overall grade?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

wsxzaq wrote: »
    Even just to find out your overall grade?

Your grade should be on the board in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Anyone know who got Toronto?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Your grade should be on the board in college.

This year it just displayed the grade class rather than the actual mark.

• Advertisement

Fringe wrote: »
    Anyone know who got Toronto?

One of the mathematicians. No surprise there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Sincere commiserations to those who didn't make it...especially the 69-er above. This recent University Times article which may provide some comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

One of the mathematicians. No surprise there.

Anyone who knew him knew that he will get Toronto. The guy got 98% in his first year exams. (I hope it was in fact him who got Toronto though, I'm assuming here haha)

I got 68% myself. Close, but no cigar.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭countbezukov

It was said mathematician who got toronto alright, he's pretty phenomenal. There were two foundation scholars in maths too this year, both deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 bayareayogi

I got a first ..... But no schols. Speechless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 kitten7

I got a first ..... But no scholls. Speechless.

what, how did that work out? I thought if you got a first you automatically got it?

kitten7 wrote: »
    I would argue that it's worse form to have a load of hopefuls waiting around in the rain for a potential massive let down.

Have to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Some (or all?) exams with 3 papers require you to not just get a First overall, but a First in 2/3 papers

Nope in some schools you need a first in most of the papers (in my case missed it by 1% in one of the papers) AND an overall first. Sucky sucky sucks. And I mean that. Couldn't be worse.

Is it possible to appeal results just out of interest?
    Don't think so. And even if you could, it would somehow take from the sense of achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Don't think so. And even if you could, it would somehow take from the sense of achievement.

I cant see how it would reduce the achievement of it. I remember I was gutted that I didnt get an A1 in Geography and an A2 in Biology in the LC. I worked so hard and felt I deserved it. When I appealed and it, I was so happy.

Examiners make mistakes. They are human

hfallada wrote: »
    I cant see how it would reduce the achievement of it. I remember I was gutted that I didnt get an A1 in Geography and an A2 in Biology in the LC. I worked so hard and felt I deserved it. When I appealed and it, I was so happy.

Examiners make mistakes. They are human

With regards to scholars today, the names have been announced, published and as we type the new scholars are munching away at their very well deserved black tie dinner and being sworn in by the provost. Even in the very very very rare event of examiners making a mistake and acknowledging that, I do not see how you could not feel robbed of the sense of achievement if you are awarded it weeks later and after a lengthy appeals process. Better to just get on with life.

It's a very unusual examination process, and awards process. All part of the experience I guess. Best of luck though to anyone taking them next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I do know someone who got 73% in one paper but it was put down as 33% so mistakes can happen.

I did hear of a mistake being made once which when rectified meant the person had gotten schols after all. They were announced the following year and got to take part in the dinner etc so they didn't miss out.

If you do feel hard done by it's no harm having a look over the papers with someone in your course, but remember the numbers who sit schols is a lot less than in the annual exams, so the chances of a mistake being made is slim.

Fringe wrote: »
    I do know someone who got 73% in one paper but it was put down as 33% so mistakes can happen.

You are killing me!! Don't offer me hope. I've given up to retain my sanity!!
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

With regards to scholars today, the names have been announced, published and as we type the new scholars are munching away at their very well deserved black tie dinner and being sworn in by the provost. Even in the very very very rare event of examiners making a mistake and acknowledging that, I do not see how you could not feel robbed of the sense of achievement if you are awarded it weeks later and after a lengthy appeals process. Better to just get on with life.

It's a very unusual examination process, and awards process. All part of the experience I guess. Best of luck though to anyone taking them next year.

If they made a mistake and you appeal you still get your Trinity Monday experience, just a year later. While Trinity Monday is great fun, the best things about schols are the incredibly generous entitlements.

For that reason I'd have a look at the papers. However, as you pointed out, it's not very likely they made a mistake.

