Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

JeaicMaG wrote: »
    Yep you can still avail of some of the privileges if you study elsewhere such as commons as far as I know (can't really remember exactly) but they won't pay for you to study in another university.

Edit: After graduation...

"Firstly, on the day you graduate your name is listed in the programme sheet with 'disc. scol.' in parenthesis after your name. But more importantly:

If you graduate and leave college and have nothing more to do with study or research, you are still entitled to your dining rights in Commons for the rest of your time as a Scholar.

If you undertake an approved course of study or research elsewhere, you are entitled to your dining rights and to your Scholar's salary for your time as a Scholar.

If you undertake an approved course of study or research here in College, you are entitled to keep your full emoluments and priviledges for your time as a Scholar. If you are doing a postgraduate degree and are recommended to go elsewhere for up to one year, you can claim full entitlements for that year (as if you are an undergrad on Erasmus), provided you come back to College to continue your studies for at least one year afterwards"

Found this info! Should tell you all you need to know
    I wanted to do graduate pharmacy in RCSI :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I wanted to do graduate pharmacy in RCSI :cool:

Only choice you have with schols is to go with TCD Pharmacy so :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

In my finals I got a high 2.1, do I still have a chance at Schols? I don't think that this was my full potential

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

depends what subject you're studying, but I'd say if you crammed for 1st year exams then you're probably not suited for a few months of hard study leading up to schols

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

depends what subject you're studying, but I'd say if you crammed for 1st year exams then you're probably not suited for a few months of hard study leading up to schols
    Suppose it depends entirely on the course but that's not a strict rule.

I crammed the month before for my first year exams and for schols. It's not fun, it doesn't suit everyone but it can work with the right approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

is there a subject requirement grade to sit schols?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Completely dependant on the person and course material I reckon! I found them crammable but I would advise not to if possible as you'll more than likely be better prepped

As for the 2:1 I think it's perfectly possible to tbh. It will depend a lot on how similar the material covered in schols is to those exams and how hard you worked for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

yournerd wrote: »
    is there a subject requirement grade to sit schols?

No.

But you have to be realistic when deciding to go for it. If you studied your ass off in First year and scraped a 2.1 then going for Schols might be a bad idea bound to end up in disappointment and frustration.

No.

But you have to be realistic when deciding to go for it. If you studied your ass off in First year and scraped a 2.1 then going for Schols might be a bad idea bound to end up in disappointment and frustration.

Yeh I need to sit down and think bout it in fairness :/

Yeh I need to sit down and think bout it in fairness :/

Why not go for it? Its only three exams- worth a try!

• Advertisement

Just the work. With commuting and work at home Idk

4 exams for me.

4 exams for me.

You could get lucky questions on the day.

You could get lucky questions on the day.

Chances of that though!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Go for it. You really have nothing to lose, and this is speaking as someone who attempted schols and failed miserably. Sign up for it when it opens, you have time to withdraw if you start to feel like you dont want to do it. You can always just not show up, though they were talking about bringing in a fine for it this year but didn't, so maybe next year there will be one.

Polka_Dot wrote: »
    Go for it. You really have nothing to lose, and this is speaking as someone who attempted schols and failed miserably. Sign up for it when it opens, you have time to withdraw if you start to feel like you dont want to do it. You can always just not show up, though they were talking about bringing in a fine for it this year but didn't, so maybe next year there will be one.

hey now dont use my name as a sign im anything smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Just the work. With commuting and work at home Idk
    4 exams for me.
    Chances of that though!
    hey now dont use my name as a sign im anything smart.

Well if you don't wanna go for it, then don't. Stop making excuses. You will never get it with that attitude.

Well if you don't wanna go for it, then don't. Stop making excuses. You will never get it with that attitude.

okaaaaaaay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Any science scholars around?

I've been lurking here for a while and have taken some of the this thread on board. I'm probably not going to start the hard graft until September to avoid a burn out, but I'd like to start preparing and maybe doing some light reading to get me into the right mind frame. I have a lot of last years 2nd year bio/chem lecture notes here but is there anyone who would be able to give me a list (or even just an idea) of what the extra reading/work is?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

For chemistry go to all the possible schol tutorials and really listen to what clues the lecturers are giving, more often than not this comes in very handy

• Advertisement

For chemistry go to all the possible schol tutorials and really listen to what clues the lecturers are giving, more often than not this comes in very handy

Would you recommend I take chemistry schols as opposed to doing all bio? I'm about equally competent in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

Would you recommend I take chemistry schols as opposed to doing all bio? I'm about equally competent in both.

I thought you had to take three exams for science and only two of them are bio?

On page 14 it says two subjects examined for science

http://www.tcd.ie/calendar/assets/pdf/2013-14/TCDS1.pdf

If my understanding is correct you can take either two different biology options at two papers each, or else one biology option and a chemistry option? It's four papers for science, right?

This scenario is specific to the people taking BY2201-4 & CH2201 of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

If my understanding is correct you can take either two different biology options at two papers each, or else one biology option and a chemistry option? It's four papers for science, right?

This scenario is specific to the people taking BY2201-4 & CH2201 of course.

Ahh okay I getcha..no idea where I read what I read then!!

I'd like to echo your question now.. Would people recommend 2 bio options or a bio/chem split?

I was originally thinking 4 biology papers because chemistry has such a reputation for being so tough. Then I thought, if I'm going to putting in a tonne of hard work either way to tackle schols I could probably take either/or, so I'd like to get an inclination of which is more doable. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

I did science schols last year, bio (I took the molecular & cellular option) and maths. Biology is nice in that you get a special topic paper, with guided recommended reading. However last year there was no other guidance with biology, no tutorials like chemistry or maths got. I only ended up sitting the special topic biology paper as I fecked up my first maths paper and knew that I'd failed, but I can still give some advice. Really focus on understanding your lecture material at first for biology as the special topics aren't released for a little while. Once they are, the recommended reading should cover you for a lot but you may want to do some extra. I basically just covered the recommended reading and got 67% in the exam. I didn't take chemistry last year at all but the paper seems more structured. In the other biology paper basically anything from your lectures can come up. No point deciding yet, and in my experience for biology first year didn't have much bearing on what was examined. Just wait til September, have a look at some of the papers once you've covered the material and decide then what you think might be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Justice!

Also hoping to sit science schols this year! Specifically maths and chemistry. I wish they'd upload the schols papers from last year already :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Would anyone recommend sitting chemistry or physics schols? I think i'll do the the maths paper and can't really decide whether to do chemistry or physics as my second? any advice is appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Justice!

Based off past papers, I'm certainly choosing chemistry and maths over physics. I think it was stealinhorses a while back who said that the schols physics paper was absolutely brutal

Advertisement