CJC86 wrote: »
    If they made a mistake and you appeal you still get your Trinity Monday experience, just a year later. While Trinity Monday is great fun, the best things about schols are the incredibly generous entitlements.

For that reason I'd have a look at the papers. However, as you pointed out, it's not very likely they made a mistake.

Agreed it is for most of us who take it, mostly about the generous entitlements.

And

Agreed I intend to look through papers (I'd do this anyway in prep for upcoming exams) once I gather myself enough to venture into the department.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sm1233

This is strange - I averaged just under 70% for 3 of the 4 papers (as I expected). On the one paper which I was convinced I would do best in - I was hoping for a mark above 70 or 80 to bring the average above 70 - i got 30%...

Is there any way to check the papers? I was convinced afterwards this this was my best paper and yet it turned out to be my worst, by far...

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Great two days. Hard luck to all those who missed out!

sm1233 wrote: »
    This is strange - I averaged just under 70% for 3 of the 4 papers (as I expected). On the one paper which I was convinced I would do best in - I was hoping for a mark above 70 or 80 to bring the average above 70 - i got 30%...

Is there any way to check the papers? I was convinced afterwards this this was my best paper and yet it turned out to be my worst, by far...

If its any consolation I found a similar situation - got my lowest mark 68% for the paper I was sure I had aced. Go figure!?

Check with your school - check with the academic registry - and check with your tutor.

Best of luck

:-)

Thought I'd wait a day before posting this:

Schols.xlsx

It's a very primitive spreadsheet of Schols success by course. Owing to incomplete data and the questionable-worth of ranking based on a single TSM subject, most TSM courses weren't included.

Disappointingly, there don't appear to be any unexpected trends. What I was hoping to identify was a bias towards Science/Maths. While it exists (Medicine averages ten percent; BESS averages two) that can likely be explained by higher-calibre students.

However, there are some questions - for example: in the last five years (admittedly, I have been selective in choosing that period) more Nurses have "been elected" than BESS-ers; Engineers seem to do appallingly; TPs outperform Maths-ers.

I'm sure this is a question that has been considered by the College, but what is Schols trying to identify? We all know loads who are seemingly academically amazing but who didn't go for it because of having to work, not being willing to put in work, etc. Should scholars be chosen on the basis purely of intelligence? That raises the question, "What is intelligence?", "What types of intelligence?", etc. Academic success is based on more than intelligence. That a large part of Schols is recognising hard work would seem to recognise that. Should it be on how successful one is at their subject? But, are all subjects equal? TPs would perform better on Science exams than scientists on TP exams. I know TPs have to sit the Pure Maths papers for Schols, but are the Physics exams they have to sit of equal difficulty to the ones Maths-ers have to? Another question: is it fair to base it on one set of examinations? It certainly can't be said to be the most effective way of identifying the most talented. A Philosophy Dept prize for Hegel's philosophy is awarded on the basis of an exam and an 8,000 word essay. Could an essay form part of Schols? One of its criteria could be showing originality, etc - something which exams don't exactly encourage. In Oxford (and, I'm sure, Cambridge) Scholars are selected on the basis of Prelims results (usually first year exams, I think), with everyone getting a First being selected. The benefits are significantly less impressive - a "salary" similar to Trinity's, sometimes a free gown, first choice of college rooms, etc. They are explicitly to recognise those likely to get a First Class degree, and one can be demoted or promoted (though unusual) in following years. Is there any data that show the correlation between Scols success and degree classification? Is it right that a Schols First is seen as being better than a First in SF summer exams? Does it not undermine the college from within?

Slightly rambling post - I'm in a rush :p Hopefully it can spark discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Schols.xlsx

It's a very primitive spreadsheet of Schols success by course. Owing to incomplete data and the questionable-worth of ranking based on a single TSM subject, most TSM courses weren't included.

Disappointingly, there don't appear to be any unexpected trends. What I was hoping to identify was a bias towards Science/Maths. While it exists (Medicine averages ten percent; BESS averages two) that can likely be explained by higher-calibre students.

However, there are some questions - for example: in the last five years (admittedly, I have been selective in choosing that period) more Nurses have "been elected" than BESS-ers; Engineers seem to do appallingly; TPs outperform Maths-ers.

I'm sure this is a question that has been considered by the College, but what is Schols trying to identify? We all know loads who are seemingly academically amazing but who didn't go for it because of having to work, not being willing to put in work, etc. Should scholars be chosen on the basis purely of intelligence? That raises the question, "What is intelligence?", "What types of intelligence?", etc. Academic success is based on more than intelligence. That a large part of Schols is recognising hard work would seem to recognise that. Should it be on how successful one is at their subject? But, are all subjects equal? TPs would perform better on Science exams than scientists on TP exams. I know TPs have to sit the Pure Maths papers for Schols, but are the Physics exams they have to sit of equal difficulty to the ones Maths-ers have to? Another question: is it fair to base it on one set of examinations? It certainly can't be said to be the most effective way of identifying the most talented. A Philosophy Dept prize for Hegel's philosophy is awarded on the basis of an exam and an 8,000 word essay. Could an essay form part of Schols? One of its criteria could be showing originality, etc - something which exams don't exactly encourage. In Oxford (and, I'm sure, Cambridge) Scholars are selected on the basis of Prelims results (usually first year exams, I think), with everyone getting a First being selected. The benefits are significantly less impressive - a "salary" similar to Trinity's, sometimes a free gown, first choice of college rooms, etc. They are explicitly to recognise those likely to get a First Class degree, and one can be demoted or promoted (though unusual) in following years. Is there any data that show the correlation between Scols success and degree classification? Is it right that a Schols First is seen as being better than a First in SF summer exams? Does it not undermine the college from within?

Are those places numbers accurate? I am almost sure there are more TPs than maths students. There are lots of maths TSMs, but if you'd included those then there'd be 6 maths schols this year.

As regards fairness etc, it's hard to say. I don't think all subjects are equal, but that's too lengthy a subject to go into really. I do think that the selection process is pretty good (with very few exceptions, all the schols I know are very brilliant people).

Is it fair to base it on the one set of optional exams? Yes. The purpose of it is not just to identify the brightest, but those who work the hardest and go beyond what their course requires, and the current system cannot be faulted on that front. I feel that schols aims to find those students most likely to go on to graduate study (and success at graduate level) in their fields, and support them. I think it does this very well.

However, there are major flaws: for example, until this year no TSMs had gotten it in maths since 2008 (in particular, since the system changed for semesterisation in 2010). This year, the exam system was changed to be fairer, and 3 got it. I think (having seen the old and new exams) that it's fair to say the maths TSMs of previous years were disadvantaged by the system.

As regards a schol first being better... Well, it is. So is a gold medal (in my course awarded for getting over 80%). That doesn't mean a first isn't great. It certainly doesn't detract from the meaning of a first, and I've no idea how you could say it undermines the college from within.

Schols.xlsx

Re-check your figures for a start. There were only 5 pure law scholars this year, not 7 as indicated.

Re-check your figures for a start. There were only 5 pure law scholars this year, not 7 as indicated.

Thank you! The reason for that is that I had my screen split between Excel and the list of scholars, and doing that caused those with double-barrel names to be given two lines!

I meant to say that there are liable to be several mistakes. If you'll excuse me, I won't correct any that you identify, but I do encourage that you post any that are of significance.

• Advertisement

Thank you! The reason for that is that I had my screen split between Excel and the list of scholars, and doing that caused those with three-barrel names to be given two lines!

I meant to say that there are liable to be several mistakes. If you'll excuse me, I won't correct any that you identify, but I do encourage that you post any that are of significance.

Another is that there were five, and not seven, History SH/TSM Schols this year. Forgot to include the two Computer Scientists, as well.

Advertisement